FloriDUH......

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
you can keep trying to fight this, but you yourself admitted that you didn't read it
You are approaching fecalface levels of reading comprehension. I read half the first time, and all of it a 2nd time, and Ive said that quite clearly a few times now. Even reading half of an article should be enough to get a grasp of the take home message, and if not that is on the author.

The constant use of “BIPOC” and personal anecdotes, combined with minimal actual data, was a tell that the rest of the article would be more of the same. And it was. Shocker.

it points out things anyone who has skied can attest to
AGAIN . . . How much of that is economic, and how much of that is from the skiing business going out of their way to make minorities feel unwelcome?

you're intentionally framing your argument in a way that does not even comport with the claim the guy is making which is extremely weird....you keep making it about "keeping BIPOCS off of the slopes"
and there’s no framing effect with the author :unsure: :roflmao:

do you want to argue the merits of the article as written or simply the argument you've invented in your mind which suits your existing bias?
Do you? I’m yet to here exactly what you think was so compelling about it that I’m missing. Most of what I saw was a collection of anecdotes.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The constant use of “BIPOC” and personal anecdotes, combined with minimal actual data, was a tell that the rest of the article would be more of the same. And it was. Shocker.
GUYS, DON'T USE THE TERM BIPOC AROUND GRAPE, IT MAKES HIM UNCOMFORTABLE

...so easily triggered....and a wondrous level of effort applied to ignoring the obvious point

affluent, majority-white paces are rotten with racism and bad behavior; the owners/operators of these spaces do nothing to curb that bad behavior

asking for data is so fkn disingenous....a person of color shared his experiences existing within a majority-white sport and space. I'm not sure what fkn data you would want (or accept) in the context of an article that points out what anyone who participates in skiing (or similar knows)

again, why are you even bothering with this conversation? you don't care about the issue and you couldn't be bothered to read the thing that is being discussed because, I guess, it uses terms that you find off-putting

why even engage?

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I think I read one and a half paragraphs of that article. I'm not particularly concerned about minorities and skiing. I'm more concerned about minorities being shot by police, being excluded from Airbnbs, being discriminated against when seeking loans and housing, being discriminated against in immigration quotas. That sort of thing.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

...so easily triggered....and a wondrous level of effort applied to ignoring the obvious point

affluent, majority-white paces are rotten with racism and bad behavior; the owners/operators of these spaces do nothing to curb that bad behavior

asking for data is so fkn disingenous....a person of color shared his experiences existing within a majority-white sport and space. I'm not sure what fkn data you would want (or accept) in the context of an article that points out what anyone who participates in skiing (or similar knows)

again, why are you even bothering with this conversation? you don't care about the issue and you couldn't be bothered to read the thing that is being discussed because, I guess, it uses terms that you find off-putting

why even engage?
Holy sh!t what has happened to you?

Hanging out with that SURFING IZ RASSSS lady over in Venice?

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
no, it doesn’t. Lol. What I’m saying is that the term is used mindlessly, like my comment about tropes a few pages back that started this whole tangent. Authors like this intentionally load their writing with buzzwords because it evokes an emotional response in their desired audience and covers up the overall lack of substance.

It’s so obvious, yet you ignore that?

Again, where’s your actual proof of this bad behavior? An anecdote about a guy saying he overhead someone dropping an N bomb? How many perfectly civil and polite people share the slopes for every anecdote about some asshole?

Actually it’s not. If the slopes are 88% white and whites have a similar % in upper incomes, then the slopes are really just a representation of economic realities.

again, why are you even bothering with this conversation?
I could ask you the same thing?

you don't care about the issue and you couldn't be bothered to read the thing that is being discussed because, I guess, it uses terms that you find off-putting
Holy fook, how many times have I said that I read it twice?

why even engage?

• Dislike
Reactions: plasticbertrand

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
no, it doesn’t. Lol. What I’m saying is that the term is used mindlessly, like my comment about tropes a few pages back that started this whole tangent. Authors like this intentionally load their writing with buzzwords because it evokes an emotional response in their desired audience and covers up the overall lack of substance.

It’s so obvious, yet you ignore that?
If the author said non-whitey would that make you feel better? BIPOC is shorthand for something. Like WASP or DINK or modem or civnat or USMC. What should the term be for anyone who is not white?

If I was looking for an example of a term used mindlessly, I would look no further than your use of "freedom of speech" in places where the private sector (Twitter, Fakebook, etc.) is kickbanning people and Congress is nowhere to be found making laws abridging that speech.

That's about as mindful as accepting bookings for your AirBnB, then denying the customer accommodation because it's your Third Amendment right. :foreheadslap:

I don't think any of us disagreeing with you in general agree with you about lack of substance specifically. Several distinct instances of racist terms or tropes, and a specific place at a Utah Resort being named after a bridge that passed over a Chinese enclave isn't a lack of substance where I'm standing.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Holy fook, how many times have I said that I read it twice?
...after you said you didn't read it

grapedrink said:
because I find your unsane argument here morbidly compelling

BIPOC BIPOC BIPOC!

1651010975029.png

Holy sh!t what has happened to you?

Hanging out with that SURFING IZ RASSSS lady over in Venice?
ifallalot, the only forum user with his own version number, he who commands dictionaries, is concerned about what has happened to me?

AINT.THAT.RICH.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If the author said non-whitey would that make you feel better? BIPOC is shorthand for something. Like WASP or DINK or modem or civnat or USMC. What should the term be for anyone who is not white?
Again, what makes you think It offends me? Strawman much :roflmao:

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
I read half and gave up, which is the authors fault for writing such a crappy article. Feel free to offer up a summary of what I am missing.
Your self explanatory summary is sufficient !! )

A Declaration of Ignorance is by definition a FAILED Declaration of Ignorance !! )

It works out the same every time !! :) )

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
grapedrink thread sequence -

1. grapedrink says something racist and idiotic

2. readers points out that grapedrink said something racist and idiotic

3. grapedrink declares victory
it's best to treat him like GrossFlab and not engage too much. Better just to mock.

sirfun

Duke status
Apr 26, 2008
U.S.A.
The leftist brain is wired different..... It's all fucked up. Anything can be racist. It's one of those fungible terms, like equity and penis. It can be anything or nothing at all.
the next person I call racist will be the first !! )

but we do agree there is such a thing dont we ?? :) )

:shrug: