Tomo MPH

Jul 15, 2008
My Ranking:

1. EVO: So much fun. I have one in Timbertek, and the only con is that the nose sometimes catches in hollower surf. 100% would get one in Dark Arts if available.

2. Hydronaut: Solid board for bigger waves. Fast and predictable.

3. Omni: Also, a very good big wave board. For me, it works better on the backhand (I don´t know why).

4. Sci-fi 2.0: Fast and wippy.

5 Hydroshort: I tried a lot but did not click with this model. It also has something to do with the Helium construction. Lack or drive and somehow slow on the takeoff.

Would love to get the EVO, the new Vader, and a Cymatic. The GMM2 looks fun also, but never ordered an XTR. Just when I was about to place an order for Tomos, they broke their contract.

As my quiver of fins is from FCS, Firewire is not an option for me. Ordering from Australia to Europe is expensive.

Reactions: jkb and oeste858

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I think it's just the standard on any board you order with a poly blank. IIRC there were two pyzels next to each other one full eps and the other with that poly/eps build. I'd be curious to compare the poly vs venerial

Reactions: jkb and sh3

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The high density EPS stringer sounds interesting.

I would have a hard time paying premium with a PU blank with a wood stringer. I bet they surf good though.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I'm suprised so many are enamoured with Dark arts carbon with a PU blank. The high cost of the boards and potentially longer lifespan of the carbon is offset by using a PU blank inside that is going to lose its pop quicker than eps.
Having felt up how light the Dark arts boards are and seen the heel denting they allow I'm thinking they are nowhere near as strong as the carbon boards I have had from Dick Van Straalen. He uses eps blanks and Mo (an American fyi) glasses them to last.
Never felt any of them were corky or suffered excess chatter even when riding them in textured conditions.
Only one I felt was Dark arts kinda light was a circa 2000 one that I think was an ex Rasta personal rocket fish.
I've ridden 2 locally made carbon boards with PU foam inside (McTavish and a Surman - who glasses the Albums) and they both felt like ordinary PU boards. Didn't feel any of the ultra responsive feel of the eps/carbon boards I'm used to.
Anyone know if you can ask for different density of eps blank to be used in the Dark arts and do they have any choice in the actual carbon used?
P.S. Just to keep it Tomo related: rode my Cymatic for the second time in excellent quality 3-4" beachbreak waves with A frame peaks and that Cymatic has catapulted itself straight into magic board status for this old carp.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb, JDJ and Havoc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm suprised so many are enamoured with Dark arts carbon with a PU blank. They high cost of the boards and potentially longer lifespan of the carbon is offset by using a PU blank inside that is going to lose its pop quicker than eps.
Having felt up how light the Dark arts boards are and seen the heel denting they allow I'm thinking they are nowhere near as strong as the carbon boards I have had from Dick Van Straalen. He uses eps blanks and Mo (an American fyi) glasses them to last.
Never felt any of them were corky or suffered excess chatter even when riding them in textured conditions.
Only one I felt was Dark arts kinda light was a circa 2000 one that I think was an ex Rasta personal rocket fish.
I've ridden 2 locally made carbon boards with PU foam inside (McTavish and a Surman - who glasses the Albums) and they both felt like ordinary PU boards. Didn't feel any of the ultra responsive feel of the eps/carbon boards I'm used to.
Anyone know if you can ask for different density of eps blank to be used in the Dark arts and do they have any choice in the actual carbon used?
P.S. Just to keep it Tomo related: rode my Cymatic for the second time in excellent quality 3-4" beachbreak waves with A frame peaks and that Cymatic has catapulted itself straight into magic board status for this old carp.
I asked Tony about 1.5lbs EPS core vs. 2.0lbs and he said way better to go 2.0lb. Which is what they normally use.

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What are the 3 offered models he’s starting with?
The new Vader, the Hydroshort round and Revo.
I’m honestly torn between all 3 and an El Tomo twin with VQC. This would be my 10th or so El Tomo but with the VQC.

Tomo said the new Vader might the best board he’s ever shaped! Big claim. Might have to get one just to find out.

Reactions: waxfoot and JDJ

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Is that your normal thickness?
Because of the Vee the board is thicker in the middle. It tapers off quiet a bit. My Revo is 5'3 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 25.5L. It probably tapers off to a 2 1/4 on the rail. So 2 9/16 will probably have rail thickness of about 2 5/16.
5'3 for the 'longer Vader'? Original Vader woulda been a 4'8 for you?
I was going to go 5'8...

Jul 15, 2008
Because of the Vee the board is thicker in the middle. It tapers off quiet a bit. My Revo is 5'3 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 25.5L. It probably tapers off to a 2 1/4 on the rail. So 2 9/16 will probably have rail thickness of about 2 5/16.

I was going to go 5'8...
Have you tried the Revo in higher volumes? Wondering how this model scales and is affected by more volume.

Vader should be sick!! What's the ETA for the board?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Have you tried the Revo in higher volumes? Wondering how this model scales and is affected by more volume.

Vader should be sick!! What's the ETA for the board?
I tried the 5'3 Revo (25.5L) and the 5'4 (26.8L). I think it scales up nicely. I was told my some Firewire team riders that the smaller size was better, but i personally didn't notice the difference all that much. I thought the 5'4 was just as fun as the 5'3. I'm actually selling my 5'3 to get a 5'4.

ETA is 6 weeks, but could be sooner.

Reactions: WFCody

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A stringerless DA GMM2 would be nuts. Sure, do a run of 5'8"s of various widths for the erBB!
we’re not all living in tree houses, making cookies with fudge in them here.
Order has been placed. Vader 2.0. Futures. Quad fins. 5'3 x 18 3/8 x 2 9/16 x 25ish liters.

:jamon:
Cool one. what goes under the other foot, another of the same board or do you do an aysm thing? I’m imagining these are ridden as some kind of ski situation?