The Official Wine Thread!

Nov 4, 2017
For the SD County folks. If you have not been to Gianni Buonomo winery in OB, you are missing out. Our second favorite wine. A close second to the LXV. The reds are winning awards at big time wine competions. SF Chronicle. Finger Lakes. Double Gold for Sangiovese and Charbono. The Blaufrankish is amazing. So is the Barbera.
My girlfriend and I attended a wine event at USD last year where GB winery was there. She loved the BF so now we are members and enjoy it. Hard to imagine OB having a nice winery but a lot has changed since I started there in 81. Cant pronounce the names so I call it Johnny Bonaduce and Fahrvernugen, easier to remember...

Reactions: afoaf

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
For the SD County folks. If you have not been to Gianni Buonomo winery in OB, you are missing out. Our second favorite wine. A close second to the LXV. The reds are winning awards at big time wine competions. SF Chronicle. Finger Lakes. Double Gold for Sangiovese and Charbono. The Blaufrankish is amazing. So is the Barbera.
I’ll try the LXV but last time I got a recommendation from Gary my GF and I got really sick from a few bottles of La Crema. I wasn’t too happy about that. We both felt like death that next day.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I’ll try the LXV but last time I got a recommendation from Gary my GF and I got really sick from a few bottles of La Crema. I wasn’t too happy about that. We both felt like death that next day.
I would never recommend La Crema. It's too pricey for a novice wine drinker and nowhere near good enough for someone that is really into wine.

Tons of better deals out there. I always found their Pinot had alot of bite to it.

I picked up 3 bottles of Anglim in Paso over Christmas. Got them at Fossil Wine Bar in Atascadero. Fossil is a great place to taste wine. You can taste alot of good Paso wines just like you are at the winery. Glasses and bottles are the same cost as it is at the winery. We had the Anglim Grenache. The Zin-Syrah-Mouvedre. And this Pinot grown in the Adelaida District. This is the second phenomenal Pinot I've had from grapes grown there. Practically guzzled this Pinot its so fucking good. Anglim is in Tin City in Paso. 20200114_173020.jpg

Reactions: grapedrink

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I would never recommend La Crema. It's too pricey for a novice wine drinker and nowhere near good enough for someone that is really into wine.

Tons of better deals out there. I always found their Pinot had alot of bite to it.

I picked up 3 bottles of Anglim in Paso over Christmas. Got them at Fossil Wine Bar in Atascadero. Fossil is a great place to taste wine. You can taste alot of good Paso wines just like you are at the winery. Glasses and bottles are the same cost as it is at the winery. We had the Anglim Grenache. The Zin-Syrah-Mouvedre. And this Pinot grown in the Adelaida District. This is the second phenomenal Pinot I've had from grapes grown there. Practically guzzled this Pinot its so fucking good. Anglim is in Tin City in Paso. View attachment 84964
This was over 5 years ago you were totally raving about La Crema brah. Just own up to it.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Reactions: gbg

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
as young punks we used to go down to liquor stores on market street, near where petco park is today and buy night train fortified wine, we called it night training and would see where the evening would end up, usually in TJ....

now i'm a little more sophisticated

Reactions: rts265 and gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
as young punks we used to go down to liquor stores on market street, near where petco park is today and buy night train fortified wine, we called it night training and would see where the evening would end up, usually in TJ....

You roll down there with Glenn Gould and the boys? They used to rage at a bar called Baghdad del Noche.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

We used to get Wild Irish Rose.
richards-wild-irish-rose.png

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
GBG - go to https://www.riversmarie.com/, sign up to their mailing list, and hope you get an email to purchase in the next few days. Buy their least expensive ($30) pinot. If you still like your pinot, it's arguably by many the best on the planet for the price/quality and this vintage was stellar.

Reactions: gbg

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
GBG - go to https://www.riversmarie.com/, sign up to their mailing list, and hope you get an email to purchase in the next few days. Buy their least expensive ($30) pinot. If you still like your pinot, it's arguably by many the best on the planet for the price/quality and this vintage was stellar.
I signed up. Was on their site but no links to buy.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks again. Whoever you are.

2nd good wine recommendation from you.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Thanks again. Whoever you are.

2nd good wine recommendation from you.

We just found out my aunt passed in late December. Christie Vineyards. My two cousins are the inheritors. This is going to be interesting. My uncle loved wine. He developed this whole vineyard before he passed from cancer. My aunt kept it going. Both of my cousins are spoiled city kids. They have absolutely no agricultural background.

My guess is they are going to put this property up for sale.

An established vineyard with a current, ongoing Storrs Winery contract, plus gold medals....

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
We just found out my aunt passed in late December. Christie Vineyards. My two cousins are the inheritors. This is going to be interesting. My uncle loved wine. He developed this whole vineyard before he passed from cancer. My aunt kept it going. Both of my cousins are spoiled city kids. They have absolutely no agricultural background.

My guess is they are going to put this property up for sale.

An established vineyard with a current, ongoing Storrs Winery contract, plus gold medals....
Trustafarianism runs deep in your family eh?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Dude, when your family has been here since 1858 you kind of have a better handle on things.

My Great Grandfather on my mothers side was an immigrant from Italy. Wagon train boy. He bought the property where I grew up at. My grandfather was a generation later. He started as a bricklayer and ended up buying property all over Santa Cruz county.

Trustafarianism.

Scottish and German heritage. My family never gives anything away for free.

Still taking care of my 91 Y/O dad with alzheimers/dimentia.

My cousins are now free.