*** Official SBD Needs a new Drip Coffee Maker Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I can and do use the word dollop at the shop. They don’t often stoke heavy cream however. So while the barista often looks at me funny for the word dollop, their dilemma is quickly resolved when they announce they don’t carry “dollop cream”’

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
lots of complaints about under extraction on the breville. james hoffman states this as well. moccamaster extracts well. just does it in a very clunky manner. coffee is cratered in the basket after brewing with the crater towards one side of the basket. i guess it works tho
I won't even notice, so there's that

Reactions: Havoc

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I can and do use the word dollop at the shop. They don’t often stoke heavy cream however. So while the barista often looks at me funny for the word dollop, their dilemma is quickly resolved when they announce they don’t carry “dollop cream”’
Half and Half bro

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I'm on the Subway plan. Good beans and Mr Coffee.

I think the beans make the bigger difference than how the hot water was poured through the grounds, but that's just me. I also don't drink a sh!t ton of coffee everyday so I'm getting along just fine withe the 5 cup version.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Wife bought an espresso machine about year and half ago. I'm on the oat milk latte program.
Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 7.44.17 AM.png

Then I have a cup of Mr. Coffee Costco drip at work.
Some days I crave a strong cup of good drip coffee.

As far as "good beans trump the brewing method".... I agree to an extent.
Some of the more subtle roasts definitely lose some nuance using a clunky drip machine. It's kind of a waste of the more expensive, lighter, fancy roasts if you don't use a better brewing method. But if you are using mass produced pre ground, from anyone, the American pot o coffee is fine for me

Last edited:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
did a head to head taste test with moccamaster vs hario switch 03 and night and day. wife said hario is significantly better and only wants me to make that now sigh. lotta extra work lol. james hoffman says similar in that immersion >> percolation.

moccamaster is good by drip standards tho and the programmable outlet lets me have a cup of the 2nd best coffee i can make at 4:30 in the morning on surf days.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I've yet to mess with the pour over coffee brew methods. Seems simple enough. I just don't feel like investing in another "thing" (technically 2 because I'd need a kettle and a pour over set up) to make a single cup of coffee.

I've had times in my life where I exclusively used a French Press. I was single, moving a lot, It made the right amount for me (One travel mug and a half cup for the house) and I liked the results. So yeah, I like immersion over percolation.

That being said, I freaking love the coffee from my old school camping percolator. There are probably other factors that have nothing to do with the coffee at work there.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've yet to mess with the pour over coffee brew methods. Seems simple enough. I just don't feel like investing in another "thing" (technically 2 because I'd need a kettle and a pour over set up) to make a single cup of coffee.

I've had times in my life where I exclusively used a French Press. I was single, moving a lot, It made the right amount for me (One travel mug and a half cup for the house) and I liked the results. So yeah, I like immersion over percolation.

That being said, I freaking love the coffee from my old school camping percolator. There are probably other factors that have nothing to do with the coffee at work there.
hario switch 03 brews up to 500ml and is not a pourover it is an immersion dripper which is superior to pourover.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

I'm not convinced that pour over is any better than a brewed pot. Plus you have to get the water temp and method right. For the amount of work I'd rather just flip a switch

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'm not convinced that pour over is any better than a brewed pot. Plus you have to get the water temp and method right. For the amount of work I'd rather just flip a switch

That's the part I left out.
Simple when you have it dialed, but I don't feel compelled to ride the learning curve.

Reactions: grapedrink