Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
That’s a bummer if true. Poly feel with longevity in flex, no yellowing, doesnt take on water, I think if more people tried them they would realize the extra $200 or so is a bargain.

Maybe it was my intuition but I ordered 5 then added another from that last sale to 6 so I’ll be set for 10 or so years.
didn't they have a decent wait for boards? if it's superior tech and plenty of orders how do you go out of business? doesn't seem like a high overhead business?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
didn't they have a decent wait for boards? if it's superior tech and plenty of orders how do you go out of business? doesn't seem like a high overhead business?
If true, I think it would be an issue of sales volume. Most lifelong surfers I know have very little to zero awareness of Varial or XTR. Still only PU/poly and “epoxy” (when they mean EPS). I’ve only seen a handful of varials IRL/ in the water. Niche product for an already small minority of surfers open to/interested in alternative builds. If you had enough sales/ orders of a premium product, you wouldn’t hold annual sales.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
If true, I think it would be an issue of sales volume. Most lifelong surfers I know have very little to zero awareness of Varial or XTR. Still only PU/poly and “epoxy” (when they mean EPS). I’ve only seen a handful of varials IRL/ in the water. Niche product for an already small minority of surfers open to/interested in alternative builds. If you had enough sales/ orders of a premium product, you wouldn’t hold annual sales.
how is there such a wait time if there is a sales volume issue?

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
wait. maybe varial doesn't have the wait time. I'm thinking of XTR which is 6-12 weeks standard

is it that most of the wait time is coming from someone else doing the shaping, they are just glassing?? Unfamiliar with either construction. Had assumed it was mostly machine shape/ pop out stuff?

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
wait. maybe varial doesn't have the wait time. I'm thinking of XTR which is 6-12 weeks standard

is it that most of the wait time is coming from someone else doing the shaping, they are just glassing?? Unfamiliar with either construction. Had assumed it was mostly machine shape/ pop out stuff?
Did you ever show us your t!ts???

Reactions: menobrah

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
Here she is. 6'0 19.75 x 2.6 33ish liters. Very stoked on this one! These are Tim's rails since I haven't established what "my rails" are :monkey:but he hasn't steered me wrong. Definitely feels more hp than my GX under arm. I injured my hand surfing last week so it may be a bit before I can try it out.

IMG_1592.jpgIMG_1593.jpgIMG_1590.jpgIMG_1591.jpg

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Reactions: nickpheous

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Just cracked a Pliny and put an email into Tim about a step down from my GX. Feeling pretty, pretty, pretty good.

@tedshred5 have you gotten any more time on your Flare? How you digging it?

To my lanky Stamps buds, have you all found any stepdowns from Stamps that you've really clicked with? @Aruka @bird.LA As I get older/slower, I'm starting to think that short and stubby isn't the best shape for tall and lanky.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
How tall are you and what are the dims of your Gx?

Besides the Flare, I really like the Rerun. A Spark Plug as a twin/trailer would also be a fun step down and could be stretched a bit more than a stubby hpsb.

Last edited:
Reactions: slipped_disc