Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
You know after trying these on the moon...I think the CC Keels are the ticket. These felt pretty good overall but I lost a good amount of pivot compared to the CC's
So how are you liking it? are the dimensions working out as you had hoped? This board piques my interest as well as a few others in this realm.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
So how are you liking it? are the dimensions working out as you had hoped? This board piques my interest as well as a few others in this realm.
I've only had about 4 sessions on it so far, but all of them have been positive. Catches waves great & the amount of speed it generates with little effort is really impressive. It feels like nothing to get it around sections. Board just wants to run.

I know guys like Kerzy/Geiselman like it as a step up, but I'm not really sold on that I think. Feels more of a DD with a good upper end/range but not something your grabbing for more serious waves with a lot of paddling. Townsend feels more like a alt step up over it I would say in terms of being stable controlling speed. On that note though it did do great in the overhead stuff I had it in today, but expect a good amount of speed to manage.

Wish it had a little more nose rocker to help in the steeper sections. I actually caught it once today when the wave sucked out some. I never catch noses on my shorter fish, so Its probably a combination of the added length and low nose rocker. To give you an idea the rocker overall on it is less than my townsend and my xanadu fish. Its pretty low overall. Rails are nice, similar to my townsend, but more knifey in the back quarter. I think somebody said theirs were chunky, mines not that and foam is distributed well I think. Maneuvers really great, pretty playful, especially when I was running CC keels on it which are a little more upright than most keels.

Overall stoked on it so far and would ride it on any day I would grab my regular keel fish or bigger days where I would want to be on a fish but would like more paddle power & rail.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I've only had about 4 sessions on it so far, but all of them have been positive. Catches waves great & the amount of speed it generates with little effort is really impressive. It feels like nothing to get it around sections. Board just wants to run.

I know guys like Kerzy/Geiselman like it as a step up, but I'm not really sold on that I think. Feels more of a DD with a good upper end/range but not something your grabbing for more serious waves with a lot of paddling. Townsend feels more like a alt step up over it I would say in terms of being stable controlling speed. On that note though it did do great in the overhead stuff I had it in today, but expect a good amount of speed to manage.

Wish it had a little more nose rocker to help in the steeper sections. I actually caught it once today when the wave sucked out some. I never catch noses on my shorter fish, so Its probably a combination of the added length and low nose rocker. To give you an idea the rocker overall on it is less than my townsend and my xanadu fish. Its pretty low overall. Rails are nice, similar to my townsend, but more knifey in the back quarter. I think somebody said theirs were chunky, mines not that and foam is distributed well I think. Maneuvers really great, pretty playful, especially when I was running CC keels on it which are a little more upright than most keels.

Overall stoked on it so far and would ride it on any day I would grab my regular keel fish or bigger days where I would want to be on a fish but would like more paddle power & rail.
Outstanding! Thank you for the detailed review! Interesting about the rocker, I thought that I read somewhere that it had a fair amount. Based on this feedback, I think if I were to place an order, I might go for something around 6 ft. Looking at the various Moonstones builds on IG, there are some shorter ones that look fun. I am still contemplating. Thanks again!

Reactions: trifish

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
is that the hipster cloud blue sky special? any matching print t shirts available?

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Outstanding! Thank you for the detailed review! Interesting about the rocker, I thought that I read somewhere that it had a fair amount. Based on this feedback, I think if I were to place an order, I might go for something around 6 ft. Looking at the various Moonstones builds on IG, there are some shorter ones that look fun. I am still contemplating. Thanks again!
Sure np. So mine was 6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16 so pretty custom dims compared to their stock dims. Not sure what they do rocker wise on the longer ones versus the shorter ones but I know overall its based on the Sunstone Matt said. Dont think there is anything I would change with it other than I wish it had a little more flip in the nose. This one came out to be around 35L and I usually ride more around 33, but feels fine with the added volume. Dont think i would change my dims if i was to get another for myself.

*Edit - Not a great side shot but this pic I sent to a buddy the other day might give you some sort of rough idea on how the rocker compares. I haven't measured anything, but just feels flatter overall when racked near my other boards and when paddling it.

1642110480958.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021

Attachments

Jan 28, 2011
NC
Nice! I have tried the 5.8" Ashers in a few boards. I figured the NVS Album uprights were similar to the 5.6" Ashers. Anyone have both to compare. I can post a picture later between the 5.8" and NVS fins. Did you get a new lightbender or this the same one?
A little late to reply but I have had both. There is definitely more area on the Asher’s compared to the NVS. I thought the NVS lacked drive and ended up selling them. Been using the Asher’s ever since.

Reactions: chilly1 and j_mac