Rusty - The Keg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Thanks @tedshred5
I think that was a much much better review than Craigs. But I do think the board looked a little short on him. I think he should have went with the 5'6 or 5'7. His surfing did look a little off too. Maybe because the tail is so thick? Didnt look like he was really focused on turns though. Too many barrel sections maybe? :unsure:
When Mikey showed a picture of the tail it reminded me of @racer1 's Timmy Patterson he got. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I get the impression you have plenty of power from the pics you have posted of yourself surfing.

I would think that if the rail volume is comparable to what you are riding now, SKX or whatever you are comfortable with then that should be fine even if it does distribute more volume in the tail end (tall tail end rails means more lift in my experience).

The light single concave is the highest lifting of all. Whenever there are multiple concaves the ridge where they join loses some lift. Wade's personal Keg is said by Rusty himself to have a very deep concave. Rusty says the rocker is toned down for the retail model, maybe the same happened with the concave - you should be able to make a judgment of the concave by either looking at it or putting a straight edge on it.

You are right to be concerned about PU if you are used to EPS/Epoxy. It is going to feel very different. However I came off EPS/Epoxy onto PU and it takes some getting used to, but once in tune PU that feeling of lack of speed gets replaced with a feeling of more solid drive (at the expense of some mushy/sloppy wave speed). If you do end up buying it, my suggestion would be to stop riding your EPS/Epoxy boards for a while and give your reflexes a chance to get in tune with PU.

I had a look at what a SKX was. It seems widish nose HP thruster. Possibly the 5'7 Keg you are looking at is a tad small, because that has a conventional width nose.
All good points. Im gonna try and take a look at it this weekend. If I do end up getting it i will dedicate a good month or so on it.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy.

I just have a peculiar disdain for that type of really weak surfing; to me it's a symptom of guys who could shred a bit as kids but never figured out how to turn properly as they got older and heavier and needed boards with more volume.

Exhibit A, Noel Salad, chubby Craig, Mikey C etc etc.

Just before watching I had a surf at the local and the Bong crew showed up.

Watching Parko up close, Creed McTaggart and the local shredders, putting it on rail so effortlessly but powerfully.

Then watching that vid of Mikey C. Yuck.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Watching Parko up close, Creed McTaggart and the local shredders, putting it on rail so effortlessly but powerfully.
that's the problem, you're comparing the midget's prepubescent statured surfing to a normal sized professional in person.

apples to apples it is not :shameonyou:

Reactions: MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't mean to be a negative Nancy.

I just have a peculiar disdain for that type of really weak surfing; to me it's a symptom of guys who could shred a bit as kids but never figured out how to turn properly as they got older and heavier and needed boards with more volume.

Exhibit A, Noel Salad, chubby Craig, Mikey C etc etc.

Just before watching I had a surf at the local and the Bong crew showed up.

I think the tradeoff is energy level.

Couple of things. Joel and Creed are both over 6 feet tall, which creates a different dynamic on the wave and also more power output because they weigh more and have overall more muscle.

That said, I'm guessing both Mikey and Noel's surfing has more longevity. Noel is in his late 40s and his surfing is lively and technical. Joel just turned 40 and I'd be surprised if his game is as energetic as Noel's when he hits the same age.

The bigger guys just don't seem to move as well as they age.

I still think Jersey Mike missed his calling...oh the glory!

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Wasn't just Joel and Creed.

local kids who can put a board on rail.

I dunno, the disconnect seems stark, but it could be just my biases.

Joel surfs effortlessly, and has lost a lot of weight recently.
he blew out after retiring from the Tour.

Doubt he will have much of a problem ripping as he ages. Technique is perfect.

Reactions: Maz and ReForest

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
As an anecdote, I saw Joel when he was 15 riding a single fin in 3-4ft running right-handers.

perfect flow and turns.

I think the above mentioned names would look horrible on single fins, they have no flow in their surfing and don't understand how to generate speed from simple sine wave climbing and dropping.

Reactions: urchined

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Stephanie Single, Nixie Ryan, Jai Glinderman, Mikey McDonagh, Woody Webster etc etc .

Some of whom might end up on the CT.

Bunch of others who won't but still surf really good.
Australia has a large pool of good surfers. Harley Walters is 15 and he rips.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
So I'm curious, do you feel your own surfing passes this bar? (not trying to be a dick)

Do you have any advice for adult long-time surfers who want to improve this aspect of their surfing? (asking for a friend, obviously ;))

Reactions: MathDebater

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Stab guy said not enough rocker and too flat, board description on website: “It’s most distinct feature is the high nose and tail rocker.”
looks pretty flat and flat just from the vid and pics alone. they probably outsource the copywriting to thailand also

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Stab guy said not enough rocker and too flat, board description on website: “It’s most distinct feature is the high nose and tail rocker.”
If I remember correctly Rusty gave the rocker numbers for Wade's personal 5' 11" at 5 1/2" and 2 1/2" (its in one of his podcasts). This is indeed high.

Pro model retail boards are almost never exactly the same as what the pro rides. From descriptions like that Stab comment the retail Keg does not sound like a faithful representation of Wade's personal board. If it's rocker has been lowered significantly then that would transform it into something suitable for soft waves and groveling due to the other dimensions.

Whether this is the case or not could easily be settled. Someone buy one please and put a rocker stick on it! Does not need to be same length, we can scale it up/down to 5' 11"

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
So I'm curious, do you feel your own surfing passes this bar? (not trying to be a dick)

Do you have any advice for adult long-time surfers who want to improve this aspect of their surfing? (asking for a friend, obviously ;))
Consistent access to good waves with curve and especially good point surf will get you there.

The boards for small crap surf have become really good and this is probably a big reason why so many guys don’t use their rail. There is too little time to relax in 2 ft sectiony slop so it leaves most guys working the wave rather than working with it. And if most of your surfing is done in these conditions it becomes habit, you will have to learn to chill the fuck out in quality waves.

Because of wave quality most of CA and the East Coast and Brazil doesn’t lend itself to this whereas places like South Africa and OZ do and it shows.

Last edited: