Fin Volume?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
waxfoot claims the guy is intelligent. Foil and volume are not even remotely related unless you think he meant thicker vs thinner foil. Parker touched on that and that is not what he was talking about. Listen to it again.
Yes. Thicker or thinner foils. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. Thickness to chord ratio.

1620318121913.png

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
waxfoot claims the guy is intelligent. Foil and volume are not even remotely related unless you think he meant thicker vs thinner foil. Parker touched on that and that is not what he was talking about. Listen to it again.
Maybe waxy is right and we’re just dumb seppos taking words too literally. But I also thought DLS asked the question he wanted to, and I was surprised that he brought up volume, because you never hear about it. In regards to foil, I understood he was asking about the thickness, and what affect this has on the fins’ performance. I would be curious if anyone has talked about how fin designers determine the thickness of a fin... other than “years of experience that we never will”
There’s a thousand other factors to explain my bogged turns before “fin volume”, but hey- it’s better than a 10-page thread about leash strings!

@MathDebater , I’ve only listened to the Twinsman pod because I was curious what the shaper had to say about the board. DLS seems a little too pleased with the depth of his surf knowledge and experience (like most of us on erBB). Yet he didn’t seem to grasp that his roundpintail wasn’t gonna surf exactly the same way Matt was describing the standard swallowtail version.
I kinda can’t stand him.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I'm firmly team sex wax. Sticky bumps just turns into a disgusting blob and comes off in chunks way too early. I like low maintenance wax, I can leave sex wax on for a long time no problems. As long as I'm using the right temp, I never slip.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm firmly team sex wax. Sticky bumps just turns into a disgusting blob and comes off in chunks way too early. I like low maintenance wax, I can leave sex wax on for a long time no problems. As long as I'm using the right temp, I never slip.
didya know SB comes in different temps too??

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
if it didn't have the word "sex" in the name, no groms would've used it and no one would try it as an adult. even non-surfers know the name. genius branding for an inferior wax. come at me.
Early on sex wax was one of the bezt wax pre sticky bumps they called it "wax research" and it sucked:toilet: Sex wax is solid wax and I like as base coat "tropical" and 1'st coat cool or cold some times but not as daily. I just started using 5x sticky bumps cold/cool for daily and like cold or cool SB more then sexwax after base coat.