Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Glencadam 10 on the way. 1 liter bottle, excellent price. no brainer.

It's been too fucking warm here, I needed a "summer dram" bladly, I think the only one I have that fits the profile is the Arran 10 but the 70c bottle is going too fast and I don't want to be over, too good. I only hear excellent things about the Glencadam 10, looking forward to it. I did need a few more ex-bourbon only drams, I have mostly sherry influenced bottles.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Dudes, I just saw somewhere that you can't ship whisky in the US. Is this for real?!

If so that's kind of a bummer as I was hoping to order a few bottles on my upcoming trip later this year. What's the realzies here?

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Dudes, I just saw somewhere that you can't ship whisky in the US. Is this for real?!

If so that's kind of a bummer as I was hoping to order a few bottles on my upcoming trip later this year. What's the realzies here?
Just set aside some time to do a field trip to Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa.

They have everything.

I highly recommend this one.

Cheers!

• Love
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just set aside some time to do a field trip to Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa.

They have everything.

Cheers!
Holee fark, they have the GlenDronach 15 for 89 dollars...I kinda need it now. Can't find it here for the life of me... the one time I saw it available it was costing the equivalent of $350.

I'm on a mission. Wanna get back home with the GlenDronach 15 and the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel... anything else is a bonus. focus on stuff that are absurdly expensive here in Brazil.

(if I can't find a decent deal on the Balvenie 15 which is the best dram I've ever tasted, I could happily settle for a Tamdhu 15. Both the Tamdhu and the GlenDronach available at this spot. Excellent).

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

They have everything.

Cheers!
This is the kind of recommendation I'm looking for. I always take some time to go to that area when I'm in SoCal and since I'll take my kid to Disneyland I will at the very least be near Orange for a couple of days, such a quick drive to Costa Mesa... Thanks a bunch!

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
This is the kind of recommendation I'm looking for. I always take some time to go to that area when I'm in SoCal and since I'll take my kid to Disneyland I will at the very least be near Orange for a couple of days, such a quick drive to Costa Mesa... Thanks a bunch!
Please let me know when you are coming.

I'll roll out the red carpet for you and your family so if there is anything you need please don't hesitate to let me know. :shaka:

• Love
Reactions: Aruka and brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

I'll roll out the red carpet for you and your family so if there is anything you need please don't hesitate to let me know. :shaka:
Thanks keenfish! didn't get the tickets yet... deciding if I'm going in September or a little later in October or November.

September was always my pick but that's cos I would focus a lot on surfing... Not so much now. And I'm kinda worried about the higher temps in Sept and walking around all day with the kid... also Disney at 100 degrees is not the best time. May be more comfortable going towards November, much cooler, and if I remember well the air is much more clear, good for taking in the views.

oh how I miss being stuck on the 405... good times. Love SoCal.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thanks keenfish! didn't get the tickets yet... deciding if I'm going in September or a little later in October or November.

September was always my pick but that's cos I would focus a lot on surfing... Not so much now. And I'm kinda worried about the higher temps in Sept and walking around all day with the kid... also Disney at 100 degrees is not the best time. May be more comfortable going towards November, much cooler, and if I remember well the air is much more clear, good for taking in the views.

oh how I miss being stuck on the 405... good times. Love SoCal.
@brukuns if you go in November you can hit disneyland on thanksgiving and maybe score low heat and low crowds. We used to go on Thursday "thanksgiving" disneyland and then Knotsberryfarm friday:cheers:

• Love

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Is Disney emptier on Thanksgiving??
I went to visit one of my sisters in Rancho Santa Margarita for Thanksgiving and my wife wanted to go to Disneyland to relive some childhood memories.

Toward the end of the visit, we were able to go on Magic Mountain multiple times with about 3 minute waits, same with Haunted Mansion with 5 minute waits.

We were pretty happy about that....reminded me of going to Cedar Point in late spring the late 70's. We'd exit the roller coaster and sprint around to get back in line and have 1-2 minute waits. That night in bed as i drifted off, could 'feel' the ups and downs all over again.

This would have been the day before or the day after Thanksgiving....Halloween decorations were still up.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
It worked twice when my son was little but that was several years ago he is now 29:computer:
Google says it's one of the busiest days of the year... but checked it and it was about Disneyworld.

I might not go for thanks giving though, probably a little earlier. It will also depend on the price of the tickets, my wild guess is it's gonna be more expensive around thanksgiving because there's probably gonna be many americans living abroad who fly in to visit their relatives.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Google says it's one of the busiest days of the year... but checked it and it was about Disneyworld.

I might not go for thanks giving though, probably a little earlier. It will also depend on the price of the tickets, my wild guess is it's gonna be more expensive around thanksgiving because there's probably gonna be many americans living abroad who fly in to visit their relatives.
Yes only work if you stay long enough and go a least +/-2x weeks before and after Thanksgiving.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
hmmmm... it's here! Lagavulin 16 should be here beween today and tomorrow.

Lovely golden color... can't wait to try this sometime this week, I was needing another "warm weather" dram.

1678911151310.png

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Hmmmm. Good. Never judge a dram by your first glass, but first impression was just a tad bit underwhelming. I heard this was better than the Arran 10... didn't drink 'em side by side but my first impression is that the Arran 10 is considerably better for my taste.

Reminded me of the Glenmorangie 10... albeit on a higher ABV, unchillfiltered and uncolored... also a bit more complex... but not too much. Really spirit driven... young. But it was far from bad... I'm sure I'll come around, I think most of my bottles took some time to understand and really appreciate... this being a 1l bottle I'll have plenty other chances to do just that :ROFLMAO: . It does feel like a warm weather dram, so yay!? Also, the color is extremely light, the lightest colored whisky I have by far. I guess that's expected when they're matured exclusively in ex-bourbon casks (and don't add freaking caramel).

1678934330338.png

Also I don't think I was really in a whisky mood today, but I was anxious to try this. Took me 2 hours to finish this little glass, hahahaha. I'll try it again this weekend, see how it goes. I did add a wee bit of water before I was done, it got really hazy... I like that. Chillfilter my ass MFs.

If I hadn't gotten this I would have bought the Balvenie 16 triple cask today on a ridiculous deal. I almost did anyway... if it wasn't 40%, chill filtered and artificially colored I would probably have bought it anyway. I'm sure it's still good, it's a freaking Balvenie and it's 16 years old. I wish they went for integrity bottling though like they do on their single barrel ones.

I remember trying the Balvenie 12 Single Barrel (ex-bourbon) and wasn't impressed... maybe I'm just way more into sherry and that's it. Arran 10 doesn't detail what casks they used and it's supposedly mostly ex-bourbon, but it does have a hint of sherry, could explain why I liked it better (supposedly, jury won't be out until I try them side by side).

Cheers?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

Good deal today, bought the tickets.

I'll arrive in LA on October 9th at night (that is if I don't miss my tight connection in Bogota). Staying for 2 weeks.

Excited... now I can start looking at hotels or airbnbs and plan sh!t up. last proper vacation was back in 2018 to Canada... it was about fuggen time.

Last edited: