Breaking down various EPS/alt constructions

Dec 1, 2022
was gearing up to order a Twinsman and have ridden almost exclusively Stretch CFT boards for many years. PU feels terrible to me now. How is the EPS construction from Album outside of pricey??

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
PU is PU, tried and true in good waves and shapes like TKF, staps, bigger boars. Horses for courses.
Most of the year (2023 especially), our waves are pretty crap, so i prefer the light weight and pop of alt builds:
1. Varial Carbon (gold standard)
2. Varial
3. XTR SLC
4. DA (best groveler build)
5. EPS/epoxy
6. Almond softie (con: dents like aruka's styrofoam cooler lid. LOL)
7. Wet noodle
8. Catch Surf softie #hardforsofttops
:geek:

edit: Da Fuq is Future/Super Flex?? Is that the fling fishnet?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
what's the dofference between venarial cabron and dank farts. weight?
you haven't experienced...

It's the feel, but hard to describe. varial cabrón not as stiff and doesn't feel like it rides on top of the water as much as DA (I dont wanna say corky, but in that direction). I'm hooked, could get expensive. you can try my insanity whenever the surf gods finally deliver some waves around here. Would be curious to hear your impression of it.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This week surfing a super high tide I lost track of where some submerged rocks were and accidently cracked out a fin box. The next morning I was able to fix it in under an hour and have the board ready to surf. You can't pull that off with Epoxy.

Also this week one of my boys dinged an EPS Epoxy board. Pretty strait forward repair. Got it all finished......or so I thought. Gave it a final check for pin air........son of a bitch. Pin air. Had to sand it and coat it again with an ice bag on the board. Would have been a 10 minute repair with PU/PE.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Personal counterpoint is I fix 5x the dings (easy) in poly that I do in any EPS. I've never dinged a C4 or a Black Dart or a LightSpeed. My Cabron Warp got dinged flying San Francisco. Sanded, suncured, and getting beatswept at OB inside of 15 minutes.

Sooooo many flailed top turns/re-entries where the heel/ankle/knee bonks and PUPE that'd be for sure a ding in the board with leg hair and blood in it.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc