How Not to Park Your Boat

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Neil Young had a sweet 103' Baltic Schooner for decades, during the 70's it was tied up periodically for a week or two at PIllar Point Harbor in HMB, got to spend some time aboard it, skipper was a surfing acquantance...friggin awesome boat. Neil would come cruising onto the pier in a full on lead sled chopped 50s' Mercury coupe just dripping chrome and attitude, a smoking hottie riding shotgun...style for miles..
Crosby also had a wooden hull schooner in Santa Barbara and I spent a little time on it same way (skipper acquaintanc). Seems they had some common expensive hobbies. It was pretty classic but that one looks even nicer.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
It happens frequently here. People inexperienced with the local reefs, or just get dragged off course severely due to storms and cannot handle getting the boat to safe harbor.

This one happened on the leeward side, just last 31st of August.

The one in the pics above was being one man navigated in some round the world race, and clearly went off course. Guy's ok, his boat is toast.

:waving::shaka:

I surfed the left just outside the boat last weekend. It runs right into the boat on low tide. Local search and rescue were able to drain almost 300 liters of diesel from her safely.

• Wow
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
That is a nice rig. Damn shame.

But Skully finds it humorous.

Not that he has ever owned a boat, knows how to operate or boat, or ever will.
It’s funny you say that. Just parked a boat for the first time in years about 45min ago in a stiff breeze.

Currently in Rhode Island spending some time with my mother and attending an old friends wedding. He was kind enough to lend me his old 13’ whaler that we used to do all kinds of dumb sh!t in as kids. He ripped out the steering console and put in a tiller steered 40hp Yamaha. I had never driven a tiller with so much power, thing will do +40mph if you have some weight up front to keep the bow down. Fun times but my mother and gf were a bit freaked out and made me slow down. With that much power and a tiller you can’t let go of the tiller or you’ll be in a drink in an instant, so they weren’t wrong. Docking wasn’t exactly pretty for the first time in years but I still remember how to do it. When I was a kid I had a 17’ Whaler Newport just like this…

C75D1E07-F913-4C3A-915C-E60F670F9B60.jpeg

ours was an older one trimmed out in teak with a 90hp Johnson. We used to cruise out to block island with no radio (before cell phones) and low visibility. Sometimes coming back after dark with no running lights. Lots of dumb sh!t I shouldn’t have survived and would never attempt now that I understand consequences. I know boats fairly well, but I don’t know sh!t about sailing. Sailed in one regatta and I was pretty much ballast, just did my best to stay out of the way and not get knocked overboard.

Reactions: john4surf

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Back to the same reef today, but at lower tide... snapped these after...

20220920_145811.jpg
20220920_145926.jpg
20220920_145913.jpg
20220920_150018.jpg

Looks like #56 will not be finishing the race this year... American flag on the stern.

FL 3983 BY

Looks like we need a flotational no parking sign installed?

:drowning::shrug::waving::shaka:

Reactions: keenfish

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Not really abandoned, the guy ran aground in a storm. The local authorities were all over it immediately, now they are awaiting the insurance companies decision whether to rescue and refloat it, or leave it to be salvaged.

If that's the case, surely it will be stripped in no time at all... just like the American Star was...

16183140f3bd8a9f57abb38ce8378b14.jpg
8eac13bf37116843fef5ea3deecf6e61.jpg

It's now just a reef people surf in summer.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Not really abandoned, the guy ran aground in a storm. The local authorities were all over it immediately, now they are awaiting the insurance companies decision whether to rescue and refloat it, or leave it to be salvaged.

If that's the case, surely it will be stripped in no time at all... just like the American Star was...

View attachment 138221
View attachment 138222

It's now just a reef people surf in summer.
Pics of people surfing next to wrecks are a trip. I’d love to have done that once.

Id also have at least climbed aboard that sailboat and snooped around for the erBB.
All the good stuff (electronics, power winches, etc) is gone after the first real dark night. Real nice binnacle mount compasses go for more than a g.

Last edited: