If you had one concert to back in time to...

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
In the 70s they had some big shows at the old Balboa Staduim. I recall tickets were around 8 bucks (about $42 in 2022 dollars), open seating.

Chicago, Santana, and Honk.
Faces w/Rod Stewart, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Fleetwood Mac, and Loggins and Messina.
Beach Boys and Jesse Colin Young (good date show).
Eagles, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt.
Allman Bros, Outlaws, Marshall Tucker.

One instance where the good old days were pretty good.
No Pablo Cruise???

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
How was Tom Petty live?

He didn’t die til I was almost 40 but I didn’t get into him past the radio staples til a couple years before he died. Guess I had to mature into him and the Heartbreakers

The concerts I’ve watched on YouTube and live cuts I’ve heard are awesome
Almost forgot the 20 night run Petty did as the house band at the Fillmore.

EPIC

Was backstage for 15, out front for 5.

:bowdown::jamon::bowdown:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
All 4 nights. Just once more, please.

View attachment 131304
About 10-12 yrs ago, at Great American Music Hall a local band/collective (Chuck Prophet?) did London Calling and The Specials (?)....both albums in full I think. It was a lot of fun, but the silly youngest parts of me was laughing at all the old people thinking they were appreciating the music when they were just trying to reclaim their youth. Thankfully another beer got him to shut the f up.

Edit:

Yep, it was Chuck Prophet and the Spanish Bombs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
About 5 yrs ago, at Great American Music Hall a local band/collective did London Calling and I Just Can't Stop It....both albums in full. It was a lot of fun, but the silly youngest parts of me was laughing at all the old people thinking they were appreciating it when they were just trying to reclaim their youth. Thankfully another beer got him to shut the f up.
Beer(s) can be helpful :cheers:

Reactions: Mr Doof

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
How was Tom Petty live?

He didn’t die til I was almost 40 but I didn’t get into him past the radio staples til a couple years before he died. Guess I had to mature into him and the Heartbreakers

The concerts I’ve watched on YouTube and live cuts I’ve heard are awesome
Saw Tom Petty and Taj Mahal live at Hollywood Bowl in mid-90s. Great show. Only damper was getting my fake ID pinched getting beer on the way there. Minor in grand scheme of things.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Enjoy! I've seen Santana multiple times and he always puts on an incredible show. Seeing him at Mott Gym during Poly Royal was one of my favriots. General admission, we were 10-15 feet from the stage! Epic night until the rioting broke out later after the concert.

Best Santana show I ever saw was around '91 free show at Golden Gate Park sponsored by Ben &Jerrys Ice cream:cheers:

Reactions: Joshua2415

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
About 10-12 yrs ago, at Great American Music Hall a local band/collective (Chuck Prophet?) did London Calling and The Specials (?)....both albums in full I think. It was a lot of fun, but the silly youngest parts of me was laughing at all the old people thinking they were appreciating the music when they were just trying to reclaim their youth. Thankfully another beer got him to shut the f up.

Edit:

Yep, it was Chuck Prophet and the Spanish Bombs.
Saw great acoustic show Chuck Prophet and Alejandro Escovedo at the Lobero Theater fun night...

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I mean, fook, it can't hang with the concerts you guys above have been naming but Guns and Roses/Metallica at Coliseum in 1989 would have been golden. Only 12 so no way to go but I would have been all over that sh!t. Yeah, in LA but up in boonies, not like there was a bus anywhere close by so on long lockdown. Made up for it in a small way I suppose.

One that always burned was missing Jane's Addiction play in their true heyday. But they are still on tour (pending Dave Navarro's covid health) and scored insane tickets for the wifey and I in November, and been really psyched about that.

I don't know why actually but I have lagged on concert scene. Easy excuse when I was <18 since access was a major issue but after that, sure many fun bar bands, some cool arena shows, and definitely the Tabularasa shows at Casa de Groovn and at La Fonda, but I could have seen more. Meh. When you get down to it, was hard to beat those Tabularasa shows - so much fucking fun.
i recall certain degrees of bloodshed at a bad religion concert. as well as a flaming leather jacket smacking you in the face to absolutely no effect at iron maiden. you've had a lion's share.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I went to Chris Issack with hunnybunny at Santa Barbara Bowl back around 2003.
She had tix but no one to go with so she floated it out here on the erBB.
I took her up on it so this was a blind meet up that turned out pretty awesome.
Picked her up in L.A. and then we went to Casa Blancas on lower State Street for a warm up.
Then had dinner at Paradise Cafe on Anacapa which was great. We had Mojitos.

Then off to the show.
It was a great venue and concert and an awesome night.
Got my camera confiscated by security for this selfie.

Then collected my camera on the way out and stopped for some coffee at Peabody's in Montecito before hitting the road home to L.A. and then to O.C.
I was a gentleman. :shameonyou:
One of those nights and experiences that you never forget for so many reasons.
Love and miss you hunnybunny!
keenfish looking the sexiness!!!

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
i recall certain degrees of bloodshed at a bad religion concert. as well as a flaming leather jacket smacking you in the face to absolutely no effect at iron maiden. you've had a lion's share.
I have no memory of this flaming leather jacket.

I do remember a brawl starting up on the lawn area at one Maiden show or another, which was quickly defused by two girls sitting up on the railing flashing their t!ts back to the crowd. Fists went down, phones came out. :roflmao:

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I have no memory of this flaming leather jacket.

I do remember a brawl starting up on the lawn area at one Maiden show or another, which was quickly defused by two girls sitting up on the railing flashing their t!ts back to the crowd. Fists went down, phones came out. :roflmao:
wait...was that the gig that one chick provided more than awesome degree of bump and grind after telling me she batted for the other team?

and p.s. side note
why do women complain about mild drinking...then make shat horrible enough at home that you have to leave to a bar, then get mad at you for going to the bar? am i missing something?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
wait...was that the gig that one chick provided more than awesome degree of bump and grind after telling me she batted for the other team?

and p.s. side note
why do women complain about mild drinking...then make shat horrible enough at home that you have to leave to a bar, then get mad at you for going to the bar? am i missing something?
I think? Glen Helen?

"mild" does seem to be in the eye of the beholder, doesn't it? :roflmao:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Junior high ('83-'84(?) my friend won tickets to see BOC at a small SB venue "forget name near the railroad tracks" but blue oyster cult could not play under name so they called themself The Soft White Underbellies. Went to mens room to smoke bowl and bouncer comes in I pass pipe to buddy and rest split out door. Turns out my friend got kicked out and had to wait outside I was high as fuk off Tai sticks...
Surprised this has not been mentioned yet...

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Good gawd Mr. Keen!
Casa Blanca, Peabody's, Paradise!
Casa Blanca after 2am for after hours beers after getting off from the Enterprise.
Peabody's for 2 for 1 cocktails on Friday afternoon.
Paradise for Bloody Mary's before getting on the Enterprise Dodger Bus.
Paradise is now once again called the La Paloma.
Casa Blanca is long gone, Peabody's is now a sheshe way too expensive bar/eatery.
BTW, I saw SRV at the Savoy Theater after a concert at the Bowl where he showed up and played a few songs....
I had front-row lawn seats where he literally brought me to tears.
Three weeks later, he died in a helicopter crash :(
Yessir!
That was my stomping ground back in the early 80's.
Westmont College '81-'84.
You worked at Enterprise? Nice!
At least The Bottle Shop is still there even if it is run by Russians now.
Saw The Motels and Missing Persons at the Arlington which was a great little venue.
Also caught Oingo Boing and The Tubes at UCSB.
Good times! :cheers: