Album Surfboards

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've had both an Ocean Racer and a Plasmic.

They are two entirely different boards and the OR is stringerless in the tail.

The OR is the only board I ever owned that I deeply, deeply regret selling. I think about it often...where is it now? Some guy's garage rarely used? Yellowed and aged? A landfill?

It was the epitome of pure fun.:cry:

0:10 will give you an indication how the OR holds speed:

here @ 1:44

The one thing both the boards share is they're ridden short with very flat fast rockers and minimal rail line so both boards will go "stiff" in some areas when the turn doesn't fit with the rocker.

Just to get another idea of how a small Simmons style board surfs, here is a Deepest Reaches Pizza Box ridden in your area (first board in the clip) which bears some similarity to the OR

The OR is going to be a more versatile board in your neck of the woods.
Plasmic can be pushed to a more "performance level" in better waves.

IMHO the OR feels much better to surf than a mini twin. That stringerless tail just flexes and flows and feels so good in trim.

If you live in California and remove the Asher Pacey marketing from the equation the decision between the two is pretty clear IMHO.
why did u sell the or and plasmic and get a flaming pony?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
why did u sell the or and plasmic and get a flaming pony?
I sold the OR because around that time I started having issues with my hip, and that board really irritated it for some reason.

Plasmic was a gift and I it just felt kinda "eh" about it, conditions around here aren't reliable enough for the kind of wave it wanted and figured I didn't want to be screwing around on a twin during those days.

Flaming Pony was an impulse buy at a steep discount. The board just looked good. It's a true groveler for any style of wave. Probably ridden more the past two years than any other board Perfect for the small fat waves we get in S.Cal and still good when it gets curvy. Easily the best board I've ever ridden for waves waist high or less.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I sold the OR because around that time I started having issues with my hip, and that board really irritated it for some reason.

Plasmic was a gift and I it just felt kinda "eh" about it, conditions around here aren't reliable enough for the kind of wave it wanted and figured I didn't want to be screwing around on a twin during those days.

Flaming Pony was an impulse buy at a steep discount. The board just looked good. It's a true groveler for any style of wave. Probably ridden more the past two years than any other board Perfect for the small fat waves we get in S.Cal and still good when it gets curvy. Easily the best board I've ever ridden for waves waist high or less.
why such a reasonable response?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
You get some time on it? Still really enjoying the ones I have.
Yes. Got it just in time for Presidents’ Day weekend, which was pretty much what I bought it for (waist to stomach, clean, crowded).

initial impression of paddling around - this thing has a lot of foam forward which felt weird and took some getting used to compared to my much shorter albums with similar foil. It was a little awkward initially but not a deal killer or anything, just different enough to mention.

up and riding the thing is a lot of fun and exactly what I was expecting. short-long fish that doesn’t feel too beefy. I’m mixed on the semi keels, which I ran the first two days when the waves were lined up. I switched to the rasta keels for the dribbler leftovers. the Rasta keels felt like they made the most sense in terms do what my feet were feeling and I’ll probably only run semi keel for chest+.

overall I’d say go ahead and order these things around 2” above your height and don’t be afraid to add width, they feel narrower than they are. I *think* i wish I kept a little more thickness for paddle cheat, but if any of that goes into the forward foil, if anything, I’d prefer it to be thinner, lol.

The moonie is 6’3 x 19.75 x 2.44 and my plasmic is 5’5 x 20.25 x 2.45. feels like a decent 2 boar hipster quiv. for NCSD.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Been having some really really good surfs on my insanity in marginal waves.
Medium quad fronts, with small rears like 3.5" and the board is so maneuverable.
The fins are the least canted fins I own.
From waist high to overhead. Really digging it.
The fins are from a guy up the street who's white labeling direct from Futures factory.
Idk what model they are made after.

Best fins I've had in this board:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

The Flaming Pony and Pier Pony have always had an intriguing outline. Smart move to get rid of the Album.

nickpheous

Michael Peterson status
Apr 8, 2008
Huntington Beach
totally agree with oeste. my 5'3 even though it floats just fine, just lacks glide. @rowjimmytour to me both super buzz and this plasmic are shitty paddlers man. super buzz has a thin nose and even though it is wide, it doesn't support too much weight up front. It'll sink because it's thin. at least that's how I feel. also, I am 5'9". my stamps flare is 5'7 and is a great paddler! idk
I'd definitely would have liked to try a longer one, but this 5'3" is t!ts. Maybe I'm not in good enough shape also:beer:
how tall are you @Goofy_Footed
like someone said here, all these boards descriptions, you have to add at the end: "for a pro..."
I picked up a 5'7 DA Plasmic a while back (I'm 5'9 200lbs 51yrs) and while I would have liked something like a shorter, this one has become one of my all time favorite boards. This thing is a rocket ship and make me feel like a kid again. Big ol smile on my face after every session. I keep thinking I might get a shorter/chunkier one for groveling but I hate to mess with a good thing. The extra rail line doesn't hurt to have.