Beautiful Central California

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
i don't think it matters if it's facebook, the erbb or your group text. the concept of not blowing up spots is pretty simple regardless of the platform.
don’t bother that sh!t is lost on people today. I get that people already go to these spots.
I think some of you don’t get how many people view the erbb.

These threads absolutely add to crowds. I am not a loc of this zone or anywhere really but I think it’s poor form still.
It has nothing to do with internet “localism” or being a cool guy.
Its more of a respect for spots.

All you guys gleefully posting pics of secret spots are the ones trying to be cool guys.
“hey everyone look at me , look at me, look what I know”

I don’t expect any of you to complain about crowds ever again hahhahaha.

ok post some more vids and pics :roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
There was a secret point break in Asia I would go to and someone posted video of it on Facebook.

I politely asked him to take it down. I reasoned that the spot would be found out soon enough but why hasten the process?

And, to my surprise, he did.

Reactions: santacruzin

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Not to condone spot naming, but surf schools are a MUCH bigger issue than spot naming as far as clogging line-ups. Surf schools should be illegal.

Also, localism needs an adversary.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Haha yesterday my friend send me some crazy pics of waves only accessible from his wife’s familys farm in NZ.
Insane set up .looked exactly like cen California except no other surfers around. He surfs perfect waves everyday but has no one to surf with haha.

I would share them here but doesn’t seem like a wise idea anymore :foreheadslap:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Spring is my favorite time of year in Big Sur.

One thing is for certain, the day after this me and a buddy ventured down the cliff for more.

We left our backpacks on the beach with provisions.

When we came back in from our session there was a pack of rats on the rocks that had surrounded our stuff and were trying to chew through it.

My buddy tried to throw rocks at them to get them to scatter, but they just became angry and chased us off the rocks and a 1/3 of the way up the cliffside.

So don't bring any snacks down there, they call it Rat Creek for a reason and THEY WILL defend their territory.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Big time fresh water issues is the main drawback. Lots of driving for basic wares or pay through the nose for limited selection nearby (gas, groceries, pharmacy, hardware, etc). Plus there is not much in the way of meaningful local social interaction, unless you like Bingo :toilet:

If you are good with the above, it’s a great deal :roflmao:
Had a elderly relative living there. Moved because hospital care is a long way off...

Reactions: grapedrink

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
don’t bother that sh!t is lost on people today. I get that people already go to these spots.
I think some of you don’t get how many people view the erbb.

These threads absolutely add to crowds. I am not a loc of this zone or anywhere really but I think it’s poor form still.
It has nothing to do with internet “localism” or being a cool guy.
Its more of a respect for spots.

All you guys gleefully posting pics of secret spots are the ones trying to be cool guys.
“hey everyone look at me , look at me, look what I know”

I don’t expect any of you to complain about crowds ever again hahhahaha.

ok post some more vids and pics :roflmao::roflmao:

Oh for the love of....

A) the number of people who view this forum would be considered small by kid making YouTube makeup tutorial standards.
B) these threads do not add to crowds in places where even parking lots do not add to crowds.
C) it is fun to get to talk about and share stories of places you've been and things you've done with people who share an interest, and ONLY in surfing is it considered "poor form", and even that is an inherited bad attitude, applied only selectively and inconsistently. If you had not been taught it, you wouldn't feel it.
D) these are not secret spots. It's HWY 1. The threads in question only got removed when one person didn't like THEIR (mostly garbage surf) area being shown (at all, not at its best). Show all the rest of the world though. We have a travel forum. Just don't share video taken in an area between Los Angeles and San Francisco?

In summation: :rolleyes: eye roll

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Oh for the love of....

A) the number of people who view this forum would be considered small by kid making YouTube makeup tutorial standards.
B) these threads do not add to crowds in places where even parking lots do not add to crowds.
C) it is fun to get to talk about and share stories of places you've been and things you've done with people who share an interest, and ONLY in surfing is it considered "poor form", and even that is an inherited bad attitude, applied only selectively and inconsistently. If you had not been taught it, you wouldn't feel it.
D) these are not secret spots. It's HWY 1. The threads in question only got removed when one person didn't like THEIR (mostly garbage surf) area being shown (at all, not at its best). Show all the rest of the world though. We have a travel forum. Just don't share video taken in an area between Los Angeles and San Francisco?

Every spot in CA is HWY 1.

Where is your local spot? Got any pics of the good days? Post em up! :jamon:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Also, localism needs an adversary.
I had more unruined waves when localism was rampant.
I prefer localism over surfing with 3250 clueless noobs!!
Oh for the love of....

A - doesnt matter still does damage.
B - yes they do
C - I agree but you can leave details out and still spin a great yarn
D - There were places being posted that I guarantee not everyone on here knew about. Point about travel forum is valid I suppose .

Like I said I am not a super local like you must be.
I just think its really poor form.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I had more unruined waves when localism was rampant.
I prefer localism over surfing with 3250 clueless noobs!!

A - doesnt matter still does damage.
B - yes they do
C - I agree but you can leave details out and still spin a great yarn
D - There were places being posted that I guarantee not everyone on here knew about. Point about travel forum is valid I suppose .

Like I said I am not a super local like you must be.
I just think its really poor form.

If you really believe that the reason it isn't crowded at San Simeon point is because not enough people have seen it on the erBB...

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
If you really believe that the reason it isn't crowded at San Simeon point is because not enough people have seen it on the erBB...
Where did I say I was talking about that spot???
Mine was more of a general comment. I too used to think posting spots here was harmless then I was educated,

I dont regulate anyone, I am not a local and I dont act like a dick.
You are barking up the wrong tree dude.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Where did I say I was talking about that spot???
Mine was more of a general comment. I too used to think posting spots here was harmless then I was educated,

I dont regulate anyone, I am not a local and I dont act like a dick.
You are barking up the wrong tree dude.
Mine was too, I'm not disagreeing with you specifically, I'm quoting your post to use it for counter arguments. The San Simeon point video got the post pulled. Willow Creek is as secret as the office being on "peacock". So what are we doing here?

Edit: I am disagreeing with your saying that posting spots on here is not harmless.i think it is. When those spots are not new countries with undiscovered perfection, but right in plain sight very hard to get right.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My stretch of beach is crappy by even NJ standards but almost never crowded, lucky I guess?