ANYONE SEEN ANY GOOD MOVIES LATELY ?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
controversial opinion: cinema is truly dead

theatrical releases are trash

the output from the streaming bigs is hot garbage

I haven't seen a single good art house flick in a theater or streaming since early 2020

it's like good movies are....DONE

trying to see:

Holy Spider
The Whale
Vesper

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once was fun...original...great great great cast

Fablemans and Babylon....hollywood masturbation as usual....boring

fkkkk...look at Yellowstone...hugely popular show...with plot holes big enough to fly a Boeing through

strange days

I liked it. It was a platonic love story with dudes.
but who cares?

why do I care about this friendship? they did absolutely nothing to get me emotionally invested in it aside from Collin having a funny donkey and being simple. no explanation....honestly, the far-off allusions to the war I felt were something critical to the story which was totally lost on me

cinematography couldn't save it for me....and I wanted to enjoy it. truly.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
dude.....

fight me

fkn hated it. kept asking myself...why should I care about any of this?

totally lost on me...beautiful film, great talent, but loathed it

just re-watched Egger's The Witch. epic. loved The Lighthouse. Northman was fkn terribad.
fck off the northman was good.

still haven't watched the banshees of whereverville. i heard it was sad and i just haven't been in the mood.

agree on the witch and the lighthouse.

• Angry
Reactions: afoaf

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
controversial opinion: cinema is truly dead

theatrical releases are trash

the output from the streaming bigs is hot garbage

I haven't seen a single good art house flick in a theater or streaming since early 2020

it's like good movies are....DONE

trying to see:

Holy Spider
The Whale
Vesper

Fablemans and Babylon....hollywood masturbation as usual....boring

fkkkk...look at Yellowstone...hugely popular show...with plot holes big enough to fly a Boeing through

strange days

but who cares?

why do I care about this friendship? they did absolutely nothing to get me emotionally invested in it aside from Collin having a funny donkey and being simple. no explanation....honestly, the far-off allusions to the war I felt were something critical to the story which was totally lost on me

Nah, cinema isn't dead, your soul maybe though!

I agree that the ratio of bad to good seems to be more and more and weighted towards bad, but there's still good stuff being put to film, even today.

I do think that Banshees is getting way more attention than it deserves. I thought it was good, but I thought White Noise and Triangle of Sadness, also recent releases, were much, much better. I do not think it deserves any kind of award either.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
dude.....

fight me

just re-watched Egger's The Witch. epic. loved The Lighthouse. Northman was fkn terribad.
Honestly, me too...The first hour DRAGGGS and the quirky setting just isn't enough until some fingers start flying.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Watched Jojo Rabbit recently. Blew my mind. Satire, yet heart wrenching, and amazing art direction.

Taika Waititi is a genius

go watch What We Do in the Shadows or, even better, Reservation Dogs

absolutely CRUSHING writing, characters, and story

he has an incredible knack for getting you laughing and then immediately turning the knife in your heart

@Aruka - sir, the Northman was the most formulaic, boring movie ever....not compelling in the least....I like the actors, the director, I went in totally wanting it and by the end I was just like...what was the fkn point of that?

gratuitous nonsense

I turned off White Noise about 30 minutes in

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka went in totally wanting it and by the end I was just like...what was the fkn point of that?
maybe i just went in with no expectations. or rather, i expected it to be total garbage because i had no idea what it was when i randomly clicked on it one night. i don't think it was quite as good as The Witch but comparing it to the crap i usually end up watching when i have no idea what to watch, it was great.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
i loved that flick

the scene with the rocks talking to each other made me laugh so hard i cried

can't figure out why its not more popular with the group of people i would have expected to really dig it

• Love
Reactions: Aruka and afoaf

therarebirdshow

OTF status
Jan 28, 2013
www.amazon.com
but who cares?

[/QUOTE]

imo their relationship was representative of the civil war. Two sides that used to love each other, undone by a bitterness neither they, nor the rest of the people, want. But they're unable to walk away from it.

I personally was more interested in the question of what's the better way to live: to be a good, decent person or to create something that lasts after you're gone. But I thought that got lost in the civil war allegory.

It was a well made movie that I did not like it. Besides a few chuckle-worthy moments of Colin Ferrell trying to puzzle out why they're not friends, it was just so joyless.

Last edited:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
dude.....

fight me

It was a dramatization of existentialist philosophy

Which I love

And the kid delivered one of the best performances I've seen in a while

But yeah... I get that it ain't for everyone

Hated the Northmen, loved The Lighthouse so I hope we are still friends :)

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Could not make it through White Noise

Kinda over Noah Baumbach stuff

Everything Everywhere All at Once was what movies should and can be

And I agree, it's all too rare

And fvck you James Cameron, I'm not sitting through your three and a half hour mash up of Waterworld and Fern Gully

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
There's no such thing as a bad movie with vikings.

And if you go with some semi potent edibles and combine that with a theatre that has a bar, recliners and send the wife out on beer runs, the 3 hour plus Avatar thing is doable.

Bunch of high brow, pseudointellectual wannabe film critics... :cursing:

:dancing:

Last edited: