Hawaii- Done

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
I like 'em longer, in the 9' range. Hate chattering down the face of an oversized wave feeling like a skipping stone I chucked on a lake in summer somewhere back east as a kid. Also, love digging the entire rail of a big board. :bowdown::waving::shaka:
Don't all the locals at Hanalei ride 9 footers?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
a lot of them, but they're mostly silver backs on the big guns. You can get into a triple overhead wave at Hanalei on a much shorter board. If it's really big, then yes, guns are the call

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
3D2C8333-CF9D-4EAF-A287-6CC23C32B157.png

Should probably pack an impact or inflation suit too. But remember Kauai is basically a circle and swell wraps around the island a lot easier than the rest of the island chain. im sure you’ll find somewhere fun to surf looks like the wind will be the determining factor.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Gun or a semI with lots of foam? YMMV. I like shorter mini guns with foam for paddle and control and shortness for steepness
Semi gun - its 7'0 but I think its super light on foam for me 38L. Might try to buy a new board on Wednesday when Im back in SF and then fly it out with me. thinking something in the 42L range (Im 185 lbs)

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Should probably pack an impact or inflation suit too. But remember Kauai is basically a circle and swell wraps around the island a lot easier than the rest of the island chain. im sure you’ll find somewhere fun to surf looks like the wind will be the determining factor.
Ah perfect! Ive surfed a few big swells on the NW wrap exposures of kauai, wasnt sure how generous the wrap would be. I'll be looking to surf something in the DOH range, nothing bigger (As Im there with the GF and she will probably freak out) I get there Friday so wish me luck!

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
i wqnt nothing to do with a 20-25’ HI forecast…

I am an old pussy , get sum yew!

most of us dont either...BUT...when it hits that big all of the secret spots start to light up...think wraparounds... and bounce off kauai and bounce off molokai and come in at a different angle like that... :waving:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Semi gun - its 7'0 but I think its super light on foam for me 38L. Might try to buy a new board on Wednesday when Im back in SF and then fly it out with me. thinking something in the 42L range (Im 185 lbs)
Yeah I’ve ridden a fat boy round pin 6’9 thruster out at some pretty sizable days at the bay and gotten my share of glory and whippings. Not 20-25 they’re calling for this weekend, but close

Reactions: santacruzin

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Yeah I’ve ridden a fat boy round pin 6’9 thruster out at some pretty sizable days at the bay and gotten my share of glory and whippings. Not 20-25 they’re calling for this weekend, but close
Gotcha, I surf up to TOH OBSF ( on that 7'0) so I think I should be able to manage at spots that arent fully exposed to the brunt of it (DOH Range). Has anyone flown using a daybag? wondering if its worth ponying up for a big travel bag as my biggest travel bag is a 6'3

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019
Gotcha, I surf up to TOH OBSF ( on that 7'0) so I think I should be able to manage at spots that arent fully exposed to the brunt of it (DOH Range). Has anyone flown using a daybag? wondering if its worth ponying up for a big travel bag as my biggest travel bag is a 6'3
Pretty sure Southwest has a $150 flat rate so might as well bring multiple boards.

Flying out tomorrow with a 6’3. Not nearly enough board for Hanalei but hoping for some swell to fill in on the south west.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Talked to one of Da Hui uncles. He said if the swell is big enough the Hui Backdoor Shootout may run in the next two days. Weekend may be too big and N wind.

Inside scoop WSL may give John an exemption to surf in it and he’ll be teamed with his brothers Nate and Ivan plus a fourth. Thinking Eli or Kiron.

Reactions: vanrysss

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Talked to one of Da Hui uncles. He said if the swell is big enough the Hui Backdoor Shootout may run in the next two days. Weekend may be too big and N wind.

Inside scoop WSL may give John an exemption to surf in it and he’ll be teamed with his brothers Nate and Ivan plus a fourth. Thinking Eli or Kiron.
Nate said on YouTube that they are surfing the contest with their mom.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Why does John need an exemption to surf in the shootout?
WSL doesn’t allow its CT athletes to surf in non-WSL sanctioned events. That’s the reason John hasn’t been in any of the other Shootouts since he qualified for the CT. If you think back Seth, Zeke, Freddy P, even Kelly aren’t in any of the recent Shootouts once they qualified.