Tomo MPH

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
This is very similar to what I liked in my quads. Rakier front fin, upright rears. Never tried this particular Von Sol set-up (Hornet Honey Comb) but it looks very close to the templates I would use, minus the nubster.

Also, not sure what the foil is like on these, but I only liked flat foiled all around.

1654865122378.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
bit of a tangent but I always thought the preferred quad setups are equal rake or upright in front and rake in the rear.

raked fronts and upright rears seems off to me. I never liked “split keels” - all drive no pivot.

Reactions: j_mac

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
crazy. In my head I don't agree with this but I wouldn't doubt you unless I tried it. I've always considered whatever is behind the fronts, the front fins dictate the amount of pivot.
Kinda hard to describe but my latest custom asked for twin set up and shaper sold me on a twin fronts and quad rears with fronts set up normal quad placement and rears set up a inch. You can really feel the pivot and how it holds kinda like twin feeling of drive with hold of a quad.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
This is very similar to what I liked in my quads. Rakier front fin, upright rears. Never tried this particular Von Sol set-up (Hornet Honey Comb) but it looks very close to the templates I would use, minus the nubster.

Also, not sure what the foil is like on these, but I only liked flat foiled all around.

View attachment 131285
Intuitively, I would think that the drive comes from the rear fins on a quad set up, so you would want the rake fin in the back? Pivot fin in the front, for pivot, and rake fins in the back for drive?

I have a set of Von Sol Stiletto fins that have upright rear quad fins, I'll do some experimenting on this theory and report back. :)

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Kinda hard to describe but my latest custom asked for twin set up and shaper sold me on a twin fronts and quad rears with fronts set up normal quad placement and rears set up a inch. You can really feel the pivot and how it holds kinda like twin feeling of drive with hold of a quad.
Fronts: Finsunlimited 2win twin set fiberglass 5.5" h 5.25" b
Rears: Finsunlimited #2 quad set fiberglass 4.25" h 50/50

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Intuitively, I would think that the drive comes from the rear fins on a quad set up, so you would want the rake fin in the back? Pivot fin in the front, for pivot, and rake fins in the back for drive?
I know that's how some people feel about it. I guess my retort to that would be that the drive from a quad is coming from all 4 fins.......that's why they feel faster. But having 4 drivey fins allows you to play around with them a little more. A common quad complaint is that they turn a little rounder and don't quite have the same amount of pivot as a thruster. So why not get as much drive as you can out of the front fins and have the rear fins more upright so they can pivot harder/quicker like a thruster? If you're surfing an hp quad, your back foot is really close to being on top of the rear fins, right? So to me, those are the fins you're pivoting off.

I have a set of Von Sol Stiletto fins that have upright rear quad fins, I'll do some experimenting on this theory and report back. :)
Interested to hear your thoughts. You're more of a AM fin guy, right? If so, I have a feeling you'll like more upright fronts and raked rears.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I know that's how some people feel about it. I guess my retort to that would be that the drive from a quad is coming from all 4 fins.......that's why they feel faster. But having 4 drivey fins allows you to play around with them a little more. A common quad complaint is that they turn a little rounder and don't quite have the same amount of pivot as a thruster. So why not get as much drive as you can out of the front fins and have the rear fins more upright so they can pivot harder/quicker like a thruster? If you're surfing an hp quad, your back foot is really close to being on top of the rear fins, right? So to me, those are the fins you're pivoting off.

Interested to hear your thoughts. You're more of a AM fin guy, right? If so, I have a feeling you'll like more upright fronts and raked rears.
I was a solid AM guy, but after riding the V2 PC fins (K2.1 template) I haven't ridden AM's in almost over a year.

You're description makes sense. The Webber fins from NVS have these really large raked out fins, with tiny not so raked rears and really makes the board feel like a twin. Lots of pivot. I'm gonna play around with your theory in mind. :cool:(y)

IMG_6209.jpgIMG_6216.jpgIMG_6190.jpg

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
This is why quads are annoying TBH. We haven't even talked about placement, especially of the rear quads, and whether those fins should be flat, symmetrical, etc.

If EAs don't work or Merrick rear quads in large or medium, it's too much effort.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@ReForest what jkb is saying is more than a theory. ;)
Keep in mind you're predominantly riding rather straight railed, very short Tomos.
It's easy to fall into the trap of surfing them flatter and pivot off the fins rather than really engaging the rails like a board with longer curved rails.
^ I approve this message.
@ReForest Something to consider and look out for when you review your turns on video.

@JDJ I think quads may require the most tinkering if the first set(s) don’t click right away, because of all the variables you mention.
For tomos, the ones I’ve liked best as a quad were Omni and Cymatic (which he said upon release was designed to go best as a quad, but would “work” as a thruster). Ironically, I don’t love his dedicated quad, the El tomo fish- rears placed too far from rail for me.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
@oeste858 have you tried symmetrical rears in the El Tomo? I remember something Rusty wrote years ago that off the rail quad rears go best that way. I believe Rusty’s quad rears are symmetrical because most of his quads have a placement similar to the El Tomo. The Rastas are as well but they always felt too small IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I believe Rusty’s quad rears are symmetrical
rusty quads are 50/50 foil, 3.5” tall and raked paired with a M/L sized neutral/pivot front.

i really like them for small waves. Tiger sheds than more equally sized sets which I prefer for going straight.

no Tomo, so ymmv.

Reactions: j_mac and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Would be interested to try the new Revo, which is supposed to be ridden as a quad, and the El Tomo Fish. But I’ve always thought Dan’s boards get so much drive that quads don’t really add much since they work so well as thrusters. But I know fin choice is different for each person.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest what jkb is saying is more than a theory. ;)
Keep in mind you're predominantly riding rather straight railed, very short Tomos.
It's easy to fall into the trap of surfing them flatter and pivot off the fins rather than really engaging the rails like a board with longer curved rails.
Yes! For the past year or so, every time I'd review my waves, I am always turning the boards flatter (lateral). I've been trying to get the boards more vertical up the face on the bottom turns and try to carve through the top turn, but it is a challenge if you don't have proper technique.

The great thing about this new Revo is that it forces you to use the rails. If you try and turn without engaging the rail it will slide out. I've had some incredible feelings on the Revo when you lean hard and get it on rail. Not only does it feel good to lean hard on the rail, but because of the Vee you actually gain speed when its on rail.

The board also forces you to go on rail into your next turn as well, so as soon as you get the hang of it, the board actually "helps" you link your turns and stay on rail. Its a pretty amazing feeling so far! Definitely 100% a break through design... i can see Tomo applying this bottom design to other models.

*This is probably one of the most unique boards designs and tech upgrades that Tomo and Firewire have released since the Vanguard in 2013.

Last edited: