How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Talking with them is what I have come to the conclusion to as well. I'm just not sure how that conversation is going to go.
You do need to talk to them and give them a chance to make changes that will work for both parties. This is the right way to initially address this situation.
However, keep in mind that these guys built this range where they did knowing that it would be a nuisance. The fact that they did this without informing you first, makes them a bad neighbor. Based on this, be prepared for them to tell you to pound sand. If they do, call the powers that be and inform them that there is an illegal shooting range at said property and that it is a nuisance and a hazard and you want it shut down ASAP.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Oh, I get it. No way I’d want gunshots next door at any time because of the noise

but I also think about how far a bullet could travel

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You do need to talk to them and give them a chance to make changes that will work for both parties. This is the right way to initially address this situation.
However, keep in mind that these guys built this range where they did knowing that it would be a nuisance. The fact that they did this without informing you first, makes them a bad neighbor. Based on this, be prepared for them to tell you to pound sand. If they do, call the powers that be and inform them that there is an illegal shooting range at said property and that it is a nuisance and a hazard and you want it shut down ASAP.
Such a bummer. Id have a hard time talking to them at this point bc of what dicks they are. I’d also have a hard time coming to an agreeable solution for both parties bc of how they went about it (totally illegally) and bc sadly I’ve found if you give them an inch they will take a mile and next thing you know they’re violating the agreement/back to square one

1693961373313.jpeg

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
I justt watched the vid. Thats fugged up. You need to address it pronto. Dont be a chicken with your head cut off. As soon as they see you coming over they are gonna know why. You just gotta say its ridiculous and unfair. They should know better. Yes you understand its their land Waco Texas and they have rights but this is just not the way to do things. It would be better on the other side of their property. Tell them how its affecting you. Don't threaten at this point. Help them see the light. Wear your Trump Tee and bring them an 18 pack.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Get your guns and start firing onto their targets from over on your deck. It's so close to your house you may as well get some taget practice in too, right? What could possibly go wrong?

Or you could move to a new place but not sell and instead burn tires on your lot every day for the next year.

Seriously though, that's a super shitty situation. That video is painful. I can't imagine living next to that. It makes loud parties and leafblowers seem like nothing. What the fuck is wrong with people? It doesn't seem as though they will be reasonable or rational. If they were, they wouldn't have built a firing range in a neighborhood in the first place or be out firing at 8AM. I think you need to go over and have a very calm and polite conversation about it. Bring someone with you as a witness and lay out your grievances and politely ask them to shut it down. Covertly make an audio recording of the conversation (I'd say just straight up video it but that will set the conversation off on the wrong foot right away) so if it goes sideways and/or they threaten you, you can go to the police. Good luck.

Reactions: npsp and keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I do believe a conversation would be a good start but that said I would most certainly consult a lawyer before I made a move in any direction. For real. Not kidding. This has the potential to be a very serious and difficult situation so need to get your ducks all lined up before you go in even if you have the best intentions.
erBB internet lawyer ~out (I am not a lawyer and you need to take what I say accordingly)
Hope it all works out amiably.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I do believe a conversation would be a good start but that said I would most certainly consult a lawyer before I made a move in any direction. For real. Not kidding. This has the potential to be a very serious and difficult situation so need to get your ducks all lined up before you go in even if you have the best intentions.
erBB internet lawyer ~out (I am not a lawyer and you need to take what I say accordingly)
Hope it all works out amiably.
That would be my first step but I think he’s screwed anyway.

You ever go to the speedway bike races at the fair grounds? Early Bruce Penhall, Danny “Berserko”Becker?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
That would be my first step but I think he’s screwed anyway.

You ever go to the speedway bike races at the fair grounds? Early Bruce Penhall, Danny “Berserko”Becker?
I was a regular back then!
My buddy's older brother Kevin Weeda used to race against them.
We made it back to Tustin 17th Street exit from 55 on ramp in 4 minutes in my buddies El Camino 396SS one night. I kid you not. There was no traffic back then and you could fly wide open. Damn I miss those days.

Reactions: ElOgro

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Lawyer is a good idea. And definitely dont audio record someone without their permission on their own property.

Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Hire mercenaries, take them out as they "practice", plant 'backfired' pistols on them, call the cops and tell em you think your neighbor's just killed his father in law, and vice versa, you heard them arguing shortly before but couldn't quote make out what that was all about.

:socrazy::bricks::cursing:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
They're never as quiet as people think (unless you are using subsonic ammo):

View attachment 162178
1. I bet he can clearly hear them inside his house with the doors and windows closed today. My guess is, suppressor would help that out. For sure that loud cracking pop would be...suppressed at least a little?
2. These people moved in and the first noticeable thing they did with the property was build a firing range
3. They use it at 8am on Saturday mornings
4. It sounds like a semi-rural part of North Carolina. It sounds like the "police" is really the County Sheriff.
5. I am not sure how much longer until they "get bored" and maybe the use will be more sporadic. Shittier weather as the year winds down will probably help, but the poster in question isn't sitting outside with his coffee when it's 38 degrees and pissing rain

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
5. I am not sure how much longer until they "get bored" and maybe the use will be more sporadic. Shittier weather as the year winds down will probably help, but the poster in question isn't sitting outside with his coffee when it's 38 degrees and pissing rain
This.
My neigboor (non-speaking terms) built a Lanai on the side of his house, with a large outdoor tv. We could hear the damn thing from inside. This was a few years back. Nowadays, the thing is never used. I think they tired of the noise from the freeway, and the cold shady wind tunnel. This same dude used to pickup his dog's poop and leave it in an open bucket next to the fence also. We share 200 feet of fence. This same farker also built a mini-ramp, again, next to the fence. His kids don't use it, it sits rotting. Don't get me started on the multiple dogs barking every time I step outside...

Never, ever, anything on the side of his house adjacent to a large vacant lot.

Best part was watching big sport events when they were "entertaining". For some reason, my tv would be about 10 seconds ahead of his. SO satisfying for us to be whooping it up before they knew what happened.