Daniel Jones Twin

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
View attachment 153932 View attachment 153933

Picked up my DJ twin from the sugar mill.

5’9 x 20 1/8 x 2 3/4.
4 oz bottom
4 oz e x 4 oz s deck with rear foot patches.

Gonna try the T1 or EN fins.
Did the hairs stand up on the back of your neck as you walked through there? Any of the rooms suddenly feel colder? GG's spirit could be there or maybe be just getting too close to a power planer or someone left a door open.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Did the hairs stand up on the back of your neck as you walked through there? Any of the rooms suddenly feel colder? GG's spirit could be there or maybe be just getting too close to a power planer or someone left a door open.
No the road into the sugar mill is utter crap and is capable of shaking out a loose tooth and any supernatural feelings I might’ve had. Griffin would approve of the clean rail line and fin placement. But frown on the Futures boxes.

Daniel’s shop is across the alley from Pyzel. DJ doesn’t sell tail pads and leashes so I went in to Pyzels to buy them. Jake up front was talking on the phone order with Mika. I told him I surfed with Mika earlier. Met Chris, Pyzel’s glasser. Nice, knowledgeable crew there too. I would get boars there if I didn’t have so much history with the Tokoros. But I’ll fully support buying the Veia brand goods that are JJF and Pyzel owned.

BTW the White and Red Tigers look sooo fun.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
start with T1. I think EN will be wayyyy too big. even noa deane used Rasta (t1 with v2 foil and pretty colors)

I ended up liking the Zach Flores, don’t own the T1 (nor Rasta version with v2 foil).

Thanks.
I’d post up pics of my Veia leash string and deck pad but I put the right side of the pad up a little higher than the left so I’ll save the erbb groans for another topic.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The cut of those tail blocks looks vaguely familiar.
That was my first thought too.

Took the DJ twin out to my summer regular. Waves were small but nice but got softer and slower after the first hour.

First wave, got a set about shoulder high. Told myself not to bottom turn like a thruster, got around a fast section and did a snap. The tail slid but I was over the boar and made it. Felt spicy.

Got a couple more like that and some runners. Still figuring out how to generate speed with the rails. There’s a lot of foam but Daniel foiled the rails so there’s not as much push back as my Tokoro rails. It should tip over great on carves.

Waves went to crap, it got crowded, soft and the sets slowed way down. This boar is not meant to grovel. The rocker, the sleek nose outline, the boar is meant for when the waves have a pocket and some push. I think later today there’s a bump expected. Give it another go tomorrow morning. If not when there’s a real swell.

I used the EN fins which are huge cause I rather grunt through turns than baby them. When I dial in how to generate speed with this rail profile I might size down.

Not the kind of waves the boar is meant for but I had to give it a wiggle and see if my asymmetrical tail pad was fire. Jury still out on that.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Surfed my regular on the DJ twin. It was lully but saw some runners every once in awhile so I paddled out.

Waves were about chest to shoulder high on the sets but standing up.

Got a couple of good ones. First one hit the lip and into a carve. Yes.

Next one took off deeper, came from behind and got a corner. Went up to hit it and the boar sprang into that turn. Pleasantly surprised. Came down with some speed into a gouge. Those rails helped the boar tip over easy and that felt really good. Yes yes.

Got a set Kawika was too deep on so he yelled at me to go. I was late and knifed in. Pumped once and pulled in. No slip and slide and was getting drained on a little low tide barrel. The section in front of me chandeliered and I fell busting through. Yes yes yes.

Boar top turns well, carves well, doesn’t slip in the tube, very happy with it even though the waves are on the lower end of what I want it for.

Showed it to Stu who shapes a lot of backyard boars for the older Bowls crew. He said it looks well designed and made. He said Daniel knows I’m a back footed thruster guy that’s probably why the fins are so far back, around 6in. And riding the EN fins are probably ok. But he hinted at me sizing down. I told him get out of my head.

I messaged DJ and he said the T1 or EN fins will work well with the boar.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Update on the DJ Rick Cane Twin.

I blew it over the weekend. Surfed the NS but didn’t bring the twin. It was forecasted to be doh. Brought a 5’10 and 6’0 thruster. Surfed the 5’10 both days and could’ve surfed the DJ twin. There would’ve been beatings if I fell but that’s the way it should be. Surfed with Daniel’s friend Jarret on Sunday he was on the same model as my twin. Jarret said it can handle a few feet overhead.

Watched the rewind cam on my first couple surfs on the DJ twin and the boar felt better than I looked surfing it. And to be truthful how I posted about it here.

Surfed the twin yesterday and today at my summer regular and it felt really good. After checking how I looked on the rewind cam I surfed it a lot better. The boar drifts on some turns, most feel fun but a couple I lost all speed.

Boar feels good off the top and the morning guys said it looks like I’m going fast.

On a runner I got to the shoulder with speed and I’m trying not to look at my rail and spray watch so I looked over my shoulder to do a roundhouse. Half way thru the turn the tail drifted and I bogged. Gotta figure the right amount of pressure to keep the boar on rail without drifting the tail.

The boar goes in small waves as long it has a little bit of a pocket. Hoping for some bigger south swells to dial it in.

Here’s the reverse asym tail pad and Veia branded leash string. Haha.

IMG_1746.jpeg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Update on the DJ Rick Cane Twin.

I blew it over the weekend. Surfed the NS but didn’t bring the twin. It was forecasted to be doh. Brought a 5’10 and 6’0 thruster. Surfed the 5’10 both days and could’ve surfed the DJ twin. There would’ve been beatings if I fell but that’s the way it should be. Surfed with Daniel’s friend Jarret on Sunday he was on the same model as my twin. Jarret said it can handle a few feet overhead.

Watched the rewind cam on my first couple surfs on the DJ twin and the boar felt better than I looked surfing it. And to be truthful how I posted about it here.

Surfed the twin yesterday and today at my summer regular and it felt really good. After checking how I looked on the rewind cam I surfed it a lot better. The boar drifts on some turns, most feel fun but a couple I lost all speed.

Boar feels good off the top and the morning guys said it looks like I’m going fast.

On a runner I got to the shoulder with speed and I’m trying not to look at my rail and spray watch so I looked over my shoulder to do a roundhouse. Half way thru the turn the tail drifted and I bogged. Gotta figure the right amount of pressure to keep the boar on rail without drifting the tail.

The boar goes in small waves as long it has a little bit of a pocket. Hoping for some bigger south swells to dial it in.

Here’s the reverse asym tail pad and Veia branded leash string. Haha.

View attachment 154328
Like you said, That tail does look familiar. Pretty sure my Pyzalien2 has similar also.

I’m surprised that the tail is so loose for you with the fins set so far back. Have you tried other fins besides the ENs?
of course, Maybe if you straighten out that tailpad and drop it back 1/2”, the tail would hold through turns better. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and teeroi

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Agree RCP is definitely easy to “tweak” on turns not all of them look good as they may feel.

definitely a board for the pocket as well.

Reactions: teeroi

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Like you said, That tail does look familiar. Pretty sure my Pyzalien2 has similar also.

I’m surprised that the tail is so loose for you with the fins set so far back. Have you tried other fins besides the ENs?
of course, Maybe if you straighten out that tailpad and drop it back 1/2”, the tail would hold through turns better. LOL
I have that set of T1s but the ENs are bigger. I’m surfing the boar better each time. Just have to stop trying to overpower turns like I would on a thruster and engage the rail more effectively.

Reactions: oeste858