The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Who makes a toasty 3/2 which will keep you warm when it's cold and windy so I can avoid putting on my 4/3 when water is still relatively warm but it's cold and miserable out?

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Rip curl outlet (Santa Ana) has suits 60% off - can't beat the price and lots of inventory - I put a surf jersey underneath my suit for the in between 3/2 - 4/3 days - suits are pretty much all the same - the worst for me putting on a wet suit from the prior day - so I like to keep 2 of each in the camper. and no back zip suits - make feel like I am chocking.

Reactions: Havoc
Jan 13, 2021
Rip curl outlet (Santa Ana) has suits 60% off - can't beat the price and lots of inventory - I put a surf jersey underneath my suit for the in between 3/2 - 4/3 days - suits are pretty much all the same - the worst for me putting on a wet suit from the prior day - so I like to keep 2 of each in the camper. and no back zip suits - make feel like I am chocking.
Unfortunately Rip Curl wetsuits are garbage. I bought brand new Rip Curl Ebomb 3/2, Feral 3/2, and Isurus 3/2 last fall. I donated the Ebomb after a couple of uses; it really is amazing how poor Rip Curl's quality has gotten. The suit had so many quality control issues w/ seams and construction including a tendency to overstretch and flush with water at the neck. I do not know why anyone would continue to buy these suits when the market now has so many better alternatives.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Unfortunately Rip Curl wetsuits are garbage. I bought brand new Rip Curl Ebomb 3/2, Feral 3/2, and Isurus 3/2 last fall. I donated the Ebomb after a couple of uses; it really is amazing how poor Rip Curl's quality has gotten. The suit had so many quality control issues w/ seams and construction including a tendency to overstretch and flush with water at the neck. I do not know why anyone would continue to buy these suits when the market now has so many better alternatives.
How did the feral and isurus go?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
my fren is digging his colby. broke in nicely, fits good, no leaks. he's stocked. that was from their left over stash too. looks like they've made some upgrades on their current stoke.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Winter approaches.

Waiting until the typical complaints start rolling in.

The suit already is super leaky
the suit is not warm
the suit flushes so bad
the suit fit weird at xyz,
the quality has changed for the worse
etc

My personal favorite:"I love my cheap generic brand suit!!!">>>1 month later>>>"Well, the honeymoon is over..."

Or the guy who buys $600 worth of "great deal" wetsuits over the course of the season and is disappointed in all of them

:roflmao:

The fact this thread has gone to 230 pages is a testament to how shitty most OTR suits are.

There's a bunch of people doing custom suits in CA now, it really is a no brainer if you surf more than once a week.

Reactions: Havoc and jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What is the fit like on Isurus suits? I'm basically a medium in Xcel and Oneill. 5'10 x 160.

Same in Isurus?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don't know people seem to be able to say things like well I wear X in this brand and I wear Y in that brand.

I'm just asking if someone who has in a Isurus wears the same size as they do in other brands or if I need to make adjustments like Isurus fits bigger than the same size in O'Neill.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I don't know people seem to be able to say things like well I wear X in this brand and I wear Y in that brand.

I'm just asking if someone who has in a Isurus wears the same size as they do in other brands or if I need to make adjustments like Isurus fits bigger than the same size in O'Neill.
I wear the same size in both brands, LT. But best to try one on first if you have the option.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not an option. Don't have locally. What threw me is that their sizing chart seems to suggest that a medium is for people is for 5'7-5'9 and 145-160 but the model they show wearing a medium is 5'10 and 165 and not super athletic.

I wear the same size in both brands, LT. But best to try one on first if you have the option.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Not an option. Don't have locally. What threw me is that their sizing chart seems to suggest that a medium is for people is for 5'7-5'9 and 145-160 but the model they show wearing a medium is 5'10 and 165 and not super athletic.
my isusus is an LT and I wear L in onell. L oneil fits perfectly and am thinking about going L on my next isurus. On their site the wetsuit model guy is just over the max recommended size of his size on the size chart

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Unless they’ve changed it, Isurus size chart is not accurate. Suits run a little longer than what the chart suggests. I sized down a couple years ago when I scooped one.