Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Exactly. Getting the shot was not rolling the dice. Not getting the shot would be rolling the dice.
Getting the vaccines is objectively a gamble. You are saying the equivalent of "getting insurance is not a gamble, not getting insurance is". A sales pitch for vaccines. You can weigh the sides however you like, but there are sides.
Getting vaccine shots is a bet that the odds of having an adverse reaction to the shot(s), now or later, and the inconvenience that is getting the shot(s), is outweighed by the benefit of reduced odds of suffering badly from COVID or spreading it to others.
The outcome determines how your gamble went, even if you don't get to know the answer. If you get multiple shots, and don't get sick, maybe you didn't get sick because of the shots. Maybe you just weren't going to get sick, and the shots did not benefit you, but cost you time, energy, and the uncertainty (however slight) of future complications. You will never know.
If you don't get any shots, and don't get sick at any point, you have had the better outcome. If you don't get any shots, and get sick, you have had the worse result.

Reactions: JDJ

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
@stringcheese - vax safety is not a gamble, imo...and therefore, i have nothing to lose by vaxxing.

everything we do is a roll of the dice to some extent

the long term effects of the vax are unknown

same is true for covid

do your best
this is false equivalence. the long-term effects are of the vax unknown because, thus far, there really aren't any.

on the other hand, there is a small mountain of documentation on the long-term effects of covid.

the choice is simple and obvious.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
@stringcheese - vax safety is not a gamble, imo...and therefore, i have nothing to lose by vaxxing.

this is false equivalence. the long-term effects are of the vax unknown because, thus far, there really aren't any.

on the other hand, there is a small mountain of documentation on the long-term effects of covid.

Nuh ugh!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

:foreheadslap:my whole point was that your opinion is clear, but meaningless if you don't acknowledge that it is a choice between options made for a reason. If your reasoning for doing something is "well, duh, like because I mean come on!" then you haven't added anything to the discussion. Pretending that there is no counter argument is not a good way to strengthen an idea.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Getting the vaccines is objectively a gamble. You are saying the equivalent of "getting insurance is not a gamble, not getting insurance is". A sales pitch for vaccines. You can weigh the sides however you like, but there are sides.
Getting vaccine shots is a bet that the odds of having an adverse reaction to the shot(s), now or later, and the inconvenience that is getting the shot(s), is outweighed by the benefit of reduced odds of suffering badly from COVID or spreading it to others.
The outcome determines how your gamble went, even if you don't get to know the answer. If you get multiple shots, and don't get sick, maybe you didn't get sick because of the shots. Maybe you just weren't going to get sick, and the shots did not benefit you, but cost you time, energy, and the uncertainty (however slight) of future complications. You will never know.
If you don't get any shots, and don't get sick at any point, you have had the better outcome. If you don't get any shots, and get sick, you have had the worse result.
Motivated Reasoning’s Effect on Frames-01-2.jpg

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I'm curious, how many different vaccines have been injected into your body before you came to the conclusion those are all good and ok and this one (and only this one) is evil, bad, uselss and nothing more than the product of a big political hoax?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
i stopped adding anything to the discussion a long time ago - you just noticed? :roflmao:
No I still must get something from your posts, you still show up unlike the two spots below your post that say "you are ignoring content from this member" :LOL:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I'm curious, how many different vaccines have been injected into your body before you came to the conclusion those are all good and ok and this one (and only this one) is evil, bad, uselss and nothing more than the product of a big political hoax?
You just walk into the middle of a conversation and didn't even...you know what...

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

encladd

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 8, 2019

Speak with an actual biologist or organic chemist for 5 more than mins and you'll be running to get the vax.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Speak with an actual biologist or organic chemist for 5 more than mins and you'll be running to get the vax.
:rolleyes:
A close friend graduated from MIT and is an accomplished chemist. I work with a biologist who also works in a restaurant for the extra money because science work/pay mostly sucks(unless you say ridiculous shlt and get on tv). Right now, in my car, is a dog-eared copy of "absolutely small" by Richard Fayer.
I also got the first shot, as I've said before.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
not true

here is *one* example (there are others)

young people are at essentially zero risk from covid

young people who have already recovered from their essentially zero risk covid infection have immunity that is essentially equivalent with the vaccinated

therefore... vaccination in this case is a judgement call (ie not simple and obvious)

science!

imo, the choice is only simple and obvious for people who are at high risk of serious illness or death

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
not true

here is *one* example (there are others)

young people are at essentially zero risk from covid

young people who have already recovered from their essentially zero risk covid infection have immunity that is essentially equivalent with the vaccinated

therefore... vaccination in this case is a judgement call (ie not simple and obvious)

science!

imo, the choice is only simple and obvious for people who are at high risk of serious illness or death
Yeah, well, https://kvia.com/health/cnn-health/2021/12/28/child-hospitalizations-are-surging-in-this-chicago-hospital-only-one-of-the-young-patients-was-fully-vaccinated-doctor-says/

I've seen quite a few reports that hospitalizations of children are skyrocketing so maybe not zero risk.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Take that imagined scenario and end up with results the same, or worse. Sure, politics stopped some people from getting vaccinated. On the other hand, the politicization of the vaccine effort must have resulted in a number of people getting vaccinated that otherwise wouldn't have.

There must be people who made the decision "I don't know or understand, but I trust the people who don't trust or like Donald Trump, and I trust television news doctors implicitly, so I'll do anything they say" and just as many of them as there have been "I don't trust the liberals, they'll turn the frogs gay, I didn't get the shingles vaccine and I'm not getting this one, not tryina get autism"

political bullshlt game is played both ways, damn near evenly in the united states. The players are easy to identify by their "the people who don't come to the same conclusion as me are stupid or evil. It is not possible that what is best for them, and what is best for me, are different" attitude, and the coupled unwillingness to accept that the unknown is unknown, it is not their unrealized fear waiting to play out if everyone doesn't do what they say.

We are all guessing and gambling here. Some of us are just being honest about it.
There are plenty of unvaccinated on both sides of the political spectrum.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
lots of sick folks in this part of world.
the ones i know - seem to be getting over it.
it seems widespread.