The Official Wine Thread!

jackcheez

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 9, 2015
My favorite winery in the Paso/Templeton area is Zin Alley. Terry Hoage's TH Estate up that way is also very nice. I'll try LXV next time we're in the area.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
They told me what gbg said- they don't send their good wines overseas. Sei matto? Are you crazy?
They claim it doesn't "travel." My friend of this family had travelled to the USA and California and said the wine was "troppo stagionato." Too seasoned, although this translation doesn't capture the sense. He said Italian wines were "piu' fresco," fresher.
I think there is a lot of folklore and pride in what they are saying. I have a hard time believing they are leaving money on the table by hoarding their best wine and selling it unbranded for peanuts compared to what it would fetch on the world market, if it was really world class. France exports lots of bottles that are well over $1000+ a piece because of their pedigree, whether or not it’s deserved.

Wine travels just fine, as long as their is decent temperature control. It can handle being jostled around quite a bit compared to beer.

That said, there really is no true objective measure of quality, so it is in the eye of the beholder. You can typically make a judgement based on chemical indicators and the presence of flaws, but in the end it’s subjective. You either like it or you don’t. What I imagine that guy was getting at when he said California wine was “too seasoned” was that they are typically fuller bodied and more textured, while Euro wines are often more acidic and lighter bodied. IMO California wine is pushed too far in that direction, and I prefer something more in the middle of those 2 styles.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I think there is a lot of folklore and pride in what they are saying. I have a hard time believing they are leaving money on the table by hoarding their best wine and selling it unbranded for peanuts compared to what it would fetch on the world market, if it was really world class. France exports lots of bottles that are well over $1000+ a piece because of their pedigree, whether or not it’s deserved.

Wine travels just fine, as long as their is decent temperature control. It can handle being jostled around quite a bit compared to beer.

That said, there really is no true objective measure of quality, so it is in the eye of the beholder. You can typically make a judgement based on chemical indicators and the presence of flaws, but in the end it’s subjective. You either like it or you don’t. What I imagine that guy was getting at when he said California wine was “too seasoned” was that they are typically fuller bodied and more textured, while Euro wines are often more acidic and lighter bodied. IMO California wine is pushed too far in that direction, and I prefer something more in the middle of those 2 styles.
Judging from your username you must be an enthusiast, expert or in the business. I really know nothing.

How I would describe the wines I drank while there (I lived, at various times, a total of 8 years in Italy) is- just slightly fizzy (fresco?) and lighter. I would not describe them as acidic. Most Italians drink wine twice a day at meals. Maybe the lighter wines just feel...lighter. They have to go back to work after their main, midday meal, so maybe lighter is better?

I used to work at a furniture factory in Brianza, just south of Como. At lunch a group of us would go to a local trattoria. The waitress there couldn't pronounce my name (Jeff) so called me "California." There were four of us. One guy liked white so he would get his own bottle. Every day, at lunch, finished a bottle. The remaining three of us would get a large bottle of red. I would have one glass. The other two finished off the big bottle (1.5 liters?). They always tried to get me to drink more, but I rode my bike and it was uphill back to the factory. I said every glass makes the hill steeper. They called me a "terrone", a lazy southerner, derogatory in those parts.

They were probably alcoholics, but were very hard working alcoholics.
wine-bottle-sizes-red-wine.jpg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Bevmo just now. Vinho Verde $7.99. Gruner $9.99. The Spanish garnacha. $14. On 5 cent sale so $7 a bottle. 92 points by wine advocate. $20200111_100923.jpg45 for 5 bottles. Hard to beat.

Reactions: JonnyAvenues

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Judging from your username you must be an enthusiast, expert or in the business. I really know nothing.

How I would describe the wines I drank while there (I lived, at various times, a total of 8 years in Italy) is- just slightly fizzy (fresco?) and lighter. I would not describe them as acidic. Most Italians drink wine twice a day at meals. Maybe the lighter wines just feel...lighter. They have to go back to work after their main, midday meal, so maybe lighter is better?

I used to work at a furniture factory in Brianza, just south of Como. At lunch a group of us would go to a local trattoria. The waitress there couldn't pronounce my name (Jeff) so called me "California." There were four of us. One guy liked white so he would get his own bottle. Every day, at lunch, finished a bottle. The remaining three of us would get a large bottle of red. I would have one glass. The other two finished off the big bottle (1.5 liters?). They always tried to get me to drink more, but I rode my bike and it was uphill back to the factory. I said every glass makes the hill steeper. They called me a "terrone", a lazy southerner, derogatory in those parts.

