Different strains....

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
what ever happened to proper skunk varieties?

I miss those....
20230625_081940.jpg

Fat stubby leaves, this is one of those skunks for sure.

With the popularity of cross breeding genetics to get more 'desired' effects, what has effectively happened is that yes some great new cross strains have come to play, but also the practical elimination of any 100% pure breeds has befallen us as well.

These days, only place I know to get 100% pure land race (original old school strains) varieties is in the personal gardens of growers who do boutique style cultivation for personal consumption. These are the only people who can give you a 100% sativa or indica to taste. And of course, the only place to get "your dad's weed" which is what all my partaking nephews and nieces call the old school stuff.

The irony is, they put it down as inferior while at home Stateside smoking their hybrids, but then when they come to visit, they always play the same tune.

"Wow! Uncle SF, your weed sure tastes different, I mean you can actually taste the fruit in there! And it never leaves you hungover the next morning, why is that?"

Well my friends, it's the "new craze" now in boutique weed... they call it "veganic" which is a hybridization of vegan/organic. I've been growing this way for 40 years... and here now it's the new "Ferrari weed".

:shrug::socrazy:

Ladies and gentlemen, here you have it, coming to a grocery store near you, and charging you up the Ying yang for the "new" thing, which is actually older than the veganic dirt they are using as a cultivation medium.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101

I miss those....
I had to google that and I came up with this article. Over the years because cannabis is an annual with all the cross-breeding some of these strains tend to go back to 'rope' while others can go the other way. For instance how many strains of 'OG' are there? Like 30 maybe? Way back in 1980 or so some friends had gotten some seeds right out of the Hundu Kush mountains of Afghanistan. That sh!t was amazing, had never seen anything like it. The plants we multi-colored and looked like snails had been crawling all over the buds. And then the naming of strains is kinda hilarious. My ex son-in-law had gotten some clones from a buddy of his that lived in a trailer park. He didn't know what strain it was but it was very good. So he called it 'trailer park'...meanwhile buyers kept coming back saying 'we want the trailer park man'. Viola, new strain!

Redeyes

OTF status
Jan 16, 2015
Jacksonville, FL

I miss those....
Todd McCormick was one of the original medical marijuana patients in the US. He spent a lot of time in Amsterdam with the people involved in the older building block strains we loved years ago. Todd got the seeds from Skunkman Sams fridge and reproduced them, along with some other strains you may like as well. Check him out, he’s the real deal.

THESE SKUNK #1 SEEDS HAVE ONLY BEEN REPRODUCED TWICE SINCE 1988!

In 1988 Mel Frank begot Skunk No.1 seeds from Skunkman Sam, put them into the the refrigerator until 1996 when he reproduced them 8 years later. Then Mel Frank properly stored them for another 24 years until 2020, when they were grown and selected by Todd for the more acrid terpene phenotypes.

This is the legendary Skunk #1, developed by Skunkman Sam in the 1970's and is a relatively stabilized, true breeding hybrid.

Originally offered by Sacred Seeds and Cultivators Choice, it is a combination of:

(Afghan x Colombian Gold) x Acapulco Gold

0C2651BC-6795-4B33-A77C-CE6A02CA7D43.jpeg

Last edited:

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I had an incident with a deer getting stuck in my backyard, it panicked and couldn't figure to jump the fence and instead proceeded to head butt and trample my whole garden going back a forth for a tense couple minutes...lost my best mango smile that was about 3 weeks from chop. I should have just stayed inside, but man I wanted him out. Indoor is looking gooood - will update with pics this week.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
The outstanding strain of my youth was Panama Red, 100% Sativa. A friend got some and shared a skinny joint with me back in the 1970s in the parking lot of Tikis in Monterey Park, where we worked as bus boys. I took a few tokes and we split to go home. About 10 minutes after smoking, I had to pull over and park. I took a nap in the back seat of my car. That stuff smashed me with only a few tokes! A friend from Panama said the best Red came from San Miguel of the Pearl Islands off the coast of Panama.
San Miguel, Panamá Province - Bing Maps

Did anyone see that documentary a few years ago of a guy searching for a pristine Sativa strain from Africa. I don't know what it was called.
5 Of The Rarest Weed Strains on Earth - Buds Ltd.

