Home improvement - where to start?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
1 Mainly used a sharp shooter shovel, and in the bigger areas, used a long handled spaded shovel.

2 Moved dirt with wheel barrow, not too far away (don't have photo of the pile). Also filled the rolling compost bin (as provided by the garage company for all SFH in the CIty) with the wet gunk at the bottom of the hole.

3 SF requires cast iron. Inspection tomorrow, so no cheating allowed.

4 Backfilling will require a fair bit of stomping about to compact it.
IMG_5766.jpeg
The one on the left (Wacker) is for inside the ditch, on the right (sled) is for final surfacing. Any job worth doing…

Reactions: npsp and Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I need to reevaluate my shovel quiver.
Actually, I used 5 [and a mattock (aka 'pick-axe' and sometimes mistakenly a 'pulaski' which is what firefighters use to get through a roof/door/wall)] because the deep down, the very dense clay started transitioning into the chert.

A. Sharp shooter
B. Long handle spade
C. Pointed digging (shorter with handle)
D Camp shovel (great when kneeling and and leveling the trench run)
E. Garden hand trowel (for the fine work by the nearby 100 yr old clay pipe)

Also used a bucket and quart-sized yogurt container to move soil out of the holes/trench....yogurt container deformed nicely to fit the 5 inch wide trench.

But work is done, now time to take some snaps prior to inspection tomorrow (will be taking day off to witness and get a jump on back-filling). After last home improvement/maintenance project, documenting everything.

The concrete guy (Friday) has assured me he will use a compactor, El Ogro. We need the new sections to tie into existing concrete and that means drilling and my drills/bits are too wimpy.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Actually, I used 5 [and a mattock (aka 'pick-axe' and sometimes mistakenly a 'pulaski' which is what firefighters use to get through a roof/door/wall)] because the deep down, the very dense clay started transitioning into the chert.

A. Sharp shooter
B. Long handle spade
C. Pointed digging (shorter with handle)
D Camp shovel (great when kneeling and and leveling the trench run)
E. Garden hand trowel (for the fine work by the nearby 100 yr old clay pipe)

Also used a bucket and quart-sized yogurt container to move soil out of the holes/trench....yogurt container deformed nicely to fit the 5 inch wide trench.

But work is done, now time to take some snaps prior to inspection tomorrow (will be taking day off to witness and get a jump on back-filling). After last home improvement/maintenance project, documenting everything.

The concrete guy (Friday) has assured me he will use one. We need the new sections to tie into existing concrete and that means drilling and my drills/bits are too wimpy.
You had me going until E. on your shovel quiver. A garden trowel isn’t a shovel bro.

How many of your neighbors have gone through the same thing?

It’s a given that the more home improvement you do the more you learn and you’ve been doing a bunch. What’s next on the agenda for la casa Doof?

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You had me going until E. on your shovel quiver. A garden trowel isn’t a shovel bro.

How many of your neighbors have gone through the same thing?

It’s a given that the more home improvement you do the more you learn and you’ve been doing a bunch. What’s next on the agenda for la casa Doof?
1) The garden trowel may not be not a "true' shovel, but a subspecies, which is why I included it in the list. See the parentage per the garden store menu below? :p

1684425780432.png

2) The homes in this neighborhood were all put in roughly within 5 yrs of each other. Lots of homes have done similar work or going to in the next decade or so. One home about 10 homes away from me and on a different street, the parents died about 8 yrs ago, the son moved in (and suddenly there was a $125K car parked on the street) just recently sold it to a flipper. First thing the flipper did is tear out the plumbing, going through the slab and everything. Anyway, when we did the front stairs a few years back, other homes had been doing the same for a while...we went with a monolithic poured concrete job instead of brick and mortar because I had seen those brick redos start to fail in under a decade...the shrink/expansion nature of clay soils can be a bitch. A few of the neighbors have come by to discuss things already. I am happy to discuss it all. The Texas guy who works for YouTube right next to us (with wife and two under the age of 5 kids) is mildly manic about house things.....so when I talk about subtle creep of land due to proximity of faults, soils, slope, precip, etc, he starts to wig out a little. I try to remind him that fires and lack of maintenance (preventive too) is the bigger concern......and good home owner's insurance. Now, if I can only get him to turn off the water in the kiddy pool out back on the hot days so the fence doesn't get undermined and my lime tree doesn't get yellowed leaves (from overwatering).