They were probably alcoholics, but were very hard working alcoholics.
View attachment 84786
I'm 2 of the 3, and I can only pretend to be an expert relative to the general public. Your opinion is valid, I just question the story you were told. Like I said, it's all subjective.

The spritzy character is probably from them not allowing secondary fermentation to finish, which leaves some CO2. I like that in white wines. Plus they probably are not oaking their wines as aggressively as California wines.

I'm mostly a beer guy, although I do appreciate good wine on the weekends from time to time. I get horrible hangovers from red wine, so I think I'm histamine sensitive. Plus there are all kinds of additives allowed in wine that do not have to be listed on the label, since wine is not regulated by the FDA. The wines you are describing would probably treat me far better the following day.

I'll be in Italy for 2 weeks in June (Rome, Sardinia, Positano). Stocked!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
So many Gruners coming out of California that are terrible. How was that?
What don't you like about them? I tried one from CA I didn't like that was more fruity in character, probably from being picked riper., whereas traditionally they're supposed to be crisp and mineral. One of my favs.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I have not had this one but will today. Will report back. Says product of Austria. I have only had one GV from CA and it was by Tatomer and it was really good. It's on tap at Beer +Wine in the Santa Barbara Public Market. At least it was in October. The guy there told me its hard to find and sells out quickly.

Feb 3, 2015
LA County
Too
What don't you like about them? I tried one from CA I didn't like that was more fruity in character, probably from being picked riper., whereas traditionally they're supposed to be crisp and mineral. One of my favs.
Theyre just lackluster... might as well be a california chardonay. I appreciate them but most white wines from california are too much for me

Reactions: grapedrink

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Ok update on the Broadbent Gruner. It's good. Not great.

The Buscador Garnacha at $7 is not bad. Absolutely worth the money. Lighter style wine. Good beginning but light in the finish. BBQ chicken or Salmon wine.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm 2 of the 3, and I can only pretend to be an expert relative to the general public. Your opinion is valid, I just question the story you were told. Like I said, it's all subjective.

The spritzy character is probably from them not allowing secondary fermentation to finish, which leaves some CO2. I like that in white wines. Plus they probably are not oaking their wines as aggressively as California wines.

I'm mostly a beer guy, although I do appreciate good wine on the weekends from time to time. I get horrible hangovers from red wine, so I think I'm histamine sensitive. Plus there are all kinds of additives allowed in wine that do not have to be listed on the label, since wine is not regulated by the FDA. The wines you are describing would probably treat me far better the following day.

I'll be in Italy for 2 weeks in June (Rome, Sardinia, Positano). Stocked!

Stocked for you. First time?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Stocked for you. First time?
Yep. 4 nights in each place, although Rome is more like 3 nights since we arrive at midnight. Although I am tempted to spread out the time in Sardinia. Seems that it's just starting to get on the radar of mainstream travelers (non-Euro at least), with Outside magazine and a few other publications starting to blow it out. The Amalfi Coast is suffering the same fate as Cinque Terre and is being whored out hard on Instagram, but whatevs, it's popular for a reason. Last night is in Naples.

Either way, stocked!

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I have not had this one but will today. Will report back. Says product of Austria. I have only had one GV from CA and it was by Tatomer and it was really good. It's on tap at Beer +Wine in the Santa Barbara Public Market. At least it was in October. The guy there told me its hard to find and sells out quickly.
Wine+Beer has some premium corivan stuff by the glass so you don't have to blow your wad on a bottle which is nice,. But they have zero temp control and super expensive stuff that sits on the shelves forever.
Next time you're in SB stop by Renegade Wines. He's got a loads of GV, German Rieslings etc you mentioned. The left two are from his shop. A nearly 40 y/o riesling and a Nikolaihof GV, both about just under $30. The gruner is aged on its lees and unfiltered. I think it makes it more fruity(?) (you can get a clear 1/2 bottle and then a hazy one towards the end or shake it like an Orangina like it says on the bottle :p ). Both were great. Got a screaming deal on the syrah from a wine store that went out of business.

wine.png

Reactions: gbg

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
J. lohr is pretty much my go to bottle every time I just want a decent bottle of wine and I don’t feel like hit or miss experimenting.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
I like it when rich people invite me to wine tasting parties. I think I treat it a bit too much like a kegger, like "this is gonna be awesome, let's get wasted!!" Like many others though I can't really tell the difference between 8 dollar and 150 dollar bottles of wine. One wine dude got really mad at me when I described an expensive vintage as "grape-esque."