Mental Health Thread - addendum

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
whomever deleted it did the right thing

If you complain in your 50s what are you going to do in your 60s? Get a wider, longer board and paddle out and go. Be that guy who's still doing it when they're 80. You probably won't be, but you won't know unless you try. And you're never going to make yourself happy anyway. Might as well focus on trying to make someone else happy.
I’d replace happy with content. Otherwise, well said.

Bop until you drop. In moderation.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Worrying fixes nothing
see my post signature

have you considered posting your journal here on the erbb?
i’m thinking it might be cathartic
The catharsis is the process. Once those words are down on paper they don’t mean anything anymore bc that’s not who I am now. That was who I was when I wrote them.

Plus Im not even sure my words could help anyone else? Could having a grizzly bears claws help a killer whale? Would having an orcas sonar help a grizzly bear?

Reactions: Boneroni

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
One of the downsides of living a long life is losing friends and family along the way. Make the most of what’s left, cause you never know
I read something along the lines of, "In the best possible circumstances, you will watch everyone who you love that is older than you die"

Well that's uplifting :toilet:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
My mom was still making new friends into her 80s. She lived alone for the last 35 years of her life, but had a very active social life with friends from high school, from her kids friends parents, from the church parish, and from work
she made a point of making friends with friends of friends, and would lightheartedly say how so many friends were dying and she had to keep replacing them
she was pretty outgoing, and fun at a party
she loved to laugh, was a great listener, and never complained
and she was an active friend, who didn’t wait for someone to call her, she organized and often hosted
she didn’t rely on her 4 kids for her social life, like so many older people do

she died young at 83, healthy one day then dead the next
her wake was crowded, and a real tribute to what a great friend she was. we have hardly any family, and I think it’s rare for an 83 year old to have so many friends at a wake

i wish I was more like her (when she was alive), but she gave me a roadmap to live and be happy irregardless of the bumps and scars along the way

Norm'

Duke status
Jan 31, 2003
Lovetron
I hope that's not the case. I'm gonna guess r32 removed it not to expose subs until he's back on his feet and is able to judge whether or not he wants all those posts out there. He could have deleted the specific posts like he did with a few of mine when I melted down around a year ago. But we're gonna have to wait and see. I just hope Subs is fine.
Sounds like I missed something.....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I told him he was “brincando el tiburón” but nobody listens to ElOgro. Autosubway’d on his own thread.

I thought he was supposed to be in Oaxaca right now?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I read something along the lines of, "In the best possible circumstances, you will watch everyone who you love that is older than you die"
I contemplated that at an early age and decided "live hard, die young" was the way to go.

:jamon:

So I lived hard but something went wrong and here I am getting old!

:foreheadslap:

What do I do now?!?!?

:roflmao:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
This Saturday I will attend the funeral of a good friend, 50 years old.
Going to a wake today at noon.

We're friends with the mom, wake is for her 58 yr old son (who died of an overdose).

PS
There was some cartoon poster joke about being over the hill or going downhill. The gallows humor part was "...and the good thing is how much fun it is coast (or 'go faster', or 'how you pick up speed', or something along those lines).

PPS

One of the downsides of living a long life is losing friends and family along the way. Make the most of what’s left, cause you never know
Dear old dad has said the same thing (as did Great Aunt June). Though they intellectually understood it, the emotional aspect is (was) not so easy to handle.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Joshua2415

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
When my grandpa turned 90, I asked him what he wanted to do. I would pay for it. Anything in the world and I would make it happen. Go flying again? Travel somewhere? See or do that 'one thing' he never got around to doing.

He said he didn't want to do anything and was just waiting to die.

And he chuckled when he said it. Literally laughed at the prospect of dying. I asked him why not do something fun? Then he told me how he has outlived all of his friends and some of their kids too, outlived his wife (grandma) by 25+ years, how he had been to more funerals than he can ever count, and that he was last person in the room with nothing left to do but wait.

Four years later, he fell while trying to move a new microwave in the house. I was like wtf grandpa, call me first! Broke his hip. After leaving the hospital they put him in rehab center. He was doing great, until he caught pneumonia from his roommate at the rehab place, and that's what got him.

Living a really long time seems tough on the soul.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Just found out someone I knew died of cancer at 34. I knew she was on her last legs because she got put on some "there is nothing we can do" medicine a while back. She had it for 10 years. Still, she kept her head up through all that crap and had 10 years of great living despite the grim prognosis. More than we can say about you guys and your minor life setbacks. They are usually caused by your own mishandling of drugs and drink combined with a weak mental disposition :roflmao:

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
You gotta love when you mention that you struggle with Anxiety and someone says "did you try not worrying too much?".

OMFG, HOW DAFUQ DID THAT NOT OCCUR TO ME BEFORE?! THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU ARE A FUCKING GENIUS! :roflmao:
Maybe there are habits that can be broken
and replaced with other habits

i said maybe.
i think some people are more prone to worry than others, but I also think that it may be possible to learn to worry less

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
You are grown men. Anxiety doesn't exist for you. Of all soy infused words, anxiety is the one that reeks the most. Get your self together. The OG mental health thread was 250 pages++ of just disgraceful reading, this is starting out no better.

Anxiety:roflmao: DIE FAGGGGOOOOTTTTTT:roflmao:

1685733470206.png

More like froggot in this case, but still very funny!

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You are grown men. Anxiety doesn't exist for you. Of all soy infused words, anxiety is the one that reeks the most. Get your self together. The OG mental health thread was 250 pages++ of just disgraceful reading, this is starting out no better.

Anxiety:roflmao: DIE FAGGGGOOOOTTTTTT:roflmao:

View attachment 155440

More like froggot in this case, but still very funny!
You need a wife and kids. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Fortunate not to deal with anxiety, except in the anxious to die old woman my mother has become at 89.

Seeing younger fitter friends die, and dealing with her on a daily basis, 24/7/365 × 3 has taken a toll.

Though I put on a smile for her, and my wife, I have to admit that inside I'm not smiling much.

Stoic as can be, not doing it for me... must stick to the shtick for those who depend on me.

But it is nice to be able to come in here and whine like a puzzy every once in a while.

Anyone talk to, or communicate with @Subway ? Starting to worry about him. And I've got enough to worry about IRL, without adding virtual friends to the list.

If anyone is in contact, please let him know "Canary Guy" says high, and hope you are doing well.

:toilet::waving::shaka::)

Reactions: Driftcoast

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Fortunate not to deal with anxiety, except in the anxious to die old woman my mother has become at 89.

Seeing younger fitter friends die, and dealing with her on a daily basis, 24/7/365 × 3 has taken a toll.

Though I put on a smile for her, and my wife, I have to admit that inside I'm not smiling much.

Stoic as can be, not doing it for me... must stick to the shtick for those who depend on me.

But it is nice to be able to come in here and whine like a puzzy every once in a while.

Anyone talk to, or communicate with @Subway ? Starting to worry about him. And I've got enough to worry about IRL, without adding virtual friends to the list.

If anyone is in contact, please let him know "Canary Guy" says high, and hope you are doing well.

:toilet::waving::shaka::)
I'm sure that she has spent many years of her life dealing with and caring for you on a daily basis, as all moms do. Next week will be 3 years since my mom died and I would give just about anything to have her back, even for just one day to thank her for all her love and support over the years and let her know that I love her one last time. There's reason every athlete says 'Hi mom' when they're on tv...moms are special.

I hope Subway is doing ok and makes an appearance soon.

Last edited: