Vanlifers or Cab over 4WD pick-up?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I've had Toyota trucks for the last 30 years and always wanted a Four Wheel Camper. Ultimately I decided to go with the GFC camper. The 4WC is really nice, but costs 3- 4 times as much as my GFC, weighs 4 times as much, and to me, 1000+ lbs is too much for a mid-size truck. All that weight really compromises off-road ability and weight tends to break sh!t. I like to cook and hang out outside- just need a cozy and comfortable bed at the end of the day. That said, if I had a 3/4 ton full size and $25-30 grand lying around the Four Wheel Camper would be my choice.
How do you like the GFC? Is it worth the price? I always thought they were awesome but I'm also really cheap and it seems like a lot of money.

Jun 16, 2012
san clemente
How do you like the GFC? Is it worth the price? I always thought they were awesome but I'm also really cheap and it seems like a lot of money.
I like it a lot, but it's not for everybody. If you're used to camping out of a camper shell, you'll be stoked. But if you frequent shitty weather and don't like climbing a ladder go to bed you'll be bummed. I think they are about 2- 3times more than a shell ($2000 or so vs $6000 for GFC) but give you so much more versatility. Some pros and cons:

Pros: side doors open for easy access all the way around (GFC calls it Cabana mode). Well built- in the USA (Montana) - Light weight (275 lbs)- Awesome customer service if anything ever goes wrong - Tent has good ventilation , windows on 3 sides in newer models- Easy mounting system for awning, roof racks, etc. - Lots of aftermarket stuff available to build your rig just how you want it

Cons: Kinda expensive,( I think they're $6500 now, I paid $5500 5 years ago) but probably still the least expensive wedge shape camper out there. - Mattress is too thin/ uncomfortable for some folks, however my wife and I both find we sleep great. Newer models have a thicker, better mattress too.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I like it a lot, but it's not for everybody. If you're used to camping out of a camper shell, you'll be stoked. But if you frequent shitty weather and don't like climbing a ladder go to bed you'll be bummed. I think they are about 2- 3times more than a shell ($2000 or so vs $6000 for GFC) but give you so much more versatility. Some pros and cons:

Pros: side doors open for easy access all the way around (GFC calls it Cabana mode). Well built- in the USA (Montana) - Light weight (275 lbs)- Awesome customer service if anything ever goes wrong - Tent has good ventilation , windows on 3 sides in newer models- Easy mounting system for awning, roof racks, etc. - Lots of aftermarket stuff available to build your rig just how you want it

Cons: Kinda expensive,( I think they're $6500 now, I paid $5500 5 years ago) but probably still the least expensive wedge shape camper out there. - Mattress is too thin/ uncomfortable for some folks, however my wife and I both find we sleep great. Newer models have a thicker, better mattress too.
San Clemente boys know their camping. Get outta town on the weekends.

Change of pace. My buddy has been camping down here since I first knew him in 1996 camping on the beach. The beach has been sold in lots so we’re neighbors for a few months. He’s had all kinds of different setups over the years, from tent camping to this
1708125791479.jpeg
Light weight and self contained with all of the comforts of home. Setup time from unloading start to habitable 3 hours. Including assembly, electrical (solar), kitchen, etc. Not a weekend rig but he stays for two to four months.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

Change of pace. My buddy has been camping down here since I first knew him in 1996 camping on the beach. The beach has been sold in lots so we’re neighbors for a few months. He’s had all kinds of different setups over the years, from tent camping to this
View attachment 172981
Light weight and self contained with all of the comforts of home. Setup time from unloading start to habitable 3 hours. Including assembly, electrical (solar), kitchen, etc. Not a weekend rig but he stays for two to four months.
He brought that shed with him and set up?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
He brought that shed with him and set up?
In 3 hours. Boxes of screws and a battery powered drill. He’d set it up without screws in Colorado to make sure everything fit. Sandwich panels with polystyrene sheets so very light weight.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation

View attachment 172981
Odd place for the shitter. Im not sure I agree with the Feng Shui. Why not just set up on the slab nect door?

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and Chocki

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Odd place for the shitter. Im not sure I agree with the Feng Shui. Why not just set up on the slab nect door?
:roflmao:That’s from a bathroom that got cancelled a few years ago. The slab is storage space for lumber and building materials.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
In 3 hours. Boxes of screws and a battery powered drill. He’d set it up without screws in Colorado to make sure everything fit. Sandwich panels with polystyrene sheets so very light weight.
i get the walls. but the roof is watertight and what? and the floor joists and sheeting?

looks to have little to no shear. hows it do in the wind with the weight of the solar on the roof?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
i get the walls. but the roof is watertight and what? and the floor joists and sheeting?

looks to have little to no shear. hows it do in the wind with the weight of the solar on the roof?
Yes, watertight. A foot off the ground, not a problem for the floor. It’s as tight as reasonably achievable. Solar panels are on the ground and easy to move. Hurricane and all bets are off.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Is it a Sauna? Does it protect from the heat? I used to have a similar greenhouse
Well insulated and windows all around. Fan too. The heat comes in May so he’ll head out then depending on how the surf is. When there’s no breeze you’re fkd anyway. You get used to it to a point. Dump a couple of gallons of water on your head. Li dat. It’s camping, comfy is relative.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Well insulated and windows all around. Fan too. The heat comes in May so he’ll head out then depending on how the surf is. When there’s no breeze you’re fkd anyway. You get used to it to a point. Dump a couple of gallons of water on your head. Li dat. It’s camping, comfy is relative.
My wife thinks camping is in her 30ft RV. AC. Heat. Kitchen. Bathroom. Aftermarket mattress. I lived in it for 8?weeks down in Bakersfield on business. AC is a must. I lived in Yosemite in a pup tent one summer. Lived in my Jeep Cherokee for a couple years on Maui