Legendary surfer/shaper reviews Firewire Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The funny thing is Casa one could use the cornerstone of your comment, "some sort of cultish religious experience" for those arguing the other side.
Are you kidding?

Other than deforest, who here has been repeatedly proselytizing for years, at length, the virtue of a specific surfboard product and even essentially dedicating an instagram account to this specific surfboard product where more proselytizing is done?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
That combined with obvious OCD...'if I'd ordered it 1/8" narrower it would have been better/perfect' and buying addictions...just look at the ridiculous numbers of boards some of the forum members own and the enabling for each other of their addictive behaviour.
This is an observation but those who are consumed by it are no less likely to admit that than the average junkie/addict.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The stigma of having a hawaiian shaper shape a board for pipe is probably why you dont see more versatility in boards at pipe. As for chopes and skeleton bay, i'm sure the boards are more diverse and you'll see other shapes, but not many surfers can surf those kinds of waves. The same argument could be made for other brands. Do you see many Channel Island boards out at Pipe? Or JS or Hayden?
Yes plenty of CI out in XXXL surf by pros and normal joes and other brands do not state high tech or try and sale turd oil:shrug:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Correct. All these people like @surfwhere and @casa_mugrienta that are so stuck on handmade craftsmanship could more easily be assigned as "cultish" than me.
Entirely false.

As I've posted here numerous times, one of my favorite boards is an epoxy JS that was made in Thailand. This too was purchased at an extreme discount, however, the glasswork is impeccable (I am shocked it was glassed and finished by a human) and the durability has been excellent for the waves it was meant for (stomach high to ankle).

Reactions: ReForest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Are you kidding?

Other than deforest, who here has been repeatedly proselytizing for years, at length, the virtue of a specific surfboard product and even essentially dedicating an instagram account to this specific surfboard product where more proselytizing is done?
Maybe one day you will step back enough from surfing to understand.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Are you kidding?

For 1, its not a specific surfboard product... its a brand. I've had Tomo boards in POLY, EPS, XTR and Firewire tech. So that is incorrect. For 2, my account isnt really dedicated to anything other than what i enjoy which is surfing and family.

Honestly, it just boils down to preference... and I prefer the technology that Firewire has to offer.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Consider for a moment that after trying multiple other surfboard constructions, the one that felt the best was Firewire. So that is what I stuck with?
Assuming this was many years back, I would say at your skill level at the time you were "trying multiple other surfboard constructions" you didn't have clue what was actually functional because like everyone else at that stage you were still trying to figure out the basics of lower intermediate level surfing and also prone to marketing.

I can honestly say that Tomo has never discounted a board for me. Which is sort of shocking, but he is a professional and excellent at what he does, so I would never expect him to discount his work for me or anyone. He did surprise me and brought me my 1st custom ordered board from AUS... which saved me on shipping. Which was extremely kind.
That's retarded Tomo never hooked you up after tons of free advertising you did.

I'm asking again - and be honest - has FW ever given you any perks?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
That combined with obvious OCD...'if I'd ordered it 1/8" narrower it would have been better/perfect' and buying addictions...just look at the ridiculous numbers of boards some of the forum members own and the enabling for each other of their addictive behaviour.
This is an observation but those who are consumed by it are no less likely to admit that than the average junkie/addict.
I 100% agree here.

The amount of boards and fins you see some posters consuming is incredibly mind boggling.

As a guy who surfs 4 days/week if there's surf, and coming from an area that has rideable (often decent but often marginal) surf and cooperative wind on the regular...

...there is no f*cking way I would EVER have the chance to give so many of those boards a decent REAL run, and ever more confusing would be the constant rotation of fins.

The funny thing is some of these guys live in areas where it's flat or blown out more often then not. :crazy2:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Assuming this was many years back, I would say at your skill level at the time you were "trying multiple other surfboard constructions" you didn't have clue what was actually functional because like everyone else at that stage you were still trying to figure out the basics of lower intermediate level surfing and also prone to marketing.

That's retarded Tomo never hooked you up after tons of free advertising you did.

I'm asking again - and be honest - has FW ever given you any perks?
Firewire has... Chris Grow asked me at a demo if Firewire had ever hooked me up and when I said no, he gave me a generous discount on my next board order.

Again, they are a business trying to make money like everyone else, and I'm not trying to promote or be some sort of influencer to get free product. I just genuinely like their products over other brands on the market.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
[

@freeride76 LFT was a weak build in my opinion as well, but the FST builds before it were super solid. I have a dominator in FST that is going on 6 years old and has no heel dents... and still its yellow, but not more yellow than a 6 year old XTR board I have. I guarantee that you would have less heal dents on the deck of a Firewire board than you would on the deck of a standard 4x4 POLY? Would you agree?
I've only owned one FW- a stock Cymatic in LFT.

rode it hard for 6-8ths, including a trip to Indo.

It was pretty trashed and yellow by then, fin box ripped out on the rocks here, expensive repair.

After that I handed it over to a mate for $50.

tbh, it wasn't far off being ready for landfill.

by contrast, a stock Pyzel Ghost is still going strong.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
I thought this was a safe space :cry:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
[

And the majority of boards at Lowers vs the majority of boards at Rincon?
Lowers has a lot of Firewires. Dont surf Rincon, but the Duffman says not that many. I have a friend that surfs Rincon regularly and he has more Tomo's than me. I just recently helped him get a Revo so I know for a fact there is at least 1 Firewire at Rincon.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Except you haven't really tried any other brands, except supposedly when you were still learning how to be a proficient surfer.
Tried a T-Patterson Italo Pool Party. Channel Islands Twin Fin and a few local guys shapes. I know I need to try other brands, but seriously how different could a Tomo Poly be from a channel Islands Poly. Or a Tomo EPS from a JS EPS? The tech is what i like from Firewire. Also the consistent shapes.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour