A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^^ Nice!
How are those Sheephead for eating?
The Sheephead we have here are a different fish altogether.
They're so incredibly stupid I refuse to shoot them but have eaten them and they're great. You can literally tap them on the forehead with your spear tip and they don't . It's fun to crack open sea urchins and watch them go to town. It seems like big males have been taken at so many of the more fished reefs along on the coast, and the females that morph into the new male are then taken, repeat and over time the male sheepies at that reef get smaller and smaller and it's rare to see big males. Another reason I don't shoot them.

Reactions: Aruka and keenfish

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Those Pacific sheepshead look a lot more like our tautog or blackfish here. Our sheepshead aren't a bad eating fish but certainly not my favorite. Little soft but makes a good ceviche.

Last night had some fluke crudo and trigger ceviche. I've been eating fish a lot lately.s

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
yeah I was on my buddy's boat today and it's slipped so he has no choice. Thank god I can fill my boat up on land, which still isn't cheap obviously but better than 9 bucks

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Filled my tank this week on land since the boat is still trailered. $8.15 a gallon but that was for av gas. Trying to work out some kinks with the carbs and the 2 stroke loves that 100 octane, leaded, non ethanol gas. Neighbor is a pilot and has easy access so why not.