Palm Springs Surf Club

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Yea I dunno what deal David Lee Scales and Chas Smith have with PSSC. David praised it as the best wave pool while putting down the others. Chas even gushed about Tom Lochtefeld and wrote a fluff piece about him. David and Chas are definitely not unbiased (like they virtue signal all the time).

You can DM me about the other stuff. I’m really trying to be more patient than I normally would be before I post any more details.
Spill it bro!

You already came out in a public forum with the claim so let's hear all about it?

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Having surfed Slaters pool and Waco multiple times, there’s a couple things that stick out to me that are problematic about PSSC. One, the wave comes out of the wall too fast, too close and straight on. A LOT of waves are going to be missed. The average surfer misses waves at Waco and Slaters all the time and those have a bit more run up from when you see the wave to when you catch it. PSSC looks like even I would struggle to see it and catch it and I’ve never missed a wave at Slaters or Waco, I’m not saying that to brag just pointing it out. Two, the wave looks short. All the clips are pros, when surfing with pros in the ocean you realize they get to their first turn when most of us are still dropping in, popping up. Pros get to their second turn when we are finishing our first. Most surfers are going to get 1 snap on this wave, maybe 2. It’s not enough. Waco gets you 3-4 turns and that feels like it goes by fast. Slaters, you get like 10 turns lol. Third, positioning of takeoff looks super important here to get the most of the wave and get the speed the pros are getting. At Waco, I can say 99% of surfers are oblivious to the difference of taking off 2 feet deeper or 1 foot shallower to get a steeper takeoff and more speed. They just don’t want to fall or miss their wave. This makes the PSSC pool look hard as Fck to surf imo, average surfer will miss a lot of waves and bog their 1-2 turn if they even get there, Margin for error looks high here.

Also, this pool has the least defined lip of any of the pools I’ve seen. Most surfers aren’t going to hit the lip so it doesn’t matter, but it looks so thin and weak at PSSC. Slaters one is most defined but actually hard to hit it right, Waco is less defined but easier to get the fins out, this one looks soft with no push back or no lip at all.

Last edited:

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
Having surfed Slaters pool and Waco multiple times, there’s a couple things that stick out to me that are problematic about PSSC. One, the wave comes out of the wall too fast, too close and straight on. A LOT of waves are going to be missed. The average surfer misses waves at Waco and Slaters all the time and those have a bit more run up from when you see the wave to when you catch it. PSSC looks like even I would struggle to see it and catch it and I’ve never missed a wave at Slaters or Waco, I’m not saying that to brag just pointing it out. Two, the wave looks short. All the clips are pros, when surfing with pros in the ocean you realize they get to their first turn when most of us are still dropping in, popping up. Pros get to their second turn when we are finishing our first. Most surfers are going to get 1 snap on this wave, maybe 2. It’s not enough. Waco gets you 3-4 turns and that feels like it goes by fast. Slaters, you get like 10 turns lol. Third, positioning of takeoff looks super important here to get the most of the wave and get the speed the pros are getting. At Waco, I can say 99% of surfers are oblivious to the difference of taking off 2 feet deeper or 1 foot shallower to get a steeper takeoff and more speed. They just don’t want to fall or miss their wave. This makes the PSSC pool look hard as Fck to surf imo, average surfer will miss a lot of waves and bog their 1-2 turn if they even get there, Margin for error looks high here.

Also, this pool has the least defined lip of any of the pools I’ve seen. Most surfers aren’t going to hit the lip so it doesn’t matter, but it looks so thin and weak at PSSC. Slaters one is most defined but actually hard to hit it right, Waco is less defined but easier to get the fins out, this one looks soft with no push back or no lip at all.
You are correct. Also, because of the tight spaces in the Palm Springs pool, I saw several collisions and near misses in the 5 minutes I was watching a different group of 12 in the pool. Some public sessions will have multiple people getting injured.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You are correct. Also, because of the tight spaces in the Palm Springs pool, I saw several collisions and near misses in the 5 minutes I was watching a different group of 12 in the pool. Some public sessions will have multiple people getting injured.
I've been wearing one of these full-time since my youth, so I don't foresee a problem here.
1703347977199.png

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
was it cold

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
If you want to see what the pool has to offer (or not) the RipCurl Gromsearch final is on now. Kids are lucky to get 2 full turns in. It ain’t no Waco.

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
PSSC stiffed me for a refund they said they would honor after they shut down, so I had to contact my credit card company.

I’m pretty sure PSSC is going belly up as a business. You won’t hear those douchebags Chas Smith or David Lee Scales say a peep about it though.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
PSSC stiffed me for a refund they said they would honor after they shut down, so I had to contact my credit card company.

I’m pretty sure PSSC is going belly up as a business. You won’t hear those douchebags Chas Smith or David Lee Scales say a peep about it though.
Drift carting through the mall on me?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Compare this wave to Palm Springs. This is the wave pool that all wave pools have to be judged against.
PS: American and Australian kids better step it up or Brazil will be dominating for the next 25 years.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Compare this wave to Palm Springs. This is the wave pool that all wave pools have to be judged against.
PS: American and Australian kids better step it up or Brazil will be dominating for the next 25 years.
You guys are slacking. With the exchange rate any of you could probably buy a house in that condo with pocket money. I still couldn't figure out whose dick I need to suck to get a session there... BUT WHEN I DO....

• Haha
Reactions: jkb

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Italo’s protege. That kid is mental.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.