Dog lovers - i get it now

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I had dogs growing up and currently have a Baja mutt rescue that was probably 4 or 5 when we took him in 3 years ago last week (they told us he was 3, lol).

imo, the rescues hit different. the way mine looks up at me pierces my soul. he is forever grateful. way more personality than any dog I’ve ever had and he’s amazing around my son.

sorry for your loss.
My neighbor across the street brought a mexidog from a mazatlan campground clear back to Folly. Sweetest dog ever. My mutt (the bigger dog) and her are besties CFD28B94-6D47-4B48-BA14-3B8F55C021C1.jpeg

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Not knocking you guys for importing rescues but there are no shortage of dogs in dire need here in the states. In the hood I see strays pretty much daily and wish I had the means to help them all. I unfortunately know for a fact that the local city shelter is beyond capacity and they’re literally rejecting dogs. If you find one they can’t take it. Please consider that next time you look to adopt a dog before you have one imported from somewhere else.

Also consider rescuing senior dogs. That’s what I plan to do next. I have a lot of conflicting opinions about Dave Portnoy but I have total admiration that he rescued a senior dog and raised a sh!t ton of money for the organization that aided her rescue. I’ve been enjoying the saga of Miss Peaches on IG…

Agree with there is no shortage of dogs in dire need. Not sure where the "importing rescues" is coming from .... in my case ... we have 3 Nicaraguan rescue dogs .... we rescued them off the street and beach and they have become part of our family here in Nicaragua where we have lived permanently for the last 6.5 years.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
When Mexico sends its dogs, they’re not sending their best. They’re sending dogs that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems to us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good dogs.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
what makes you think everyone brings them across themselves? I adopted my mexico mutt in Del Mar.

Pretty wild assertion of “America first”. All dogs matter, bro.
It’s not a wild assertion there are rescues that specialize in importing dogs from Latin America and as far away as Asia.

I know multiple people who’ve rescued dogs from Korea and Mexico. Again their dogs are great and they’ve given them loving homes which I can’t really knock. But it’s also difficult not to see that we’re importing dogs here when we still have a big problem of our own when shelters across the country are at capacity and putting dogs down every day. I guess I just feel like we should work on our local problems before we start looking elsewhere. Obv if you’re in Nicaragua and you rescue Nicaraguan strays you’re doing it local. Good on you and I apologize if that post felt pointed at you.

I should also point out that not all rescued dogs are success stories. Many are returned to rescue orgs cause they don’t work out or the humans change their mind and also many end up back in other shelters. I really can’t help but question any organization that thinks they’re doing good by adding dogs from elsewhere to our already strained system. I guess it’s a different thing if you bond with a dog on a Mexican beach and bring it back yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: john4surf

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
It’s not a wild assertion there are rescues that specialize in importing dogs from Latin America and as far away as Asia.

I know multiple people who’ve rescued dogs from Korea and Mexico. Again their dogs are great and they’ve given them loving homes which I can’t really knock. But it’s also difficult not to see that we’re importing dogs here when we still have a big problem of our own when shelters across the country are at capacity and putting dogs down every day. I guess I just feel like we should work on our local problems before we start looking elsewhere. Obv if you’re in Nicaragua and you rescue Nicaraguan strays you’re doing it local. Good on you and I apologize if that post felt pointed at you.
dogs are dogs, bro.

doesn’t matter how they got to America, born here or naturalized.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

I should also point out that not all rescued dogs are success stories. Many are returned to rescue orgs cause they don’t work out or the humans change their mind and also many end up back in other shelters. I really can’t help but question any organization that thinks they’re doing good by adding dogs from elsewhere to our already strained system. I guess it’s a different thing if you bond with a dog on a Mexican beach and bring it back yourself.
Now do human beings.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I had to sink 1.2 boatbux into my Lab several weeks ago - he ate several boxes of raisins, a bag of pretzel loaves (which temporarily buffered the raisins thank God), and a bunch of other stuff. The vet report read like the contents of Jaws' stomach. It was kind of a relief that they only had to induce vomiting.

I came home the other day and my wife had bought a whole bag of raisins and left them on the edge of the counter as if we'd all learned nothing from a few weeks ago. I know my dog learned nothing. :foreheadslap:

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf