HPSB 2034

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
There was a guy on Swaylocks experimenting with angled holes on his boards, that went from the deck to the bottom, the low pressure on the bottom drawing air in from the deck and aerating the bottom. Like you said, you'd have to add some form of control as the bottom "aero-planes"

Another area for experimentation would be with the foils/fins. I imagined second skin fins that could change their foil from thick to thin according to pressure/speed. At slow speeds they open up and have a thicker foil = less stall, and as the board speeds up the foil gets thinner. Or some how "ruddered" fins that could change angle of attack based on rider input, like skateboard trucks. So much yet to do. To say innovation is done is, quite frankly, stupid and defeatist.

ps again look at yacht design. Board construction is is 30-40 behind yacht construction. We were experimeting with epoxy, carbon fiber, fiber orientations and alternative foams in the 80's.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
In that case a foilboard is a more advanced surfboard.
Sort of.

It is more “advanced” in that it results in more speed. But it‘s limited in performance potential. I see in my mind a hybrid foil/hull that uses a shallow foil, or perhaps multiple mini foils that allows for the potential of full rail carves but with near foil speed.

Could be all internal. Look at a Bose sub woofer. They solved the size problem by using shape….

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There was a guy on Swaylocks experimenting with angled holes on his boards, that went from the deck to the bottom, the low pressure on the bottom drawing air in from the deck and aerating the bottom. Like you said, you'd have to add some form of control as the bottom "aero-planes"

Another area for experimentation would be with the foils/fins. I imagined second skin fins that could change their foil from thick to thin according to pressure/speed. At slow speeds they open up and have a thicker foil = less stall, and as the board speeds up the foil gets thinner. Or some how "ruddered" fins that could change angle of attack based on rider input, like skateboard trucks. So much yet to do. To say innovation is done is, quite frankly, stupid and defeatist.
Too bad Elon Musk doesn’t surf.

PS:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
In that case a foilboard is a more advanced surfboard.
Yeah it is. They kind of elminate surface chop as an interference. They do make tube riding more difficult.

Another realm of innovation, that probably nobody wants is motorization. I was surfing a point break with motorized foil boarders on a good sized swell and they were just ripping...silently. It looked like loads of fun and didn't really bother the surfers because they were mostly carving up the swells before they broke and before surfers became engaged with them. quite different than when jet skis came roaring into the line up belching smoke.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sort of.

It is more “advanced” in that it results in more speed. But it‘s limited in performance potential. I see in my mind a hybrid foil/hull that uses a shallow foil, or perhaps multiple mini foils that allows for the potential of full rail carves but with near foil speed.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
That kind of blew my mind and did look incredibly fun. My only exposure to foiling was watching a guy off Manhattan Beach Pier just angling and getting off the wave early to pump back out and repeat. I still don't think I'd invest in a rig with the regular waves on offer around my place, but that video did open my eyes to the possibilities with foiling.

Reactions: slipped_disc

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
ps again look at yacht design. Board construction is is 30-40 behind yacht construction. We were experimeting with epoxy, carbon fiber, fiber orientations and alternative foams in the 80's.
No, what happened is we experimented with all those materials decades ago and came back to PU/PE for the most part due to the incredible reliability and customisability of the materials.

So your yacht design analogy doesn't hold.

probably no great advancements possible in speed either.

Kinetic and potential energy in a wave has limits and we've probably been close to those for at least a decade- tow surfing notwithstanding.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I could imagine some new construction that would provide same volume with much thinner and smaller boards..being able to go super thin with glide could be amazeballs...my guess is that any design changes would come out of new materials

Reactions: ChaseTMP

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
No, what happened is we experimented with all those materials decades ago and came back to PU/PE for the most part due to the incredible reliability and customisability of the materials.

So your yacht design analogy doesn't hold.

probably no great advancements possible in speed either.

Kinetic and potential energy in a wave has limits and we've probably been close to those for at least a decade- tow surfing notwithstanding.
If you've been around foilers (like Chase TMP I've seen the guy at Manhattan pier- long haired blond guy right Chase?) they are going a LOT faster than regular surfers.

The new (foiling) AC boats are sailing 3x faster than the true wind speed, unthinkable 25 years ago. All because of the efficiency of the sails and foils. No change in the environment's potential energy. I just think it's pretty limiting to think to think progression is no longer possible.

I prefer the mindset of the closing statement of this video.

"You are going faster and faster. Technology and speed are going together. It's going to be exciting."

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Sorry mate, archimedes principle was discovered thousands of years ago.

It amazes me how scientifically illiterate most people are when it comes to basic physics.

Broaching certain physical limitations comes with extremely high costs and unwanted "side effects."

We went through a materials revolution over a decade ago and largely the pendulum swung back to PU/PE- look at Portugal WCT.
Decades on from EPS/Carbon and every single surfer was on PU/PE at the elite level.

I'd bet good money the trajectory will continue to be incremental "innovations", tied as much to subjective feelings of performance as objective measures.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
If you've been around foilers (like Chase TMP I've seen the guy at Manhattan pier- long haired blond guy right Chase?) they are going a LOT faster than regular surfers.

The new (foiling) AC boats are sailing 3x faster than the true wind speed, unthinkable 25 years ago. All because of the efficiency of the sails and foils. No change in the environment's potential energy. I just think it's pretty limiting to think to think progression is no longer possible.

I prefer the mindset of the closing statement of this video.

"You are going faster and faster. Technology and speed are going together. It's going to be exciting."

Foiling is not surfing mate- it's a different thing.

I'll take physics over mindset any day of the week.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Probably a stronger bet is that surf design will move more towards retro and alternative to cater for adult learners.

It's already moved way more that way in the last decade.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I could imagine some new construction that would provide same volume with much thinner and smaller boards..being able to go super thin with glide could be amazeballs...my guess is that any design changes would come out of new materials
My most magic bort ever was probably the most chippy. I'm WAY past my prime, but remember how I could feel and react immediately on the 2-1/8" thick bladey bort my roommate at the time (close friend for almost 30 years) Matt Calvani, shaped me back in the late 90's. I knocked-out some guys at the Rusty Pro-Am in Newport on that bort that I looked up to and at least one was featured in Taylor Steele's Momentum series sarf vid. I broke the bort at Sh^tty waist high Tamarack freesarfing between heats during an NSSA open men's heat. I've been seriously contemplating going into the 30L range (I'm 6' 172 and currently on 27-29L borts) on new orders and that woul;d take me into the 2-7/16" - 2-1/2" realm which I never liked the feeling before. I'd love to have a super sensitive rail and still have the same float.

I had an Album Twinsman with a relatively thin rail that transitioned to a chonky deck, but I hated the underarm feel and had hit or miss sessions on it.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Probably a stronger bet is that surf design will move more towards retro and alternative to cater for adult learners.

In my original post I was referring to what a HPSB may look/feel like in 10 years. There will be a Costco (insert whatever big-box store you think will still be around) product available for adult learners that has nothing to do with performance I'm fairly certain.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021

Well youve clearly got it all figured out. Though your vision of the future of surfing technology sounds pretty boring..who knows, could be that we will all be on hand shaped alias after the apocalypse.