Surfings' Olympic Debut

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
is JJF healed? Andino? Will Kelly find a way?
What about the venue? Cyclone swell or f l a t n e ss.....
Go Carissa too!

:jamon::jamon::jamon:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i believe it wil be super tiny for the olympix

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I was watching the qualifier in El Salvador and heard over and over how this is so important to really grow the sport and get the whole world surfing.

Also, Fernando is an egomaniac.

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
I'm a little ticked off that half the Japanese Olympic Surf Team are Americans claiming to be dual citizenship. Japan does not allow dual citizenship pass the age of 22, both Kanoa Igarashi and Mahina Maeda are 23. That means they had to stand before a Japanese official and renounce their American citizenship. It's not that easy to give up American citizenship and the U.S. Government just looks the other way.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Hoping its flatter than a summer ESA contest at New Smyrna Beach. Fook the Olympics.
Smyrna is the most consistent spot in Florida and the amount of rideable days there with punty skatepark sections for modern air surfing during the summer is pretty high. I think you meant Juno Beach. The primary departures from quarter pipe drop to hip launches this summer has primarily been when there is too much swell/wind.

I'm a little ticked off that half the Japanese Olympic Surf Team are Americans claiming to be dual citizenship. Japan does not allow dual citizenship pass the age of 22, both Kanoa Igarashi and Mahina Maeda are 23. That means they had to stand before a Japanese official and renounce their American citizenship. It's not that easy to give up American citizenship and the U.S. Government just looks the other way.
Thoughts on bodyboarding potentially being an olympic sport? Read something about that being on the horizon. Personally, not sure how they'd ensure jacking slabs with lurching launch sections galore, unless they permanently host the Summer games in Sydney and they rove from Tassie or Knight's through NSW. As much as I loved Hot Summer Nights in the 80s, and respect to Brian Press, whitewash spinners aren't what I had in mind.

Reactions: Mr J

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I like watching the fast paced stuff like sprint swimming (50m/100m) , T&F 100-200m, women's gymnastics, and high dive fails. I'll watch the surfing and hope there decent waves. Rooting for Carissa and JJF/Kolohe but would put my $ on Italo followed by Medina.

Reactions: Boneroni

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Do people still watch Olympics? I thought that was over after the whole thing was proven to be the worlds largest money laundering scam?
I love watching the alpine skiing events. That's about it.

Oh...and ______ 's photos reminded me I like the synchronized swimming too. :dancing:

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I like watching the fast paced stuff like sprint swimming (50m/100m) , T&F 100-200m, women's gymnastics, and high dive fails. I'll watch the surfing and hope there decent waves. Rooting for Carissa and JJF/Kolohe but would put my $ on Italo followed by Medina.
do you think Medina is just as good in the s m a l l stuff?
:shrug:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
do you think Medina is just as good in the s m a l l stuff?
:shrug:
It was almost 10 years ago but youtube search for Gabriel Medina biggest air (in Portugal) and also surfing before US open heats. But if the surf is like knee high it's going to be a snooze fest for everyone.

Reactions: potato-nator