Surfings' Olympic Debut

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Well you just knew this was coming.

A complete load of utter ethnocentric rubbish.

As has been stated many times, surfing probably did not originate in Hawaii, or even in Polynesia. We will never know, but many people from many cultures worldwide have been riding waves on boards for centuries. Anyone with deep travel experience in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, São Tomé, Madagascar, Peru and other places will know - they have seen the modern version of what people in these places have been doing for millennia.

What is certain is the first recorded observation of surfing by educated Europeans was described by Captain James Cook and Joseph Banks - in text and illustrations. Incidents of surfing in many other places before this had never been recorded as most seamen were illiterate and did not have an interested audience - Cook and Banks were both literate and did have an interested audience, being commissioned by the Royal Navy to record the transit of Venus in Tahiti in 1769 along with and any and all interesting natural and human history in the Pacific - like natives riding waves on surfing boards.

I have some sympathy for the Kahanamoku family not controlling their surname trademark, but the rules for trademark registration are the same for everyone regardless of ethnicity. If you can't manage it yourself, find a lawyer who can do it for you.

Business doesn't run on sentiment and if the Kahanamoku name has value in the marketplace, no one is going to give the family money for their dead ancestors legacy -

The business acumen of the Quiksilver people certainly made a lot of money in partnership with the Aikau family, maybe another company can do the same for the Kahanamoku clan.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
do you think Medina is just as good in the s m a l l stuff?
:shrug:
A few years ago he and his sister showed up where we were surfing. The waves were waist to chest high, crumbling and really weak. He put on a hell of a show. It was amazing to see what he could do with such gutless waves. His little sister rips too.

pic from that day

IMG_5408.JPG

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
That looks incredibly lame.
It looks kinda weak. Like, it's steep, but looks like there's no juice to it :shrug:

Never the less, I hope they build them everywhere. Everyone's ocean positioning sense will be crap and I'll get more waves :waving:

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
I'm a John fan and I don't think he should be back so soon. If it's small, which it most likely will be, he's going to have a tough time against the Brazzos even if he wasn't coming off of ACL surgery. Maybe the injury wasn't that bad. I just don't have a good feeling about this.

Carissa. Go girl!

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Why do you say that? Were you a disappointed olympic hopeful, or just some mouthy shmuck on the internet?
angry from the lack of surf that perpetuates his life on a daily basis.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I'm kinda looking forward to this.

Wonder if they can come up with a better format than the WQS/SL .... Maybe a round robin by countries including men/women/other all into one same category?

:shrug::computer::D