Album Surfboards

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Yes, if I was a shaper I would run my business like him (and Pyzel). You wouldn’t reward your riders if they had big selling models?

I haven’t bought a board from him since 2020 and you’re talking about like 3 pros that have signature shapes.
oh i'm not saying it's bad business for the shaper, i'm saying i'd rather save $20 on my board (or $100 in albums case).

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In surfboard world, good marketing can get you once or twice.

If someone gets 3 shitty boards from a shaper, you really think marketing will keep them coming back?

Bottom line, Album's boards work and that's why people continue to order multiple boards from him.
A lot of people can't tell a shitty board from a good board.

And marketing can get you really far. Look at JS for instance - do you think he got where he is by making boards that are 100x better than your local shaper?

Marketing is a huge part of it - way more important than the boards.

Image, good surfers, and cool looking surfboards - that is what sells.

Everything Josh Kerr touches turns to gold...he knows a good business opportunity when he sees it. This was predictable.

Reactions: JDJ and freeride76

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Everything Josh Kerr touches turns to gold...he knows a good business opportunity when he sees it. This was predictable.
one of the most legitimizing things Parker/Kerr did for the rippers was put Josh on albums for his victory lap on the CT and after party as an air-show commissioner.

Imo, rippers would not have followed if not for that. They’d still be a midlength brand with a couple fish and twins. I think josh’s boards didn’t move the needle much, however, it was AP walking in with his work with DHD that blew things up.

imo, Parker boards got more interesting once working with AP.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
With rare exceptions, first thing I notice about people moving to twins is they lose the full wrap roundhouse cutback- especially backside.

rotational force on the hull from two fins doesn't favour that turn.

• Dislike
Reactions: Hazrus and ReForest

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
With rare exceptions, first thing I notice about people moving to twins is they lose the full wrap roundhouse cutback- especially backside.

This is the only thing I struggled with when transitioning to twins. Fixed it with improved technique but every once in a while the ol' muscle memory kicks and I push a bit too hard on the fins instead of the rail and the board disengages and I do a weird half turn slidey thingy. No bueno.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

I disagree. I think a good twin fin aids in a full wrap roundhouse. I think a proper roundhouse out on the face engages more rail than fin. It also has a faster pivot when moving up the face. So speed out on the face, nice deep carve on the shoulder back towards the pocket, to a nice rebound off the whitewater. Boom! :love:

• Love
Reactions: lofatkilla

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
BS roundhouse is basically a FS bottom turn.

The thing that used to get me on a good wave is squaring up on a bottom turn. On a thruster you can get so square cause you’re pivoting off the fins during the last part when you’re transitioning to go vert up the face. If I drift even just a tad on the twin I lose momentum and end up just going up and over the wave. The third fin helps that both fs and bs.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Two of the biggest selling brands do!

I would think the hypto krypto guy pays his riders too.
Likely.

Most of the top brands are cutting their riders some sort of paycheck.

What would be neat is a reveal of the guys that are riding their paid board sponsor's lam with another shaper's boards under their feet.:eek:

I think everyone knows the Noa Deane/Rusty thing and I heard Barton Lynch mention he was doing it in the 80s. I was given the impression this was not uncommon in the 80s/90s I'm curious if it still happens regularly.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
So old mate is taking a $1000 bath on his custom Twinsman.
Though he should be ok if he can swap it for one of the boards he listed. That should cover him for what the Twinsman doesn't do...I assume going slow out on the flats is his preference, from what he said!
Sad pads?
Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 11.28.48 am.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: waxfoot