A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Which begs the question: Which would you prefer to catch, the big bass or the stringer of crappie? Doesn't matter if its crappie, white perch, schoolie stripers, chicken dolphin or sea bass, I'll take large numbers of small fish over a slow day catching one or two big fish any day of the week.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm too lazy to clean panfish. Those trout were bonkers but the bass (for around here) is a nice bass but not really a hawg bass.

Depends on the gear/day. I'd rather hook one 2-3' tarpon on 10#/8wt style gear than catch eleventy schoolie jacks on 10#. I'd rather happen upon a mess of crappie if trying to fish with my friend's young children.

But if it was 50# braid those TV people use around structure throwing subsurface, and the crappie were coming topshelf for bugs on 2wt gear, crappie all day.

I've seen some pretty fishy people get real fired up about a crappie bite turning on due to the food value. Never had it but heard it claimed.

Reactions: mundus

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
Shoots, I've caught stringers of Crappie on mini Rooster Tails. Those fish will eat just about anything. Ok, well admittedly, I never caught one on a plug, but they do like bright, shiny objects. :applause2:

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Shoots, I've caught stringers of Crappie on mini Rooster Tails. Those fish will eat just about anything. Ok, well admittedly, I never caught one on a plug, but they do like bright, shiny objects. :applause2:
Small rapalas are deadly.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Finally lined up a window of time to drag the kayak out on a flattish day. Tossed around a weighted 2oz jig head with a white swim bait for a couple hours and got into multiple smallish ling cod. Kept this one 28" because I can't resist the blue meat. Insert Avatar anime pron joke here.

Swallowing some pride posting the fillet pics. The thin side cut is an absolute hack job but worked out for the dog who got the scraps. Cheeks and belly got marinaded in Yoshidas and tossed on the smoker. The rest got breaded in seasoned flour, eggwash, and panko. Brushed with melted butter and thrown on the Traeger.

thumbnail_IMG_3837.jpg

Attachments

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Greenling!

I need a new ocean kayak rod. Spinning. Is 8 ft too long? My current rod is 6 ft and too heavy for lighter jigs. The rest of my gear is all surf casting stuff for baja so its too long. Thought maybe an 8ft rod could work for kayak fishing and also be useful from the shore.

I haven't fried fish for ages but I found an unopened box of Panko in my cupboard and it felt like a sign.20220530_191912.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
IMO 8 foot is too long for a yak. You just don't have the leverage sitting down. 7 ft seemed perfect when fishing the kayak
thanks. that's pretty much what my gut's been telling me but it's good to hear it from someone i sort of like and respect.

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
thanks. that's pretty much what my gut's been telling me but it's good to hear it from someone i sort of like and respect.
Greenling might be the perfect eating fish. Fun to catch, tastier and more crab like meat than ling, and fillets out perfectly every time.

I've got the cheapest 7ft Ugly Stick and ocean reel possible for kayak fishing. Around here it's not a question of if but when you'll go over on a sit on top like mine launching or landing. Don't want to shed any tears losing gear. Current set up has lasted 10 years or so and has killed thousands of dollars worth of fish. Probably the most cost efficient fishing gear I own.

Reactions: Hump and Aruka