The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

motosurf

Nep status
Nov 19, 2008
Anyone using the needessesntials suits? I needed a new hooded 4/3 and I found a volcom one for dirt cheap on sale. Looks identical to the needessentials suits, I'd imagine they are made in the same factory.

I need a new 3/2 also. Was wondering about the sizing though. I'm 5'10 and vary between 175-190lbs. I'm at the heavier end right now and am in an XLS in the volcom. It isn't the best fitting suit I've had but for the price it's fine. Kind of big in the lower leg and waist. According to the needessentials size chart I'd be in a LS. For reference I wear large in rip curl, body glove and isarus (kinda tight).
No feedback on the 3/2 needessentials suits? Trying to decide between the needessentials 3/2 for 200$ or the last years isurus for 180$ more...

I have a 2mm short arm isurus and it's a nice suit but don't know if it's worth the extra $. I'm hesitant on the need suits if they are the same as the volcom suit I have. It will randomly give me a rash under my arm and the knee pad is leaking where I duckdive and I've only had it a few months..Haven't gotten a wetsuit rash since the 90's until this suit.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
If you can spare the cash, go for the nicer suits.

it’s worth it as we age and get grumpy about things that were trivial in our younger years.

I don’t know that I’ll ever go back from Yammy. At the very least go colby+ over the old needs. I didn’t know they still sold needs, tbh, unless you’re in aus.

terdroamer

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 17, 2024
from far yet near
No feedback on the 3/2 needessentials suits? Trying to decide between the needessentials 3/2 for 200$ or the last years isurus for 180$ more...

I have a 2mm short arm isurus and it's a nice suit but don't know if it's worth the extra $. I'm hesitant on the need suits if they are the same as the volcom suit I have. It will randomly give me a rash under my arm and the knee pad is leaking where I duckdive and I've only had it a few months..Haven't gotten a wetsuit rash since the 90's until this suit.
I would find a good 3/2 bezt fit first, comfortable and flexy 2nd, and then not overpriced for 805 normal winter and long upswelling spring. I have a 4/3 hooded 'bong furnace for North trips. Try suits at beachhouse, CI, and or VSS. If you order on line cleanline is a great shop to buy from:cheers:

slipped_disc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2019
I may be the odd one out but my Vans booties were disappointing. Leaky from the get-go, and the sole wore out faster than other brands.

Xcel Drylock’s also been my favorite RT bootie so far.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Xcel still my go to for booties and gloves. There may be better options but I'm generally disappointed when I stray from Xcel.

Actually for my travel booties I dig the Billabong 3mm split toes.

Tried some 5mm vans and they were wayyyy to tight.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
I am looking for a comfortable 3 mm wetsuits boots with a soft grip sole with good board feel..........any recommendations?
The Billabong Furnace Comps. It's just a neoprene sole covered with thin silicon strips for traction. They're the only booties I'll wear. The caveat is that they're not very durable. Don't walk on concrete with them and you might want to look elsewhere if you surf mainly rocky breaks.

They run large. I'm a 9.5 shoe and wear Furnace Comp in a small.

Reactions: diegof_carpintero

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
For Drylocks:

Do you size up/down or true to size?
I'm usually a 10.5 in shoes and often go 10 in booties (sometimes .5 sizes are not an option so i trend down).

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I'm generally a 10.5 and I go with an 11 in Drylock boots. I always get the rounded toe variety and have them in 3, 5 and 7 mil versions. If you can try on, do. Drylocks have a lot of rubber around the toes and are lower volume than some other boots so don't tend to stretch as much as others. I think Xcel was doing half sizes for awhile but not sure if that still is thing.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
For Drylocks:

Do you size up/down or true to size?
I'm usually a 10.5 in shoes and often go 10 in booties (sometimes .5 sizes are not an option so i trend down).
I size down. I'm a 12 in most shoes and I go 11 in the round toe Xcel's.

My take is that booties should be very snug when new. Not painful but definitely tight for the first couple sessions. Once they break in they will be perfect. If they fit perfect to start they will get saggy after a couple sessions and that's pretty much the worst.

Just busted out a new pair of 8mm Xcel infiniti boots for this morning's session. Toasty feet, hell yeah.

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I’m in 3mm booties yr round, in the water 3+ days a week typically.

Drylock booties. Always end up going back to them. Xcel wetsuits in recent years are hot garbage but their booties are still the t!ts.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I size down. I'm a 12 in most shoes and I go 11 in the round toe Xcel's.

My take is that booties should be very snug when new. Not painful but definitely tight for the first couple sessions. Once they break in they will be perfect. If they fit perfect to start they will get saggy after a couple sessions and that's pretty much the worst.

Just busted out a new pair of 8mm Xcel infiniti boots for this morning's session. Toasty feet, hell yeah.
8mm?!? Might as well wear some Sorels

• Haha
Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I wear 3mm booties for the walk down the track on frosty mornings - maybe 10 days a year?