***Official Real Estate Thread***

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
They'll probably declare the thing a disaster area due to the rains and then provide the owners with Government relief funds.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Always confused by stuff like this. Places that have been there 50 years and built before the bluff started to fail are one thing, but….

Im more baffled by people who build these homes without understanding the risk. I’ll take the ocean View on the hill in Solana Beach way before I risk the bluff top home.
If they have net worth in multiple B and the V they're sticking the P into wants it, what the hell.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
it's probably a good move, i think a lot of people are better off renting than owning, people on average dont put down roots like they used to, lots more moving. especially without kids
corpos want in on the landlord take. that’s not good for the average renter.

Some mom and pop landlords are desirable, sure, but corporate landlords suck a d.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
If they have net worth in multiple B and the V they're sticking the P into wants it, what the hell.
This.
Recently, my wife was the listing agent on a bluff top house in Leucadia and the eventual buyer has FU $$$ and didn't care if the place fell into the ocean. They said they or their grandkids would enjoy watching the dolphins and pelicans until then if it ever happens.

Reactions: dubtoe and sdsrfr

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

Some mom and pop landlords are desirable, sure, but corporate landlords suck a d.
Why?

Regardless, mom and pop owners make up about 80% of SFD landlords. They’re also more likely to use investment properties as short term rentals than corporate landlords, thus reducing homes for rent and homes available as primary residences.

Reactions: grapedrink

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
This.
Recently, my wife was the listing agent on a bluff top house in Leucadia and the eventual buyer has FU $$$ and didn't care if the place fell into the ocean. They said they or their grandkids would enjoy watching the dolphins and pelicans until then if it ever happens.

Didnt Bill Gates buy one recently?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Why?

Regardless, mom and pop owners make up about 80% of SFD landlords. They’re also more likely to use investment properties as short term rentals than corporate landlords, thus reducing homes for rent and homes available as primary residences.

I'm not sure why anyone would be happy about corporate entities buying single family homes.
With a small time rental owner, I can think of many positives. Primarily that the property might cycle back into inventory sooner than later. With a corporate owner, market manipulation feels much more likely.

What are the positives to increased corporate ownership of SFH?

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020

ftr im not commenting on whether that's good or bad, but that building housing that better fits needs/desires is good.

Reactions: grapedrink

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Didnt Bill Gates buy one recently?
His bachelor pad is on the sand in Del Mar. Thing is built to handle most of what Mother Nature can throw at it.
The Beach Colony homeowners are up in arms about managed retreat and want the City/State/Fed to help save their homes should sea level rise really threaten them. My response is that a big storm or set of storms will sweep most of them away long before sea level rise becomes a real issue.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
His bachelor pad is on the sand in Del Mar. Thing is built to handle most of what Mother Nature can throw at it.
The Beach Colony homeowners are up in arms about managed retreat and want the City/State/Fed to help save their homes should sea level rise really threaten them. My response is that a big storm or set of storms will sweep most of them away long before sea level rise becomes a real issue.

Interesting.

I forget who the dude was that was building a house at Beacon's, but my mom was working for the contractor years ago.
Place was a silly money pit.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
His bachelor pad is on the sand in Del Mar.
I thought Billy G sold his Del Mar dog beach pad.

ftr im not commenting on whether that's good or bad, but that building housing that better fits needs/desires is good.
Whose needs and desires? Corpo’s need to chase a bottom line and it is a desire of people to not be homeless.

that’s not a winning situation.

housing is a need not a want and mixing in corporate profits will be a long term win for society just like private utilities aging infrastructure.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020

Whose needs and desires? Corpo’s need to chase a bottom line and it is a desire of people to not be homeless.

housing is a need not a want and mixing in corporate profits will be a long term win for society just like private utilities aging infrastructure.
Like I said, there are a lot more people who want to move locations regularly now, for them home ownership isn't the right option. Building housing that fits that better makes sense.

Not sure why you're insisting on conflating that need with whatever corporate point you got.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Like I said, there are a lot more people who want to move locations regularly now, for them home ownership isn't the right option. Building housing that fits that better makes sense.
Another way to look at it is there are a lot more people that would buy where they are if they could, but rent is too high to save and purchase prices are too high to get in.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Another way to look at it is there are a lot more people that would buy where they are if they could, but rent is too high to save and purchase prices are too high to get in.
both things can be true, and likely are.

many people are priced out of home ownership and also many people than used to be are wanting to move regularly.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I think he reno'd it and moved in part time after the divorce. There's a lot of wealth on that strip of sand.

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
100% location dependent. Del Mar =/= California City.