Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I'll start the list (feel free to add):
1) He doesn't like side to side wobble;
2) Can't adjust fore/aft;
3) Base has to have cant;
4) Same cost to install FCS plugs vs. Futures;
if they are cnc'd, the wobble wont be there. the adjusted tabs aren't part of the dscussion since they would be "produced" by someone other than himself. numero thre does matter if he isn't making them. 4? who cares

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
if they are cnc'd, the wobble wont be there. the adjusted tabs aren't part of the dscussion since they would be "produced" by someone other than himself. numero thre does matter if he isn't making them. 4? who cares
Boxes have variance. Same set of fins can fit perfectly in one board but not another.

Reactions: Havoc

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
I have over 20 boards from many different shapers - one constant is that I use Greg's fins in all of them - So yes all my boards are FCS only!

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
I'm not looked at as a valid designer of fins

Otherwise fin companys would be contacting me

I have a whole box full of single fin templates that create additional speed = More fun ;-)
Did something happen between you and Futures in the past? Bad blood? Is that why you’re resistant to making fins for their boxes? I ask because your comment seems to indicate that. Maybe I’m reading to much into it. I guess that’s part of the fun with some of the cryptic comments.
But, it seems like there’s enough peeps (on here especially, myself included) who recognize how valid your fin designs are that you’d be able to sell quite a few sets if you’d do them in Futures base.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Did something happen between you and Futures in the past? Bad blood? Is that why you’re resistant to making fins for their boxes? I ask because your comment seems to indicate that. Maybe I’m reading to much into it. I guess that’s part of the fun with some of the cryptic comments.
But, it seems like there’s enough peeps (on here especially, myself included) who recognize how valid your fin designs are that you’d be able to sell quite a few sets if you’d do them in Futures base.
Posted many times its too expensive to make - extra material and machining -no one here will pay for it

Thats all there is to it

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Posted many times its too expensive to make - extra material and machining -no one here will pay for it

Thats all there is to it
Fair enough. Since guys like Marlin Bacon, Jeff Beck, Donald Brink, etc are doing Futures bases for their custom fins, is that easier and more cost effective since they are using wood?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
How many of their cnc'd fins have you had wobble with? boxes do have variance...but that seems to effect the molded fins more than the cnc action
I agree: CNC would be closer tolerance, but if the box varies, then it makes no difference if the fin is the correct width. I have no boards w/ Futures any more. Didn't use any molded Futures. Hated using tape to keep the cant from changing. If I picked up a used board w/ Futures, I'd probably reroute the boxes.

The side grub screw fixes any wobble. Only use 4wfs in my boards, have a Griffin w/ FCS fusions.