***Official 2022 Community Surf Journal***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Looks like you found the lower end of the tm

Definitely soft ones out there. I grabbed the 5’6 Mitsven tkf for a late morning quick one at reef 2, on the rising tide. Already breezy and just got some crumbly WH+ rights. A few wraps and low wide figure 8’s. Wish it was more lined up to open up the fish.

Waters back up to 2 mil full temps. It was just nice to get wet after a couple days fighting a cold given to me by my ungrateful 3-yr old.
0AE6475D-BF53-43DF-B23D-BB5F9365CE23.jpeg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
First surf in over a week. It's been kind of crummy weather and my knee has been acting up so I've been trying to take a break from it. The local looked a little too fun this afternoon though. Rode the 6-6 Townsend and got about a dozen fun ones. Knee felt OK. Was trying to keep it cruisy but I did get a couple overhead rights and couldn't help but push through a couple turns. Only surfed for about an hour. Just me and an alaskan guy who was pretty chill surfing a little corner off the creek mouth. Mostly rights but a few lefts. Nothing crazy but good to get wet and I am proud of myself for not overdoing it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
First surf in over a week. It's been kind of crummy weather and my knee has been acting up so I've been trying to take a break from it. The local looked a little too fun this afternoon though. Rode the 6-6 Townsend and got about a dozen fun ones. Knee felt OK. Was trying to keep it cruisy but I did get a couple overhead rights and couldn't help but push through a couple turns. Only surfed for about an hour. Just me and an alaskan guy who was pretty chill surfing a little corner off the creek mouth. Mostly rights but a few lefts. Nothing crazy but good to get wet and I am proud of myself for not overdoing it.
An hour?? That’s a double Oeste sesh. You’re gonna be sore tomorrow
LOL

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
bigger than expected at my usual this AM. glassy conditions but a bit walled on the sets with occasional corners. mostly closeouts but caught a right towards the end of the session that stayed open and ran. 6'6 moonstone felt like snowboarding going frontside. loving the bigger board and longer rail line, just have to adjust the duck diving technique a bit.

if you're wondering what my political stance is, i'm pro- long fish. I could definitely see myself considering a shorter/slightly wider moonstone in the future, maybe 6'2 but keep the width just under 20"

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Nice little lunch session on O's twinsman. I met my buddy in a zone with lots of options. I was leaning toward a longer paddle but the crowd was thick so he convinced me to surf the inside reform. At first the tide was a bit low and the waves were kind of lame, leading me to stare longingly in the direction of the wave I had planned to surf. About 30 minutes in we hit the low end of the tide window and I started getting some fun ones. Lots of grindy little 2' waves with turn sections. I'm beat. Loving the warm water, I think I could've trunked it with the sun out.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Epic run of south swell. Still going strong from Sunday. Checked all the boxes. Dinged my boar, burned a donkey and almost landed on his dome all on one wave. Pin drop wipeouts. Barrel rolls underwater. Barely getting under huge closeouts. Bailing my boar and hoping my leash doesn’t break. Then there were those moments. AB2F33AF-B077-4B3B-99DB-29A384ED1511.jpegF93B740C-690C-4B82-A497-5A419FCBC243.jpegF7C645C8-37C8-4C18-82DC-AD09D2B01BFC.jpeg

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
bigger than expected at my usual this AM. glassy conditions but a bit walled on the sets with occasional corners. mostly closeouts but caught a right towards the end of the session that stayed open and ran. 6'6 moonstone felt like snowboarding going frontside. loving the bigger board and longer rail line, just have to adjust the duck diving technique a bit.

if you're wondering what my political stance is, i'm pro- long fish. I could definitely see myself considering a shorter/slightly wider moonstone in the future, maybe 6'2 but keep the width just under 20"
Mines 6'2" x 20 x 2.44. Feels great at that size, kinda like being on a step up fish that paddles around better but still easy to handle/dive. That board seems pretty versatile when it comes to sizing it. I'm in the opposite boat where I'm like I think i will add an additional longer one at some point. So much fun when you get comfortable on them.

Reactions: j_mac and tedshred5

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Mines 6'2" x 20 x 2.44. Feels great at that size, kinda like being on a step up fish that paddles around better but still easy to handle/dive. That board seems pretty versatile when it comes to sizing it. I'm in the opposite boat where I'm like I think i will add an additional longer one at some point. So much fun when you get comfortable on them.
nice! yeah I'd probably go with similar dims, maybe 2.5 or 2.56 thick. yours looks fun...I'm still figuring it out but so far, it's definitely a good change from my usual boars. I think the fact that the width isn't super blown up for how long it is, gives it the magic. and the GG approved fin placement. the rear edge of my fins are ~7" from the tip of the swallow tail.

Reactions: trifish and j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
nice! yeah I'd probably go with similar dims, maybe 2.5 or 2.56 thick. yours looks fun...I'm still figuring it out but so far, it's definitely a good change from my usual boars. I think the fact that the width isn't super blown up for how long it is, gives it the magic. and the GG approved fin placement. the rear edge of my fins are ~7" from the tip of the swallow tail.
You guys are running keels in your moonstoned, right?
I was surprised to measure only 6 1/3” from the end of my Mistven keel… but it’s 5’6

Reactions: Havoc and trifish

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Took the afternoon off from work, as the conditions looked promising and it was :)! Big sets coming thru on a reef/beach break- solid rides, long paddles back to match the rides. Non-stop 3hr session, had the place to myself at times. I am exhausted but happy. 5' 7" Bullet Twin with the Asher Pacey 5.8" worked well, and so far the best. I could drive the board without hesitation.