So how big's it gonna get Wed/Thurs/Fri on west coast?

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Always wanted to but felt dred looking at it, then read this and confirmed why not to.

thelifeofalatch-keysurfrat.blogspot.com/2011/10/life-and-near-death-at-little-makaha.html
Surfed it at size - once got washed all the way around PB point after getting nailed, never rode a wave that day. There's a right on the other side of the cove that I think is the better wave.

I'd bet the story from the blog is repeated every time it breaks at size. You get phucking wrecked out there, and if you live in SD you don't surf (relatively) gigantic waves often enough to be in shape for that kind of ass kicking.

Last edited:

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Surfed it at size - once got washed all the way around PB point after getting nailed, never rode a wave that day. There's a right on the other side of the cove that I think is the better wave.

I'd bet the story from the blog is repeated every time it breaks at size. You get phucking wrecked out there, and if you live in SD you don't surf (relatively) gigantic waves often enough to be in shape for that kind of ass kicking.
I've surfed it several times between 3-4x OH. Only place in S.D. I've had to climb my leash. There seem to be these fingers of reef extending out and south. Once the wave breaks on the ridge it pushes into deep water so you get shoved down pretty deep. There are some massive barrels to be had but actually hunting one down and not getting mopped up is really...really difficult. Which is why its never crowded.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Surfline is mostly down, a bunch of error messages lol
LOL. I was just about to mention that. Seems like the upper half of Newport is completely out (convenient time for the locals). There some sort of collusion going on here? Isn't Surfline headquarters in Huntington Beach? Wouldn't surprise me if they've all commuted southward and turned off some cams to keep the crowds down. There's been issues like this before during good swells.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
LOL. I was just about to mention that. Seems like the upper half of Newport is completely out (convenient time for the locals). There some sort of collusion going on here? Isn't Surfline headquarters in Huntington Beach? Wouldn't surprise me if they've all commuted southward and turned off some cams to keep the crowds down. There's been issues like this before during good swells.
It's much simpler than that. Surfline has cut way back on staff. They also cut way back on free live streaming to lower their webhosting costs.

With this big swell, everyone was hitting the cams yesterday. I was on surfline more yesterday than I have been the entire past year. Overloaded their webhosting and things started going down.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
It's much simpler than that. Surfline has cut way back on staff. They also cut way back on free live streaming to lower their webhosting costs.

With this big swell, everyone was hitting the cams yesterday. I was on surfline more yesterday than I have been the entire past year. Overloaded their webhosting and things started going down.
Enough with the financial fluff. The conspiracy story is more interesting.

That being said...I'm home sick and have doing the same thing. More time spent on Surfline in the last 2 days than the last 2 years.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Highly doubtful that was today - I was "in the area" both morning and afternoon and got a few sessions in. There was a period of blue sky but very short lived and the south wind was intense for much of the day

Also, the the level of consistency was mind boggling; while there were a few lulls the sets just kept pumping through. Very un-Californialike. Very challenging conditions when up and riding too.
Sorry about that, saw the article and hotlinked the image Provided source link.