Step Up Mentawai

KPindaOC

OTF status
Nov 25, 2012
Going in two weeks. Will update when I'm on the trip.

5'6" x 170lbs x 29yrs

5'8" x 19.75" x 2.375" Stamps Flare as my DD around N.LA. Even when it gets bigger, haven't felt it necessary to step up.

Mostly use a 5'10" x 18.375" x 2.375" Stamps Blindspot for good waves when I'm abroad. Perfect for Salina Cruz last year. Too much board for most N.LA spots around me.

Picked up a stock 6'2" x 19.25" x 2.562" CI Happy Traveler as a step-up. Not really planning on charging above DOH. Never used it yet. We'll see.

Trying to decide between the 6'4" Stamps Sultan and 5'3" Album Sunstone as a fun twinnie.

May bring a 5'10" GrinderX because I have this nagging feeling that I'll snap the Blindspot and be out of shortboards for anything under head high. May pick up a CI Pro in Bali for the overseas rate discount.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
No, the biggest hurdle is having the nuts/skills to get the job done in an 8ft barrel and having the physical conditioning to deal with the donuts for when it goes wrong.

Things get simpler, harder and heavier consequences as it gets bigger.
Certainly agree and by the years of experience I just mean that the basic surf template/muscle memory/past experiences are ingrained and innately relied upon: correlating to bigger cajones/better skills.

And the one true variable we can control in this sport/activity is our physical conditioning, which I am all over and take seriously: swim, run, lift, stretch, and when there are waves surf.

Yeah then the mental conditioning and trusting that throwing yourself over the ledge is a good idea that is where the rubber meets the road. Now I hope once there I get a few days to acclimate to the conditions and go from there. And as stated if I ain't feeling it, I'm watching, surfing a mellower spot.
-I mean shxt I just ordered a helmet, figure I check it out and can't hurt to have it.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019

5'6" x 170lbs x 29yrs

5'8" x 19.75" x 2.375" Stamps Flare as my DD around N.LA. Even when it gets bigger, haven't felt it necessary to step up.

Mostly use a 5'10" x 18.375" x 2.375" Stamps Blindspot for good waves when I'm abroad. Perfect for Salina Cruz last year. Too much board for most N.LA spots around me.

Picked up a stock 6'2" x 19.25" x 2.562" CI Happy Traveler as a step-up. Not really planning on charging above DOH. Never used it yet. We'll see.

Trying to decide between the 6'4" Stamps Sultan and 5'3" Album Sunstone as a fun twinnie.

May bring a 5'10" GrinderX because I have this nagging feeling that I'll snap the Blindspot and be out of shortboards for anything under head high. May pick up a CI Pro in Bali for the overseas rate discount.
Hope you score can't to hear, how's that fin quiver!?

OsideBum

OTF status
Mar 15, 2022

5'6" x 170lbs x 29yrs

How do you like the Blindspot? Tim and are working out the dims for one I’m ordering. Should be firming them up this morning.

KPindaOC

OTF status
Nov 25, 2012
Hope you score can't to hear, how's that fin quiver!?
I’m not crazy particular about my fins. Most of my boards are futures so I like the Machado Blackstix and WCT in my Flare, Lovelace keels in my Sultwin, K2s in my Sunstone. FCS AM3 or MF2 in the Blindspot. Really like MF2s and wish I could find a similar thin glass fin in futures. Will try Futures AM1 on the Happy Traveler. Trying to decide if I want to add quad boxes.

How do you like the Blindspot? Tim and are working out the dims for one I’m ordering. Should be firming them up this morning.
Love the Blindspot but can’t really tell how much is the board or because I pretty much only surf it in warm water and good waves. Haven’t yet felt undergunned up to OH-1.5x OH Salina Cruz, Vland, Rocky Pt, etc. Somehow never fees like I’m plowing water even with all that rocker. Then again none of those spots are short punchy barrels for the most part.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Had it, stock 6'4", just did not feel it, probably could have given it more time, but something didn't click from me.
-I'm the only one on planet earth to not like it, I know....
Actually heard that from a few people. Can kind of see it, needs a certain style of wave or it it is a dog. Also being an old kook had a hard time adjusting to it from the Midlength and fish I had been riding too much. That being said when I am on my game in the proper surf the board is magic.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Actually heard that from a few people. Can kind of see it, needs a certain style of wave or it it is a dog. Also being an old kook had a hard time adjusting to it from the Midlength and fish I had been riding too much. That being said when I am on my game in the proper surf the board is magic.
Think you're spot on, my daily drivers are mostly swallow tails, bat tails, and the change to a long rail line is a very different feel, so is probably me and not the board.

