Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
http://instagr.am/p/B8UspHogm7u/
Some stock and some custom... all meant for big powerful waves!
Quiver for Ezra...

I haven't even got to Timmy's page yet either. Most of his boards are all stock too. He rarely gets customs from Firewire.

Also, the customs are usually models that are being developed tweeked. Because Firewire has to create a mold for a surfboard, they dont build those until the model has been fully developed and ready for manufacturing. If they needed to build a prototype in their iBolic, Helium or LFT tech it would be very costly... (because its a complicated build) so they make custom versions until they the model is fully developed.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@npsp I’m not some sort of lobbyist… its just hard for me to sit back and listen to the bullcrap spewed about Firewire when their boards are more superior than a lot of the standard POLY and Epoxy builds.

@freeride76 LFT was a weak build in my opinion as well, but the FST builds before it were super solid. I have a dominator in FST that is going on 6 years old and has no heel dents... and still its yellow, but not more yellow than a 6 year old XTR board I have. I guarantee that you would have less heal dents on the deck of a Firewire board than you would on the deck of a standard 4x4 POLY? Would you agree?

@casa_mugrienta Its an opinion. I even stated in the post that there is no data to back it up – its just my anecdotal personal opinion based on my personal experience. Its definitely not “baseless” though.

I own 10 board, but don’t rotate them all. I’ve been riding the Firewire Revo pretty much exclusively since May – so about 7 months straight. The Revo has been to El Salvador and dropped on the rocks at K59, washed up on the rocks and Puntas Rocas, made it through the airport twice, made it through scorching heat from the El Salvador sun, and been surfed a bunch at oceanside. It has 2 dings on the deck (one from my knee and the other from a speaker that I dropped on the deck) and some pressure dents. Other than that is solid and still bright white! I doubt a poly board or epoxy would be the same.

I don’t see how you can say, with a straight face, that their construction is not “high tech”. You would certainly have to concede that its an expensive build. That is the sole reason Firewire almost went bankruptcy when Bert was involved because they were so expensive to build. Firewire has been improving and improving and improving to a point now that they have an incredible product that in my opinion is superior than any standard EPOXY and POLY with a wooden stringer.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Its almost getting to the point where its not worth arguing about. The facts are what they are and they're there for all to see. To each his own.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
And those are usually an LFT EPS blank that has been cut and provided by Firewire to Pure Glass for glassing. Its just not vaccume bagged with the deckskin, etc. But once it becomes a final model and they make the molds it will be manufactured like all the other stocks boards.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Its almost getting to the point where its not worth arguing about. The facts are what they are and they're there for all to see. To each his own.
Consider for a moment that FW is some sort of cultish religious experience for you, and because of your lack of experience outside this cult your perception may be tweaked.

Also - and be honest here - are you curently...or have you in the past... received any perks from FW or Tomo?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
He ordered those boards to fit waves in Tahiti. Nothing to do with prototype. To justify why you can't get one, you can call it that.
I'd ask who told you that, but it seems you don't like to give up that kind of information.

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site
But once it becomes a final model and they make the molds it will be manufactured like all the other stocks boards.
"A pop-out surfboard is in essence, the cheapest way for a company to produce a large quantity of identical shapes. The technique of molding a surfboard completely eliminates any semblance of originality or craftsmanship, removing the process’ of unique designing, shaping, and glassing. The sacrifice of craftsmanship for greater board quantities also eliminates many of the performance aspects of the surfboard that benefit the development of the rider. "

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Consider for a moment that FW is some sort of cultish religious experience for you, and because of your lack of experience outside this cult your perception may be tweaked.

Also - and be honest here - are you curently...or have you in the past... received any perks from FW or Tomo?
Consider for a moment that after trying multiple other surfboard constructions, the one that felt the best was Firewire. So that is what I stuck with?

I can honestly say that Tomo has never discounted a board for me. Which is sort of shocking, but he is a professional and excellent at what he does, so I would never expect him to discount his work for me or anyone. He did surprise me and brought me my 1st custom ordered board from AUS... which saved me on shipping. Which was extremely kind.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia

The funny thing is Casa one could use the cornerstone of your comment, "some sort of cultish religious experience" for those arguing the other side.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
"A pop-out surfboard is in essence, the cheapest way for a company to produce a large quantity of identical shapes. The technique of molding a surfboard completely eliminates any semblance of originality or craftsmanship, removing the process’ of unique designing, shaping, and glassing. The sacrifice of craftsmanship for greater board quantities also eliminates many of the performance aspects of the surfboard that benefit the development of the rider. "
That is a skewed point of view. I take the position that eliminating the process of handshaping gives you an almost identical shape every single time that is without flaw and true to the original design in its highest form.

• Haha

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
http://instagr.am/p/CGVYuIjAx9c/
STOCK SCIFI 2.0! Courtesy of Ezra Sitt.
@ReForest not one of your videos shows fireturd tech used in critical surf and at best you showed a one turn wave at rocky rights that any board would work at with a pro archer at the wheel. Again if turd tech was so state of art why do you not see ibolic turd tech out at pipeline, chopes, skeleton bay, etc:foreheadslap:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest not one of your videos shows fireturd tech used in critical surf and at best you showed a one turn wave at rocky rights that any board would work at with a pro archer at the wheel. Again if turd tech was so state of art why do you not see ibolic turd tech out at pipeline, chopes, skeleton bay, etc:foreheadslap:
The stigma of having a hawaiian shaper shape a board for pipe is probably why you dont see more versatility in boards at pipe. As for chopes and skeleton bay, i'm sure the boards are more diverse and you'll see other shapes, but not many surfers can surf those kinds of waves. The same argument could be made for other brands. Do you see many Channel Island boards out at Pipe? Or JS or Hayden?

• Haha