Post your Foil Pics HERE

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
New foil shop opening up in Seal Beach tomorrow. They're doing a board give away. Check @thefoilshop on instagram for details. Sounds like a good time with demo's involved.

Reactions: ghostshaper
Aug 23, 2020
New foil shop opening up in Seal Beach tomorrow. They're doing a board give away. Check @thefoilshop on instagram for details. Sounds like a good time with demo's involved.

Having a local shop with foil gear in stock is so awesome.... and so dangerous. Increases the threat of impulse buys x1000..

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Don't worry, he doesn't have any stock since people keep buying it all :)

Rumor is he has a game changer demo at the moment. It's just so far to drive down there though. *sigh*

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
This is embarrassingly lame compared to what you guys post, but what the heck. I got a surprise session at a spot minutes from my house. It doesn't break very often. Can be pretty ultimate for foiling, with weak waves that can break a long time on the right day. This was not that day, but it was fun session just with buddies. Got out the gopro right before dark, first time bringing it out foiling. Lesson learned: have to hold it still while riding. The pumping shots would make you seasick, even making turns it is hard to watch. Oh and sunshine would help. :) Click the gear icon for HD quality.

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Which GoPro? My 8 always amazes me how much it can smooth out video.
Super old! Maybe a 2 or 3? Newer ones probably have corrections and all sorts of gizmos -- wave size enhancing filter? It would be fun to have one of the max or insta360 type cameras, I like how they erase the selfie stick. But to be honest, mostly gave up on the self filming, it's inevitably disappointing compared to what's in my mind about how good that session was ;-)

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Following up Hdip post in Learning thread "last week at Fort point a ski boat towed a foiler into a wave on a glassy day. The guy ended up falling at the end and the board washed in. Surfer came in and drug the board up on the sand. Grabbed big rocks and proceeded to "stone" the foil board."

Found the video -- posted here rather than further hijack the Learning the Basics. Not sure it'll work for non FB folks.

Shockingly, it appears foiling is not appreciated at that spot. ;-) I doubt you could get away with paddling it. Boat tow-in's are pretty much verboten at any spot where there are regular surfers, much less a spot like this. So, ultimately, not all that surprising. Will be interesting to see what comes of this, blow up the interwebs or quietly go away?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/BayAreaKiteBoarding/permalink/6576563925719079/

Mar 2, 2019
Following up Hdip post in Learning thread "last week at Fort point a ski boat towed a foiler into a wave on a glassy day. The guy ended up falling at the end and the board washed in. Surfer came in and drug the board up on the sand. Grabbed big rocks and proceeded to "stone" the foil board."

Found the video -- posted here rather than further hijack the Learning the Basics. Not sure it'll work for non FB folks.

Shockingly, it appears foiling is not appreciated at that spot. ;-) I doubt you could get away with paddling it. Boat tow-in's are pretty much verboten at any spot where there are regular surfers, much less a spot like this. So, ultimately, not all that surprising. Will be interesting to see what comes of this, blow up the interwebs or quietly go away?

https://m.facebook.com/groups/BayAreaKiteBoarding/permalink/6576563925719079/
Towed in on a crowded day with a Bayliner, no less. Sort of missed the whole concept of 'don't ruin it for the rest of us....' Good place for wing foiling as long as you don't turn the corner. Both of those a-holes (rock thrower and foiler) re-inforce my choice to seek solitude foiling mediocre waves and returning home with a smile instead of a frown.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Agreed. Our local crew is fantasizing about tow-in's, watching the insanely rad videos from around the world. Problem is, we just don't have the set ups that they do ... outside reefs with passing waves that barely break, leading to a long inside section for pumping magic. Unsurfable waves that you will have all to yourself, all day every day. We are spot-starved, so towing would inevitably bump up against crowds, and then the minor hate we are experiencing now would bloom into full-on warfare. It's just not realistic.

I expect it's similar for Mr. Fort Foiler, as outside the Bay is probably miles and miles of beach breaks and rocky headlands with nowhere to play. That wave is barely ridable most of the time and has wingers and kiters, so I am guessing it seems fair game. Either they don't surf or they don't care what the surfers think!

I also assume they planned to stay on the shoulder, not get in the way, not be in breaking waves, and so not need a leash. Probably got caught by a set ... a major faux pas there. The surfers have grounds for complaint watching a foil missile ripping through the lineup ... if that embeds in someone duck diving, that's no joke.

We have loads of ugly territorial d**kishness in our area, but when someone is actually being dangerous....that might be one exception where everyone seems to kind of agree with the ceremonial fin-smash session-ender. Hmm....now got some conflicted thoughts on this one.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
This is what happens when you think you're all that and a biscuit so for your first time you go out to a long and fast pointbreak.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

Glad none of this stuff was around in my day in any meaningful way.

Take care.

FoilFailureJR.jpg

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Ironically, the guy in the photo I posted is also named Brad, although as a raging narcissist he calls himself Be-Rad.
sorry hump, but that's not the point, it's not Brad, and pretty sure you don't know the rider. Pete is a ripper, one of the strongest local foilers. I am fairly sure I took that photo last winter.

• Wow
Reactions: Hdip