Vanlifers or Cab over 4WD pick-up?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
@silentbutdeadly the storage is minimal compared to a hard side camper. no upper cabinets. for two people and a dog doing month+ trips we have to be pretty strict about what we bring (just ignore the 6 surfboards on top). I removed the back seat on the driver side of the Tundra for this recent trip which actually opened up a bit more space. I don't like to store too much stuff in the aisle of the camper because we still like being able to climb in to grab food from the fridge or cabinets.

the fatbikes were a new addition this year and I loved having them. great for exploring each zone once we had camp set up and I also used mine for fishing more than I expected. also had a surfboard rack on mine which I didn't use a ton but really appreciated it when i did use it to surf different waves a few miles from where we were camped.

more storage and a better floor layout are the main reasons I'm considering the flatbed version of the Hawk or a hard side camper at some point.
My buddy who has the truck I posted is thinking of going to this, so he doesn’t have to buy a new Hawk

it’s also fully Integrated to get you more storage

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Those look pretty sweet. Not gonna lie the norweld trays are on my radar in the future with a flatbed camper as well.
Have you priced them? Holy fck.

The sherptek option is sweet but a part of why I like the flatbed hawk option is the floor plan is a bit better. For two people and a dog the front dinette layout is kind of rough.

Much to consider.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Still at least 4 years away but I'm daydreaming my empty nest rig on this thread.

Ah hell who am I kidding. both kids will be in college and I'll be bragging about my 6 man tent strapped to the roof of my 25 year old truck

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Have you priced them? Holy fck.

The sherptek option is sweet but a part of why I like the flatbed hawk option is the floor plan is a bit better. For two people and a dog the front dinette layout is kind of rough.

Much to consider.
Too scared to price them. I go back and forth between keeping the slide in and something like the sherptek for the storage or full on flat bed when I day dream. But I’m in the same boat as you as far as dog, me and the lady.

I’m glad I went with the shell in the end. Early hunting season is wet, muddy and ticky. It’s nice to have the dog contained in a kennel between hunts until I can wipe him down. And I can sit on a few folding chairs with the Lagun when the kennel is out.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Aruka

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
If any of y'all kooks is interested: I used to own this 2003 VW Eurovan- and it's for sale. it's top notch. I sold it to the current owner - and his family's outgrown it, so he asked me to help him sell it - and he just drove it drove it down to my house in Charleston. I originally bought it from GoWesty in Los Osos. If y'all know anyone who's interested, pass it along. He's gonna ask $30K firm. It's got 216K miles. Redone timing chains and transmission - and a ton of work to keep it in good shape. Dude from NJ came down and interviewed me about it in this video a few years ago.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
If any of y'all kooks is interested: I used to own this 2003 VW Eurovan- and it's for sale. it's top notch. I sold it to the current owner - and his family's outgrown it, so he asked me to help him sell it - and he just drove it drove it down to my house in Charleston. I originally bought it from GoWesty in Los Osos. If y'all know anyone who's interested, pass it along. He's gonna ask $30K firm. It's got 216K miles. Redone timing chains and transmission - and a ton of work to keep it in good shape. Dude from NJ came down and interviewed me about it in this video a few years ago.
I had a 2003 MV without the popup. It was the best vehicle I ever owned. Mobile office, sports team hauler and camper.
Unfortunately, something to do with the gas tank made it un-smoggable. Finding a new or used tank was almost impossible so after 187K miles, we reluctantly traded her in as a down payment on a Jetta wagon. Not a bad car but not even close to the Eurovan MV.
It's the only vehicle that I miss and wish I still had.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I had a 2003 MV without the popup. It was the best vehicle I ever owned. Mobile office, sports team hauler and camper.
Unfortunately, something to do with the gas tank made it un-smoggable. Finding a new or used tank was almost impossible so after 187K miles, we reluctantly traded her in as a down payment on a Jetta wagon. Not a bad car but not even close to the Eurovan MV.
It's the only vehicle that I miss and wish I still had.
Yeah - it was the carbon vapor cannister. I think I got the last one available on the planet and put it on the van before I sold it.

• Sad
Reactions: npsp

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Trailers have so many disadvantages. I remember my neighbor telling the story of going down a mountainous,single lane, forest service road that dead ended. She had to backup for miles (no place to turn around with a trailer). Steep drop offs.

The one big advantage is the ability to drop them off at a campsite and then do day trips in the vehicle.

Jun 16, 2012
san clemente
I've had Toyota trucks for the last 30 years and always wanted a Four Wheel Camper. Ultimately I decided to go with the GFC camper. The 4WC is really nice, but costs 3- 4 times as much as my GFC, weighs 4 times as much, and to me, 1000+ lbs is too much for a mid-size truck. All that weight really compromises off-road ability and weight tends to break sh!t. I like to cook and hang out outside- just need a cozy and comfortable bed at the end of the day. That said, if I had a 3/4 ton full size and $25-30 grand lying around the Four Wheel Camper would be my choice.IMG_7261.jpegIMG_7695.jpeg

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I've had Toyota trucks for the last 30 years and always wanted a Four Wheel Camper. Ultimately I decided to go with the GFC camper. The 4WC is really nice, but costs 3- 4 times as much as my GFC, weighs 4 times as much, and to me, 1000+ lbs is too much for a mid-size truck. All that weight really compromises off-road ability and weight tends to break sh!t. I like to cook and hang out outside- just need a cozy and comfortable bed at the end of the day. That said, if I had a 3/4 ton full size and $25-30 grand lying around the Four Wheel Camper would be my choice.View attachment 172951View attachment 172952
The Oracle has spoken!

Reactions: Chocki