What's the point of "ChatGPT" ?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yep, ends Sep 2021.

Useless as t!ts on a bull.

Why couldn't they hook it up to the internet and make it useful- what happens if they discover a cure for cancer next week?

This is just a gimmick.

Can a tech bro here pls tell me what I'm missing?
Machine learning in this case involves things like bounded data sets for training as a knowledge base. Most people in the tech space aren't necessarily working using technologies that didn't exist in September 2021.

This thing would be golden as an assistant for someone that spends lots of time on correspondence. You could ask ChatGPT to write an email saying you are looking forward to the engagement with Freeride76 Corp and you'd like to make sure it's a good fit for Sharkbiscuit, LLC.

If you are a writer or post on the erBB too much, maybe you can generate this sort of thing very quickly. Someone like my boss or afoaf, who will obsess too long over this kind of thing, you can delegate it, proofread/edit it slightly, and off you go.

There are probably myriad other uses. Public speaking. Generating sales pitches.

But yes, if you want to know if the rabbitohs are going to beat the wallabies in me footy at Woola Boola Bing Bong next Sunday arvo, you should convince fivethirtyeight to care about your sport, then use what they come up with to bet on it instead.

Last edited:

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Seriously, its been an incredible help in updating my resume. I’ve been feeding in one bullet point at a time, and it gives me back the same thing I was saying, only better.
its not like I’m faking my resume, it’s just making it a little more readable

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Seriously, its been a in incredible help in updating my resume. I’ve been feeding in one bullet point at a time, and it gives me back the same thing I was saying, only better.
its not like I’m faking my resume, it’s just making it a little more readable
I think it could be a great revision tool.

It could write your shitty first drafts or do your polishing.

The issue is kids cheating.

But that was always an issue.

Cheaters going to cheat.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I think it could be a great revision tool.

It could write your shitty first drafts or do your polishing.

The issue is kids cheating.

But that was always an issue.

Cheaters going to cheat.
the lines for “Cheating“ may just be getting blurry
decades ago we were told we wouldn’t have a calculator with us all the time. That turned out to be false
going forward, we’ll have even more resources available
using resources wisely is smart
sometimes it’s cheating, sometimes it’s not
im not saying writing skills or math skills are useless, but augmenting with some help makes sense

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
decades ago we were told we wouldn’t have a calculator with us all the time. That turned out to be false
im not saying writing skills or math skills are useless, but augmenting with some help makes sense
So you didn't smelt ore, forge mining and woodworking tools, mine graphite and tool wood to fashion a pencil? You just cheat and buy a No. 2 pencil for grade shool?

• Love
Reactions: Mr Doof

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It will be a great tool.

I'm writing something and I needed to describe a bus ride across Maui. I was going to make the AI do it but I couldn't log on.

That will be my shitty first draft.

The real cheating happens when the kid feeds the AI a prompt and it spits out the essay.

In the past you would have to pay someone in India to do this.

The solution is in class writing.

I do mostly this cuz I don't lecture good.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
So she was trouble from the start.

Some smart kids really have a hard time in college, old people telling what to do.
She never really liked being told what to do, but would work hard at accomplishing what she wanted

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Gen Z'er: what the fck is a pencil?
Lapiz pencil
pluma pen
pollito chicken
gallina hen

Rhyme taught in the kinder.

Pencils are handy for writing measurements on wood and other manly stuff like that.

Reactions: Aruka

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Why do I need to interact with a bot instead of just looking at Wikipedia or some other source?

Why are people acting like ChatGPT is Jesus?

This kind of question reminds me of a grandparent wonderingly complaining about kids and why they don't use the card catalog and the Dewey Decimal System at the library and just ask the librarian for help.

I think in ten years or so it's going to be good enough to replace human writers for a lot of applications. There are already sportswriting bots that can write game summaries and stuff like that, the kind of thing that used to be entry-level journalism jobs. This just takes it to the next level.
1673975075278.png

My daughter wrote papers for friends in high school and college
she did not live in India
In my dotage, may need a second job if the 401k doesn't supplement my trash can aluminum can scavenging....how much did she charge for Bs?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This kind of question reminds me of a grandparent wonderingly complaining about kids and why they don't use the card catalog and the Dewey Decimal System at the library and just ask the librarian for help.
It’s not an equivalent comparison.

First, when you’re researching a topic you often learn other stuff along the way. I think there’s a lot of value in that vs this sort of narrow “just give me than answer” approach.

Second, how far are we willing to go? For instance, my wife can’t even seem to get around the city she lives in without using Google maps… how far are we going to go in utilizing technology as a crutch for even the most basic of mental tasks? Do you think this sort of thing is healthy in terms building and maintaining your brain?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It’s not an equivalent comparison.

First, when you’re researching a topic you often learn other stuff along the way. I think there’s a lot of value in that vs this sort of narrow “just give me than answer” approach.

Second, how far are we willing to go? For instance, my wife can’t even seem to get around the city she lives in without using Google maps… how far are we going to go in utilizing technology as a crutch for even the most basic of mental tasks? Do you think this sort of thing is healthy in terms of brain development?
It's healthy in terms of cutting labor costs, so you can bank on it coming sooner rather than later.

Reactions: kawika and Aruka