A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Greenling might be the perfect eating fish. Fun to catch, tastier and more crab like meat than ling, and fillets out perfectly every time.

I've got the cheapest 7ft Ugly Stick and ocean reel possible for kayak fishing. Around here it's not a question of if but when you'll go over on a sit on top like mine launching or landing. Don't want to shed any tears losing gear. Current set up has lasted 10 years or so and has killed thousands of dollars worth of fish. Probably the most cost efficient fishing gear I own.

warble: I had something like this:

Always on when going through the surf. But yeah, nothing expensive when kayak fishing!

Reactions: warble2 and Aruka

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Greenling might be the perfect eating fish. Fun to catch, tastier and more crab like meat than ling, and fillets out perfectly every time.

I've got the cheapest 7ft Ugly Stick and ocean reel possible for kayak fishing. Around here it's not a question of if but when you'll go over on a sit on top like mine launching or landing. Don't want to shed any tears losing gear. Current set up has lasted 10 years or so and has killed thousands of dollars worth of fish. Probably the most cost efficient fishing gear I own.
I agree and have enjoyed more than a few meals over the years featuring Greenling as a main dish. Mostly caught from out-jutting rocky points and the like while on exploratory surf trips.

Got this one last year from my Tyee rowboat, somehow managing to foul hook it, likely as it turned after taking a swipe at the spoon.
I didn't bother getting out the net for it.

DSCN6852.JPG

Take care.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
^Where are the forward pectoral fins?^
We save all ours and smoke them, yummy little tidbits.
That fish stock looks muy bueno!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
^Where are the forward pectoral fins?^
We save all ours and smoke them, yummy little tidbits.
That fish stock looks muy bueno!
Collar is at bottom left. Chicken wings of the sea. I remove the head first, then the collar, add trim to stock pot as I go.

hackeysaky

Miki Dora status
Dec 19, 2002
NJ
I'll second what surfer57 said; these flat-ish spells don't even bother me when I can consistently pull dinner (summer flounder/fluke) from the nearshore gully or the waters near my work, or beach-launch my kayak when bunker and associated predators are running nearshore. C&R'ed so freaking many striped bass in the 42-48" range (NJ has a slot of 28-38") this spring, got into 4-6' spinner sharks a week or so ago (fun to fight but a handful up close when only 6" off the water in a 30" wide kayak), lost a rather large cobia (low-point of my season so far), and the high-point of my season (same session as the lost cobia, so took a bit of the sting out of it) was releasing my PB bass (pic below) between 52-53".

IMG_0059.JPG

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I'll second what surfer57 said; these flat-ish spells don't even bother me when I can consistently pull dinner (summer flounder/fluke) from the nearshore gully or the waters near my work, or beach-launch my kayak when bunker and associated predators are running nearshore. C&R'ed so freaking many striped bass in the 42-48" range (NJ has a slot of 28-38") this spring, got into 4-6' spinner sharks a week or so ago (fun to fight but a handful up close when only 6" off the water in a 30" wide kayak), lost a rather large cobia (low-point of my season so far), and the high-point of my season (same session as the lost cobia, so took a bit of the sting out of it) was releasing my PB bass (pic below) between 52-53".

View attachment 132758
Nice Striper...we used to have those in the bay (plentifully), now they are all further north with the Omega boats taking all the menhaden and warming temps.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I think recent efforts at rebuilding the menhaden stocks have been by and large successful?

But that may not be the case down south. For a long time the giant commercial menhaden fleets were scooping them all up to feed the fast growing demand for omega 3 supplements. Up here there are light years more menhaden these last few years (and the stripers, dolphins and whales that follow the menhaden shoals) compared to when I was a wee lad in the 80s

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I think recent efforts at rebuilding the menhaden stocks have been by and large successful?

But that may not be the case down south. For a long time the giant commercial menhaden fleets were scooping them all up to feed the fast growing demand for omega 3 supplements. Up here there are light years more menhaden these last few years (and the stripers, dolphins and whales that follow the menhaden shoals) compared to when I was a wee lad in the 80s
You got to have a big biomass of bait fish for everything else to flourish.

It's crazy how the managers have left that into laps until they had to make drastic decisions to put safeguards in place to correct the over harvest.

Stoked to hear they are making it right again where you are.

Reactions: Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Man when there is a miles-long shoal of menhaden, just a few hundred yards Outside the second sandbar…whales jumping everywhere gorging themselves, stripers and blues blitzing, and giant gannets dive bombing like kamikaze fighters off Okinawa…so epic

Reactions: wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011

Yes ALL other states besides Virginia...We still allow the Omega boats and have taken on other state's quotas b.c. of Covid or some bullshit. It's fcked up.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes ALL other states besides Virginia...We still allow the Omega boats and have taken on other state's quotas b.c. of Covid or some bullshit. It's fcked up.
We need to rig up Menhaden Mapquest and have them head up past B-more, through the canal, and into Delaware Bay.

I feel way worse for the resident crab trapping low country tidewater types than I do the Peloton Omega-3 factory fishing ecosystem rape schooner. Torpedo those damn fish oil shitbarges, sell the scrap, and pocket the proceeds.

Reactions: One-Off and wedge2

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
We need to rig up Menhaden Mapquest and have them head up past B-more, through the canal, and into Delaware Bay.

I feel way worse for the resident crab trapping low country tidewater types than I do the Peloton Omega-3 factory fishing ecosystem rape schooner. Torpedo those damn fish oil shitbarges, sell the scrap, and pocket the proceeds.
I'm with you...they drag the bottom and fck up all the crabbing in the bay as well. Luckily our little river into the bay is very clean and healthy, most are struggling. It's all the lobbying in state politics, a problem just like the federal level.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
I'm with you...they drag the bottom and fck up all the crabbing in the bay as well. Luckily our little river into the bay is very clean and healthy, most are struggling. It's all the lobbying in state politics, a problem just like the federal level.
Pretty much same here in NC with shrimp trawlers in nursery areas, in particular Pamlico Sound. I love fresh shrimp but damn the bycatch is ridiculous.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
From what I understand it's not easy to get a commercial trawling shrimpboat permit or whatever in North Florida.

One day, summertime, with southerly winds, felt like minor upwelling and the very murky water Duval gets with any prolonged SE/SSE/S winds, I tried to castnet some baitfish, and I caught like two shitty little fish not worth trying to put a hook through, and like half a dozen shrimp, wading into thigh deep water and tossing the net to like chest deep water past the drop off.

I adore shrimp but if everyone could toss a net anywhere and have several dozen in an hour, plus hilariously better fishing for very accessible and edible surf species like spot, whiting, croaker, seatrouts, red/black drum, I'd have to call it a win.

When the state of Florida banned gill netting in state waters in the mid-90s I thought the fishing improved. Shame the 04 hurricanes and Okeechobee snafus since n00ked the Indian River Lagoon's seagrass flats.