3) Next up will be replacing the front window. The double pane seal broke and there is condensation in it. Sigh, it was $10K to replace it about 20 yrs ago, but then we had to do the whole thing, keeping true to the original millwork. Good thing I am made of money :drowning:

PS

Inspection at 10:30 today.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
1) The garden trowel may not be not a "true' shovel, but a subspecies, which is why I included it in the list. See the parentage per the garden store menu below? :p

View attachment 154488

2) The homes in this neighborhood were all put in roughly within 5 yrs of each other. Lots of homes have done similar work or going to in the next decade or so. One home about 10 homes away from me and on a different street, the parents died about 8 yrs ago, the son moved in (and suddenly there was a $125K car parked on the street) just recently sold it to a flipper. First thing the flipper did is tear out the plumbing, going through the slab and everything. Anyway, when we did the front stairs a few years back, other homes had been doing the same for a while...we went with a monolithic poured concrete job instead of brick and mortar because I had seen those brick redos start to fail in under a decade...the shrink/expansion nature of clay soils can be a bitch. A few of the neighbors have come by to discuss things already. I am happy to discuss it all. The Texas guy who works for YouTube right next to us (with wife and two under the age of 5 kids) is mildly manic about house things.....so when I talk about subtle creep of land due to proximity of faults, soils, slope, precip, etc, he starts to wig out a little. I try to remind him that fires and lack of maintenance (preventive too) is the bigger concern......and good home owner's insurance. Now, if I can only get him to turn off the water in the kiddy pool out back on the hot days so the fence doesn't get undermined and my lime tree doesn't get yellowed leaves (from overwatering).

3) Next up will be replacing the front window. The double pane seal broke and there is condensation in it. Sigh, it was $10K to replace it about 20 yrs ago, but then we had to do the whole thing, keeping true to the original millwork. Good thing I am made of money :drowning:

PS

Inspection at 10:30 today.
I hope you pass with flying colors!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Could’ve sworn this was a Pulaski. Idk what to believe anymore now
View attachment 154489
That is what I think a Pulaski is.

I used a mattock at the chert layer:
1684518465844.png

I hope you pass with flying colors!
5 minute inspection ends with a signature on the permit indicating a "pass". Woo!

1684518402277.png

1684518587317.png

Drop at the end is over the gas line.

1684518617215.png

Back filled it myself yesterday and my manly thews are a bit on the sore side today.

Now for some concrete work.....

No.

Offhand, anyone wanna guess what I paid for the non-digging, non-filling, test-included plumbing?

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

View attachment 154583

5 minute inspection ends with a signature on the permit indicating a "pass". Woo!

View attachment 154582

View attachment 154584

View attachment 154585

Back filled it myself yesterday and my manly thews are a bit of the sore side today.

No.

Offhand, anyone wanna guess what I paid for the non-digging, non-filling, test-included plumbing?
The dirt goes back in the ditch easier than it comes out.

$10k in the ballpark?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

View attachment 154583

View attachment 154582

View attachment 154584

View attachment 154585

Back filled it myself yesterday and my manly thews are a bit on the sore side today.

No.

Probably $6,500 - $8,500.

Are you not allowed to use ABS for your own sewer lateral? Would have saved you a lot of time and $$$$. The City needs to update their material standards.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Cast Iron only here in the New York City metropolitan area...probably keeps a couple of cast iron pipe mfg's in business

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
managed to finally get ahead of all the weeds in the front and side yards (pull a few every time you walk past) but the grass/weeds growing through my ice plants are driving me nuts.

any tricks aside from just pulling them as they pop up? i feel like I’m pulling everything I see only to come home the next day and half of it’s grown back.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
managed to finally get ahead of all the weeds in the front and side yards (pull a few every time you walk past) but the grass/weeds growing through my ice plants are driving me nuts.

any tricks aside from just pulling them as they pop up? i feel like I’m pulling everything I see only to come home the next day and half of it’s grown back.
Pull the big ones and hit everything else with Round-Up.

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021

View attachment 154583

View attachment 154582

View attachment 154584

View attachment 154585

No.

From what is pictured you used

View attachment 154583

View attachment 154582

View attachment 154584

View attachment 154585

No.

Well you used 92 stainless hoseclamps on what you had pictured. At $3.28 thats $92 bucks not including tax. Do city inspectors have to pressure test drain pipe? Why did you have to go cast again? Why not ABS?Cast pipe isnt too bad but I havent calculated that i my estimate. Unbelievable how construction materials have gone up in the last 10 years. Previously it was a total deal to do home improvement stuff on your own. Now its often cheaper to contract out since they can get wholesale prices. Same thing with car repair since the mechanics get the shop price on parts. Cant win!