Fin Volume?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
He was referring to surface area, and clearly not meant to be taken as volume in the way we measure sarfborts' volume :D
OP specifically said volume as opposed to surface area; you sure about this?

We are talking about two Americans and in 20 seconds of googling I see the shaper is from Southern Orange County. It basically checks out, and I can't fkn wait to see how @Northern_Shores reacts to 'square hectares' after being forced to swallow 'cubic liters' like a small cellmate.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
OP specifically said volume as opposed to surface area; you sure about this?

We are talking about two Americans and in 20 seconds of googling I see the shaper is from Southern Orange County. It basically checks out, and I can't fkn wait to see how @Northern_Shores reacts to 'square hectares' after being forced to swallow 'cubic liters' like a small cellmate.
Yes, I listened to the podcast, and also a regular listener. DLS is a smart guy too, he's not referring to volume.

While we're on the topic of Americans, it strikes me that the general American audience / public tends to take things very literally and don't read intent behind what's said, which is the case here... in my opinion of course. Case in point the recent discussion on "wearing a leash vs not wearing a leash" and the backlash they got for it.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Yes, I listened to the podcast, and also a regular listener. DLS is a smart guy too, he's not referring to volume.

While we're on the topic of Americans, it strikes me that the general American audience / public tends to take things very literally and don't read intent behind what's said, which is the case here... in my opinion of course. Case in point the recent discussion on "wearing a leash vs not wearing a leash" and the backlash they got for it.
No he was referring to volume. He asked about “measuring volume.“ Then Parker responded that he guessed you could measure the displacement of the fin and mentioned fin thickness before diplomatically walking him back to an explanation about surface area.

And I believe surface area had already been brought up before he said measuring volume. He wasn’t mixng his words. It was right after they had a discussion about spiral vee being a double inside a single concave.

Reactions: sdsrfr

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
so holding in hands thinking of surfboard terms... my mayhems seem to have more "volume" than my john johns. I compare it to a board shaped for someone 195 lbs vs 180-185 if that makes sense? What does this do?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
still saying he meant to ask about foil.

nvs naca foils are certainly different at low speeds than a traditional surf fin foil.

looks at airplanes and wing foil with respect to required takeoff speed and distance and makes sense applied to certain types of waves we surf.

Reactions: ghostshaper

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
Yes and next we need to calculate wax and pad weight as well? Oh wait what about leash and string?:drowning:
Wax volume, not weight, is the number you really need to key in on as it drives everything else on your wax job. To properly calculate volume though you'll need to know the density of your wax, as some have molecules closer together than others, and I think it's pretty obvious to everyone that air isn't very sticky. I tell you though, once you get your wax volumes properly calculated and plug that number into a wax area calculator your softop will go like never before.

Note: be sure to apply at the proper psi for your given volume/area needs. Too low psi and your bumps are too big, too high and you may as well be waxing with base coat. You can download our wax app to help get you dialed.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

Not to overly continue the debate on interpretation especially within a forum - haha!

I just started listening to them out of boredom. Chas is funny and super witty. Though he will say one thing and a few minutes later contradict his earlier statements. That's his MO, he shoots from the hip quickly and he is truly smart. I am not so sure about DLS.

Ironic statement to say, DLS is a smart guy but he was referring to something other than he said. Is this the definition of an oxymoron:)? Words have meaning, more words together provide better context so decimating sentences and providing wrong context is poor for the audience/public.

When he said volume, I was thinking really? This is a guy who does a surf podcast and has been involved in the industry for years.

The second blow to DLS and Chas is when recently a viewer sent them an informative book on waves and beaches. DLS said he would never read it, even though ignorant of fundamental concepts for surfing. To me, they have no desire in learning and will continue to make incorrect statements without any interest in improving fundamental information to their podcast.

Last blow to DLS, for which his name is David Lee (ie Van Halen). He wants to name his son Wolfgang and doesn't know Eddie Van Halen's son name is Wolfgang.

Done with listening to that podcast - that was short and sweet.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
do you like the nvs at low speed
haven’t fully put mine through their paces as winter abruptly stopped right as my set arrived but found that they don’t have nearly the same drive in mushy flatter faces than in waves where you have plenty of speed to spare.

conversely, I was swapping in the CC upright twin set that have gobs of low speed drive, but really, too much when the waves have plenty of push.

my conclusions are drawn from a handful of sessions and running the CC‘s when the swell peaked and then NVS on the drop, and back to the CC’s with whatever was left.

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
still saying he meant to ask about foil.

nvs naca foils are certainly different at low speeds than a traditional surf fin foil.

looks at airplanes and wing foil with respect to required takeoff speed and distance and makes sense applied to certain types of waves we surf.
waxfoot claims the guy is intelligent. Foil and volume are not even remotely related unless you think he meant thicker vs thinner foil. Parker touched on that and that is not what he was talking about. Listen to it again.

Reactions: oeste858 and j_mac

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The second blow to DLS and Chas is when recently a viewer sent them an informative book on waves and beaches. DLS said he would never read it, even though ignorant of fundamental concepts for surfing. To me, they have no desire in learning and will continue to make incorrect statements without any interest in improving fundamental information to their podcast.
I used to listen, but eventually I got tired of this. They just want to talk, which apparently some people want to listen to, but a lot of the stuff they say is nonsense. What was the book they were sent?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I used to listen, but eventually I got tired of this. They just want to talk, which apparently some people want to listen to, but a lot of the stuff they say is nonsense. What was the book they were sent?
I believe it was "Waves and Beaches" which was originally written by Bascom, but the newer edition by McCoy. I have not read the latest edition to comment if recent scientific improvements of nearshore processes are included.

My buddy just sent me Finnigan. I look forward to reading it.

Reactions: HSY and MathDebater