Electric vehicle fuel

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You're being dishonest here. He said no battery powered trains not electric. There are a lot of electric trains operating in the US.
The Diesel Electric locomotive is the back bone of the transport of goods and materials across the US. Our economy would collapse without them.
Dishonest isn't the right word. I see miles of train cars with solar

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You're being dishonest here. He said no battery powered trains not electric. There are a lot of electric trains operating in the US.
The Diesel Electric locomotive is the back bone of the transport of goods and materials across the US. Our economy would collapse without them.
So those were diesel locomotives?

How are they electric then?

Electrified rail is currently used on less than 1 percent of U.S. railroad tracks.

Why is that?

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
They are called Diesel Electric Locomotives. They use big diesel generators to power big electric traction motors connected to the drive wheels. It is a form a of hybrid technology.
I get it, the electric motors provide the power but they're powered by a diesel engine and depend on it.

I wouldn't exactly call a hybrid, since it can't run without diesel.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I drove my brother in law's Tesla around and I would take that over any comparable ICE car around, even the Lexus he used to drive. It's just a better car. He charges it at midnight and says it costs him about $60 / mo. in extra electricity. My 2014 Lezbaru seems like an antique after driving in that thing.
I’d love to get one.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
This is the reality of EV's.

It's weird conservatives are so against them.

I thought they had a chance when Elon was their hero, but that seems to have passed.
You keep saying this.

the reality is that only a few kooks are “against them”.

I’m not a ”conservative” but you probably lump me in with them…my point on EVs is that if we really want a cleaner over all planet we need to utilize nuclear power as a significant source of electricity to charge all these electric vehicles.

Right now there is no difference (in reality) in “carbon footprint” between an EV and an ICE car over it’s lifetime.

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. If I just drive that for the rest of my life, from this point forward it will be “cleaner” than if a buy a new EV.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I drove my brother in law's Tesla around and I would take that over any comparable ICE car around, even the Lexus he used to drive. It's just a better car. He charges it at midnight and says it costs him about $60 / mo. in extra electricity. My 2014 Lezbaru seems like an antique after driving in that thing.
If you drove an equivalent 2022 Lezbaru you’d feel the same thing

Cars have been advancing a lot

Drive a real Tesla equivalent like a BMW and your mind would be blown

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Bro, that $120,000 Tesla is way nicer 2004 Tacoma that’s worth around $5k.

Why are you against electric cars?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
You keep saying this.

the reality is that only a few kooks are “against them”.

I’m not a ”conservative” but you probably lump me in with them…my point on EVs is that if we really want a cleaner over all planet we need to utilize nuclear power as a significant source of electricity to charge all these electric vehicles.

Right now there is no difference (in reality) in “carbon footprint” between an EV and an ICE car over it’s lifetime.

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma. If I just drive that for the rest of my life, from this point forward it will be “cleaner” than if a buy a new EV.
That's not correct at all. EV's are far less impactful from a carbon footprint standpoint. I've posted link after link showing this, including in this thread.

And I doubt that EV's are the end-game for cars. Nuclear would be great, but it's not realistic at the moment. I'm all for nuclear energy and think we should be moving that way too.

As for your 2004 Tacoma, yes, you're better off from a footprint point of view not buying a new car. And nobody is saying you need to buy a new car. Not even in 2035 will you need to buy a new EV. And more power to you if you can make your Tacoma last 30 years.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016

How many Teslas have you driven recently? BMW's are great, but they're not blowing anybody's mind.

Reactions: john4surf

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I get it, the electric motors provide the power but they're powered by a diesel engine and depend on it.

I wouldn't exactly call a hybrid, since it can't run without diesel.
How far can a Prius go on just battery power before the ICE kicks in? Every hybrid automobile depends on their ICE to have any usable range. Plug-In hybrids have an extended range but still rely on their ICE for any extended range driving.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
So those were diesel locomotives?

How are they electric then?

Electrified rail is currently used on less than 1 percent of U.S. railroad tracks.

Why is that?
That figure doesn't include commuter trains. The majority of light rail systems in the US run on electricity. Ever ride the MTS Trolley in San Diego, BART in SF, the Metro in DC, MARTA in Atlanta, etc....?

If you have to ask why freight rail is not electrified in the US, you clearly aren't qualified to engage in this conversation.

You pick strange hills to die on...:poke:

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
How many Teslas have you driven recently? BMW's are great, but they're not blowing anybody's mind.
Driven a Model 3 and whatever the big one is. It was the trim under the Plaid, Dual Motor or some sh!t

Unimpressed. The instant torque is impressive to people who've never driven high horsepower, high torque cars. The computer nonsense, from the phone-connected keyless entry to the self-driving is simply laptop class bugman toys. They would be a fine commuter car, but so is a Camry or a Civic

Anyone who drives a 2014 Subie would have their minds blown by even a 2 Series BMW from the current model year

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
That figure doesn't include commuter trains. The majority of light rail systems in the US run on electricity. Ever ride the MTS Trolley in San Diego, BART in SF, the Metro in DC, MARTA in Atlanta, etc....?

If you have to ask why freight rail is not electrified in the US, you clearly aren't qualified to engage in this conversation.

You pick strange hills to die on...:poke:
I'm not willing to die on this hill but electric powered trains are a joke in the US.

I'm glad you brought up commuter trains in San Diego because only city trollies are electric.

Esco to Oceanside is diesel and so is every commuter train running north-south. :poke:

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Driven a Model 3 and whatever the big one is. It was the trim under the Plaid, Dual Motor or some sh!t

Unimpressed. The instant torque is impressive to people who've never driven high horsepower, high torque cars. The computer nonsense, from the phone-connected keyless entry to the self-driving is simply laptop class bugman toys. They would be a fine commuter car, but so is a Camry or a Civic

Anyone who drives a 2014 Subie would have their minds blown by even a 2 Series BMW from the current model year
LOL so wrong.

My 911 was super fun to drive but there's no comparison to amount of torque of any Tesla at any speed and acceleration of even a basic dual motor Tesla.

No BMW can do 0-60 in 2 seconds, and can run the same acceleration rate starting at ANY speed.

You are out of your mind.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I'm not willing to die on this hill but electric powered trains are a joke in the US.

I'm glad you brought up commuter trains in San Diego because only city trollies are electric.

Esco to Oceanside is diesel and so is every commuter train running north-south. :poke:
*diesel-electric

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
How far can a Prius go on just battery power before the ICE kicks in? Every hybrid automobile depends on their ICE to have any usable range. Plug-In hybrids have an extended range but still rely on their ICE for any extended range driving.
Well okay sure, but they're definitely not electric like Lance claimed.