Reactions: mundus

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019

5'6" x 170lbs x 29yrs

Can we get an update. maybe I missed your detailed report :),
I'm ~7 months out from departure and daily obsess over the quiver quagmire...but this is coming for sure.

And just adding that Surfline is crazy garbage, I think this is new, a cam at 4Bobs now, Surfline says 1' poor, cam proving not the case more like 6'+....wtf

1696673716519.jpeg

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
In this specific case, and this case only, Surfline has no chance. The Kandui area really is insane. You can be sitting at 4bobs, and that wave is coming straight at you. Rifles is breaking towards you at a 90 degree right angle. Bikinis is breaking away from you at 270 degrees; and A frames behind 4bobs is breaking inexplicably the exact opposite direction of 4bobs. It’s a magical place that defies all laws of science. If you’re regular foot just pray for swells more south than 180 degree. Also, Justis, who handles all their booking/logistics, loves talking boards and fins. Hit him up, he was a life saver for me correcting quiver mistakes for the trip.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
In this specific case, and this case only, Surfline has no chance. The Kandui area really is insane. You can be sitting at 4bobs, and that wave is coming straight at you. Rifles is breaking towards you at a 90 degree right angle. Bikinis is breaking away from you at 270 degrees; and A frames behind 4bobs is breaking inexplicably the exact opposite direction of 4bobs. It’s a magical place that defies all laws of science. If you’re regular foot just pray for swells more south than 180 degree. Also, Justis, who handles all their booking/logistics, loves talking boards and fins. Hit him up, he was a life saver for me correcting quiver mistakes for the trip.
Thanks and sounds crazy about the multiple swell angles, assumed the Surfline guys watched the cams from time to time, since at my local Surfline commentary is often "It's too foggy to see the waves on the cam..". Which gives me a chuckle, since I check the cam, so no shxt, that helps! What am I paying for, oh the cams right.

And yes a regular footed surfer, and had Justis review my quiver, hence the new Slayer 2 , he got the blame there, Justis says expect to ride that 25% of the time and suggested my Rusty Rooster, expect to ride it 50% of the time. Plan on bring 4 boards, so that leaves me with some sort of high performance groveler, then, not sure if I should throw in a fish? But I am pretty sold on bring my Rusty Twin Fin as it has performed in some bigger waves incredible well and just feels so damn good. Then of course I recently rode my 70's style single fin, and thinking on lesser consequential days/breaks, it would be fun on those well shaped waves to draw those big lines, but could be a waste of bag space...first world problems for sure.

Fin quiver is ridiculous to the point of confusion...embarrassingly have it all in a spreadsheet, my buds mock me all the time.

KPindaOC

OTF status
Nov 25, 2012
Can we get an update. maybe I missed your detailed report :),
I'm ~7 months out from departure and daily obsess over the quiver quagmire...but this is coming for sure.

And just adding that Surfline is crazy garbage, I think this is new, a cam at 4Bobs now, Surfline says 1' poor, cam proving not the case more like 6'+....wtf

View attachment 164185
I actually tried to keep a detailed trip report like I saw someone else here do but between 2-3 sessions a day for 10 days, I was exhausted.

Trip was amazing. Mentawais are amazing. Waves in every direction so somewhere is always offshore no matter wind direction. Highly recommend Shadow Mentawais camp. 4-8ft the whole time. Surfed the Blindspot mostly but was very happy to have the Happy Traveler for those 6-8ft days. The length and rocker with heavier glass job inspired much more confidence and a slightly earlier takeoff that was nice. A couple of the Aussies at camp brought 6’6”s and did really well on those. I’m a believer in surfing more board than you think you’ll need in bigger waves because most of the time you’re just going to point and shoot through the barrel rather than stall and pump in the tube. Unless you’re a super ripper, you won’t need the dexterity of a smaller curvier board a la John John, etc.