I like the looks of Indicas with their fat leaves and dark green color!

Of all the plants I've grown in my lifetime the most interesting I grew was a Super Skunk. It had strange vegetative growth, instead of 7 blades, then 9, then 11 blade leaves. My Super Skunk had a single blade per leaf, but many more leaves. It grew vigorously, and only a few tokes were more than enough.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Todd McCormick was one of the original medical marijuana patients in the US. He spent a lot of time in Amsterdam with the people involved in the older building block strains we loved years ago. Todd got the seeds from Skunkman Sams fridge and reproduced them, along with some other strains you may like as well. Check him out, he’s the real deal.

THESE SKUNK #1 SEEDS HAVE ONLY BEEN REPRODUCED TWICE SINCE 1988!

In 1988 Mel Frank begot Skunk No.1 seeds from Skunkman Sam, put them into the the refrigerator until 1996 when he reproduced them 8 years later. Then Mel Frank properly stored them for another 24 years until 2020, when they were grown and selected by Todd for the more acrid terpene phenotypes.

This is the legendary Skunk #1, developed by Skunkman Sam in the 1970's and is a relatively stabilized, true breeding hybrid.

Originally offered by Sacred Seeds and Cultivators Choice, it is a combination of:

(Afghan x Colombian Gold) x Acapulco Gold

View attachment 157185
Beautiful plant bro, I was also misinformed as to the strains origin and my research (getting high and googling who bred skunk #1) yielded this

And omg do I love Skunk #1, hoping when I get back my dispensary bros with the bio organic grow saved me some along with Northern Lights if it’s done or there’s any left. My other old school favorite is AK-47

Reactions: Aquaman2

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The outstanding strain of my youth was Panama Red, 100% Sativa. A friend got some and shared a skinny joint with me back in the 1970s in the parking lot of Tikis in Monterey Park, where we worked as bus boys. I took a few tokes and we split to go home. About 10 minutes after smoking, I had to pull over and park. I took a nap in the back seat of my car. That stuff smashed me with only a few tokes! A friend from Panama said the best Red came from San Miguel of the Pearl Islands off the coast of Panama.
San Miguel, Panamá Province - Bing Maps

Did anyone see that documentary a few years ago of a guy searching for a pristine Sativa strain from Africa. I don't know what it was called.
5 Of The Rarest Weed Strains on Earth - Buds Ltd.

I like the looks of Indicas with their fat leaves and dark green color!

Of all the plants I've grown in my lifetime the most interesting I grew was a Super Skunk. It had strange vegetative growth, instead of 7 blades, then 9, then 11 blade leaves. My Super Skunk had a single blade per leaf, but many more leaves. It grew vigorously, and only a few tokes were more than enough.
My guess on the documentary is

Here's some Dosidos about 2 weeks from harvest and turning purple.
Ive always loved purple weed bro, out of curiosity from a large scale cultivator‘s standpoint why did you pick Gelato for that run?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aquaman2

Redeyes

OTF status
Jan 16, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Ive always loved purple weed bro, out of curiosity from a large scale cultivator‘s standpoint why did you pick Gelato for that run?
the market has been dictating bs purple weed with fruity flavors for the past 5 years or so. You know the stuff with a half hour buzz And a dumb name like “rainbow belts”. Kids these days are a bunch of puzzies when it comes to smoking weed. They will never know about the all day red eyed stoned stupid you would get from the Mexican imports from back in the day.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
the market has been dictating bs purple weed with fruity flavors for the past 5 years or so. You know the stuff with a half hour buzz And a dumb name like “rainbow belts”. Kids these days are a bunch of puzzies when it comes to smoking weed. They will never know about the all day red eyed stoned stupid you would get from the Mexican imports from back in the day.
When I lived in LA the dispensaries went through phases bro, diesel, kush, og, etc and favorite was the purps bro. GDP, Grape Ape, Purple Erkel, etc were everywhere. Bro I don’t remember the highs as not being legit, but I remember some out of this world tastes

