***Official Real Estate Thread***

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Homestead exemption/property tax savagely favoring owner-occupied housing so single-family homes went back to being a thing a family owned, and was more or less prohibitively expensive for, say the third home owned by someone. Because if you did this to second homes you'd kill demand in Florida's case (Big money doesn't live here. It lives in London, NYC, Moscow....)
I agree. Curious what others think but i would love to see 2nd /vacation home property taxes hiked exponentially in HI while keeping owner occupied low/status quo.. Was it here or somewhere that i saw 1/5 of homes are unoccupied right now in the state? seems a ton of ppl who are scared of the markets are parking money here bc of low property taxes and its trickle down effect is low/middle class getting fkd. Real estate lobby would throw a fit though. they had all sorts of misleading ads and rhetoric couple years back when the teachers union proposed a tax on residential vacation properties to fund education. it has been nice though to see all these blow in real estate agent leeches cannibalize each other in the recent years.

Reactions: Mr Doof and rice

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
we put in an offer for 100k over asking. asking was already 200k over adjacent home values. denied. houses are going 50%+ over asking price. who da fk r are these aholes with all this $$$
Have met a guy who does security for 2 homes bought by one person that Billy Hamilton has hooked up with. The guy has bought the property where we used to hang out with the owners and played bocci ball, shot pool on Tuesday nights with and did Thanksgiving and Super Bowl parties with. When they sold, their asking price was $13,000,000 but they got waay more. A two story structure, both studios with the pool room and a two story home at the front of the property with 3 bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths with a huge kitchen, 4 homes up from PineTrees and the parking lot.
This person also bought Jake Scott's old place 3 doors down but on the opposite side of the street. Two story huge house. He had a beautiful fishing boat that he'd run with anybody who wanted to go fishing with him. Jake meshed with the heavies in Hanalei and they highly respected the MVP of the 1973 Super Bowl. Jakes home rolled over twice before this new guy bought the home. This was the guys first purchase. The large parcel on the beach side was his second.

Some folks got the money to burn. The traffic into / out of Hanalei is like trying to get anywhere on the 405. Dead stop.

Reactions: Havoc

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I agree. Curious what others think but i would love to see 2nd /vacation home property taxes hiked exponentially in HI while keeping owner occupied low/status quo.. Was it here or somewhere that i saw 1/5 of homes are unoccupied right now in the state? seems a ton of ppl who are scared of the markets are parking money here bc of low property taxes and its trickle down effect is low/middle class getting fkd. Real estate lobby would throw a fit though. they had all sorts of misleading ads and rhetoric couple years back when the teachers union proposed a tax on residential vacation properties to fund education. it has been nice though to see all these blow in real estate agent leeches cannibalize each other in the recent years.
Pretty common for the super wealthy all over the world to park their money in luxury real estate, especially in the states.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Is your business incorporated?
No. That was just a Citizens United vs. FEC joke. That was the supreme court case where the conservative majority ruled that limiting political campaign spending violated the first amendment of corporations. Money = speech. Corporations = people. Flawless logic.

The idea that the US congress in it's current state could pass meaningful reforms to limit corporate power is laughable and any state laws passed would be challenged and end up in front of a supreme court that is even more business friendly and willing to overturn precedent than the one that ruled in favor of Citizens United.

I'm realizing now that this isn't the politics forum and I don't want to derail the thread so I'll just say that in my view this 40+ year project of unfettering capital and further advantaging the already advantaged has been fairly bipartisan.

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Here's an interesting piece of the Lost Coast for sale. The auction for it was supposed to be today but I hear that cell service wasn't good enough to get the online bidding going so the sale has been postponed.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Here's an interesting piece of the Lost Coast for sale. The auction for it was supposed to be today but I hear that cell service wasn't good enough to get the online bidding going so the sale has been postponed.
After reading the history of that property I would imagine COVID was probably the last straw for the owner.

Sounds like he was being pretty cool but people took advantage. Rather than turn into a total dick he's chosen just to bail instead, and probably take a nice profit.

Even if I had that money, considering the history, I don't think I'd want to own it.