Overall the waves were shorter and faster than I thought with super easy paddle arounds at most spots unless you get impatient and get caught inside like I did a couple times. Very friendly waves for all skill levels moreso than Salina Cruz the year before where you have to punch through long sets with tons of current. I was in better shape then and was dog tired and sore af after just five days. Maybe it has to do with the sun beating down on you in SC opposed to jumping on and off a boat.

I brought the 6’4” Sultwinn as my third board and kinda regretted it. Was fun to surf mellower waves with my gf in between punchier sessions but the waves were too short to draw proper lines on a board like that. I’ll save this board for frontside point breaks. Also since we were able to avoid crowds, you can get by with a smaller board sitting right over the sweet spot in the reef. I’ll opt for a third shortboard when I come back next year. Something like a bladey 5’10”-6’0” round pin with 5 fin boxes.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Thanks and sounds crazy about the multiple swell angles, assumed the Surfline guys watched the cams from time to time, since at my local Surfline commentary is often "It's too foggy to see the waves on the cam..". Which gives me a chuckle, since I check the cam, so no shxt, that helps! What am I paying for, oh the cams right.

And yes a regular footed surfer, and had Justis review my quiver, hence the new Slayer 2 , he got the blame there, Justis says expect to ride that 25% of the time and suggested my Rusty Rooster, expect to ride it 50% of the time. Plan on bring 4 boards, so that leaves me with some sort of high performance groveler, then, not sure if I should throw in a fish? But I am pretty sold on bring my Rusty Twin Fin as it has performed in some bigger waves incredible well and just feels so damn good. Then of course I recently rode my 70's style single fin, and thinking on lesser consequential days/breaks, it would be fun on those well shaped waves to draw those big lines, but could be a waste of bag space...first world problems for sure.

Fin quiver is ridiculous to the point of confusion...embarrassingly have it all in a spreadsheet, my buds mock me all the time.
So you’re clearly a planner and clearly a surfboard addict….both of which I dig!!!! So you’re not going to like this, but know this comes from a place of love.

Only plan your step up and your favorite everyday board in advance. Everything else should be decided when the forecast comes into view. If the forecast looks legit legit you’ll want two step ups, because a week of macking rifles, kandui left or bank vaults eats boards. But if you get a forecast that’s all those waves at friendly size, it will eat your everyday board.

I was talking to a guy the week behind us at cross over day. He was Bali based, so two weeks in kandui was a weekend trip for him; and he’d been there 10 times. He takes two of the same “everyday” board but one slightly bigger. Which is kind of genius. If you snap your everyday board you don’t have to jump to a full step up or push a grovel board past its limits, and it’s still you favorite board. But it has the extra benefit that some of the waves have a decent current even when small(kandui left, hideaways). So when you’re tired on day 5, and you know the boat is going to one of those waves. and you’ll be on the current treadmill, you still have your favorite board, just with a bit more volume.

as far as performance grovellers go, only if you like to ride those. The actual waves don’t need a grovel board. I don’t ride short boards anymore. So at home I ride my ci og pod and a sharp eye disco cheater. on the trip I rode those two 90% of the time. But even on the small days, guys who ride short boards ride short boards with no issues

KPindaOC

OTF status
Nov 25, 2012
did you get barrelled?
Not nearly as much as I thought I would. The proper barrel setups were often super crowded (Hideaways, Kandui, Rifles) so I didn’t go on those boats much. There were a few days at camp where the nearby right hand barrel was kind of working but nothing more than head dips. Some ballsy Aussies got really good ones by sitting way on top of the reef but took good licks in return. Lots of scrapes and one shoulder dislocation. Did get a pretty good, deep one at Pitstops as a highlight to the trip. But I’m admittedly a puss when it comess to shallow reef barrels since I’ve mostly surfed beach breaks and points all my life.

Reactions: urchined

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It's harder than it seems up there due to crowds at the good spots.

My mate had to surf 10ft Kandui to get barrelled, said the crowds were just insane everywhere else and S winds fcuked up the right handers.

Reactions: santacruzin

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Depressing to hear about the crowds up there. In hindsight we had it bloody good in '19, surfing Hideaways to ourselves most of the time, and several other spots very quiet.

Enjoy good times when you stumble across them.

• Love
Reactions: santacruzin