I think AK-47 is my favorite buzz tbh. That or the Federation Hawaiian (Mauna Loa) Sativa I ordered seeds of from Marc Emery and if I knew then what I know now would’ve made so many seeds it’s not funny. Pure sativa that grew big tight buds on a cactus shaped plant, tasted like Pineapple and according to the catalog was “perfect for an active lifestyle “. I would always joke it also should’ve read “active lifestyle not included“ lol. It’s pretty much disappeared now sadly in its pure form

Last edited:

Redeyes

OTF status
Jan 16, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
When I lived in LA the dispensaries went through phases bro, diesel, kush, og, etc and favorite was the purps bro. GDP, Grape Ape, Purple Erkel, etc were everywhere. Bro I don’t remember the highs as not being legit, but I remember some out of this world tastes

I think AK-47 is my favorite buzz tbh. That or the Federation Hawaiian (Mauna Loa) Sativa I ordered seeds of from Marc Emery and if I knew then what I know now would’ve made so many seeds it’s not funny. Pure sativa that grew big tight buds on a cactus shaped plant, tasted like Pineapple and according to the catalog was “perfect for an active lifestyle “. I would always joke it also should’ve read “active lifestyle not included“ lol. It’s pretty much disappeared now sadly in its pure form
GDP, Grape Ape, Purp Urk…. Those were some legendary purple strains 20 years ago. The purple ones of today are boring imo. I had some outdoor pineapple in 2004ish that was so insane. It smelled and tasted more like a pineapple then a ripe cut pineapple.

Why don’t we have awesome tasting weed anymore? I get hints and notes from the past, but it’s just not the same for some reason.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
My outdoor white widow from dutch passion is one of my favorites and it gets you absolutely rocked...really natural taste and good stone.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
i got a bag of local weed from one of the guides on a surf trip in salina cruz. all day red eyed stoned and had no ceiling. brought back around 20 seeds, popped them and found a keeper that didn't stretch too much (several of the seeds wanted to take over the tent a week after the flip to flower).

there's a brand of seeds called Ace Seeds i found on icmag.com that produces some great sativas. if i ever set up another tent, that's the stuff i want to pick through.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
You guys are gonna have to give me tips on the best cost/benefit dispensaries not too far from LAX so I can get some as soon as I land :waving: (September 13 is almost here! well, not quite... but it kinda is)

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Dr Greenthumbs - try the Insane OG if they have any in stock - i got some prerolls awhile back that were.... insane
Thanks! I know exactly where that is too, easy peasy.

Good cost benefit though? It may be, but from the pics it does look rather premium(ish). I'll definitely check it out.

I usually like to drive towards the westside for the first time getting from Lincoln, I just love that view of the city passing through that fountain... it's like "yeah baby, we're here" (it was my first view of LA ever, sorry, I get emotional).

1687886726876.png
But whatever, I'll take the 405, get to the dispensary and than drive down using the Marina Fwy.

I really miss this little corner of the earth...

Reactions: averagejoe

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Thanks! I know exactly where that is too, easy peasy.

Good cost benefit though? It may be, but from the pics it does look rather premium(ish). I'll definitely check it out.

I usually like to drive towards the westside for the first time getting from Lincoln, I just love that view of the city passing through that fountain... it's like "yeah baby, we're here" (it was my first view of LA ever, sorry, I get emotional).

View attachment 157370
But whatever, I'll take the 405, get to the dispensary and than drive down using the Marina Fwy.

I really miss this little corner of the earth...
their stuff isn't cheap. i went bc it's owned by b real from cypress hill and i kinda follow one of the guys in his grow crew

Reactions: brukuns and Chocki