Smaller Bead EPS?

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
Honest question, why is EPS even a thing in surfboards? If extruded closed cell foam like XTR and varial is easier to shape, waterproof, and has a more natural feel then why would anyone choose an eps blank? Is it really that much cheaper to manufacture? Eps seems to absorb water like a sponge as soon as it's open thru a ding...

However, some really know what they're doing. Stretch obviously has it down and makes some of the best quality boards in the biz
EPS is cheaper and more readily available worldwide. And consumers choose cheaper more often than not.

If EPS had been the starting point for everyone, then PUPE might have never been a thing. Poly would feel heavy, and sluggish compared to the accustomed accepted as "natural" feel of EPS. Then adaptation to newer XTR and Varial type foams could have evolved to the norm possibly. HST, surfers are stereotyped as cheap, impatient, and often lazy. Poly construction lines up pretty well with that so it might have been hard to stop from being our "natural" unless it didn't exist.

Many entrants are now starting with EPS constructions and staying with them. Poly might become the weird feel for most over time. The other newer foams or more complicated EPS/Epoxy constructions may be seen as the next step in progression when ordering or buying a board. Currently you might get to those long after riding poly, more standard EPS or Asian EPS constructions.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Would be good to get the opinion of @waxurDyl. He’s tried every construction under the sun numerous times but is back to poly builds.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I tried my hardest to like EPS boards through the years. Obviously, you have seen my quivers built around them. I’ve had quivers of basic EPS/epoxy, to more elaborate
EPS/carbon fiber, Dan Mann’s INCIDE blanks(search it if you don’t know what that is), CI’s Flex Bars and SpineTeks, etc, etc….All with EPS blanks as the common denominator. But no matter who made them and how they were made, they just don’t have the smoothness going through water that polyurethane has.

Guys mention Stretch and Justin, and I’ve had them use different lamination techniques & materials to add weight. Doing that would tamper the “chatter” people always talk about, but they would still want to push to the surface quicker than polyurethane. There’s just no glide to them. I’m no scientist but I know what I feel when surfing different constructions. The gaps between EPS beads are essentially tiny bubbles in a board. Blow a bubble under water and it will want to rise straight to the surface. That’s the best way I can explain it. If all things being equal, a polyurethane board will cover more distance than an EPS board if pushed through the water.

What does that mean while paddling and riding a wave? It’s way easier to paddle a poly board because you cover more distance with each stroke. Poly boards are also more stable because it is doing more of what you want it to do, instead of wanting to float to the surface like an EPS board. Which is why people describe a “squirrelly” feeling or an an “unpredictability” with EPS. When considering those characteristics, it’s easy to see why poly is better for bigger waves and wind.

I will say the extruded(XPS) foam that XTR and custom FCDs use are a very good
in-between, along with Varial. They feel A LOT closer to a poly/PU board. And a Varial laminated with PU resin will be even closer, but their foam is too soft for me and I like the feel/flex of a stringer

As I get older, my sessions are becoming more valuable to me. I’ve gone back to an all poly/PU quiver(even a few with carbon fiber) bc experimenting just isn’t worth the time & and money anymore. I get more upset at wasted sessions now than I used to bc time is more valuable to me than it used to. There’s still no better feeling board than a traditionally built Poly/PU. And when it’s built the right way, with quality materials by expert craftsmen, they flex better and keep that flex longer….meaning they age better and last longer better than an EPS/epoxy board, imo

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I tried my hardest to like EPS boards through the years. Obviously, you have seen my quivers built around them. I’ve had quivers of basic EPS/epoxy, to more elaborate
EPS/carbon fiber, Dan Mann’s INCIDE blanks(search it if you don’t know what that is), CI’s Flex Bars and SpineTeks, etc, etc….All with EPS blanks as the common denominator. But no matter who made them and how they were made, they just don’t have the smoothness going through water that polyurethane has.

Guys mention Stretch and Justin, and I’ve had them use different lamination techniques & materials to add weight. Doing that would tamper the “chatter” people always talk about, but they would still want to push to the surface quicker than polyurethane. There’s just no glide to them. I’m no scientist but I know what I feel when surfing different constructions. The gaps between EPS beads are essentially tiny bubbles in a board. Blow a bubble under water and it will want to rise straight to the surface. That’s the best way I can explain it. If all things being equal, a polyurethane board will cover more distance than an EPS board if pushed through the water.

What does that mean while paddling and riding a wave? It’s way easier to paddle a poly board because you cover more distance with each stroke. Poly boards are also more stable because it is doing more of what you want it to do, instead of wanting to float to the surface like an EPS board. Which is why people describe a “squirrelly” feeling or an an “unpredictability” with EPS. When considering those characteristics, it’s easy to see why poly is better for bigger waves and wind.

in-between, along with Varial. They feel A LOT closer to a poly/PU board. And a Varial laminated with PU resin will be even closer, but their foam is too soft for me and I like the feel/flex of a stringer

As I get older, my sessions are becoming more valuable to me. I’ve gone back to an all poly/PU quiver(even a few with carbon fiber) bc experimenting just isn’t worth the time & and money anymore. I get more upset at wasted sessions now than I used to bc time is more valuable to me than it used to. There’s still no better feeling board than a traditionally built Poly/PU. And when it’s built the right way, with quality materials by expert craftsmen, they flex better and keep that flex longer….meaning they age better and last longer better than an EPS/epoxy board, imo
Have you tried poly/epoxy?

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020

Yeah dyl, I couldn't agree more with you.

BrownFish

Michael Peterson status
Mar 5, 2005
All of this is personal experience/preference. No disrespect to anyone! Try what you like, and if it works for you, then run with it! Don't know how many bricks i've sold or ridden, only to be told by my friend or others it's the best board they ever rode!

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
EPS groveler I liked immediately. I won't get a board that's solely for less than head high in poly again unless maybe it's the first iteration of a model I'm moving into. I'd try to get an EPS version as soon as possible if I liked it. EPS in small waves is a cheat code.

Reactions: Aruka, JDJ and jkb

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
EPS groveler I liked immediately. I won't get a board that's solely for less than head high in poly again unless maybe it's the first iteration of a model I'm moving into. I'd try to get an EPS version as soon as possible if I liked it. EPS in small waves is a cheat code.
Don't do it! Read these facts:
If all things being equal, a polyurethane board will cover more distance than an EPS board if pushed through the water.

What does that mean while paddling and riding a wave? It’s way easier to paddle a poly board because you cover more distance with each stroke.

• Haha
Reactions: ghostshaper and JDJ